NFL asks teams not to play R&R Part 2

How does all this work?  Does the NFL have to provide a list to ASCAP or RIAA of the songs played at the stadium, then the league or team is presented with a bill?  Does anyone here have first-hand knowledge of this?

In MLB, most guys have a personal song played when they come up to bat.  Seems like if there was some sort of payment to the artist, the system could be ripe for corruption (if the money was big enough, which it probably isn't).

709492[/snapback]

I'm not quite sure how it all works, but I do know that the songwriter (who is sometime the performing artist and sometimes not) or whoever owns the rights to the song (Michael Jackson owns many of the Beattles songs) gets a payment when the song is used for commercial purposes. In the context of professional sports, any song played during the game is used for commercial purposes - it's part of the entertainment that draws fans to come to the game and buy tickets.

Any commercial use of a copyrighted song needs to be reported so a royalty for its use can be charged. Not sure of the exact mechanics, but my guess is sports teams assemble a list and send it out to groups like ASCAP which would generate some sort of fee schedule.

While I don't think a few plays of R&R II will cost a team big bucks or make someone like Gary Glitter rich, it's terrible PR for a team to be writing a check to him for any amount which is kind of what the NFL memo to teams says if you read between the lines. Doesn't matter if it's $10 or $10,000 to use the song.

I'm not quite sure how it all works, but I do know that the songwriter (who is sometime the performing artist and sometimes not) or whoever owns the rights to the song (Michael Jackson owns many of the Beattles songs) gets a payment when the song is used for commercial purposes. In the context of professional sports, any song played during the game is used for commercial purposes - it's part of the entertainment that draws fans to come to the game and buy tickets.

Any commercial use of a copyrighted song needs to be reported so a royalty for its use can be charged. Not sure of the exact mechanics, but my guess is sports teams assemble a list and send it out to groups like ASCAP which would generate some sort of fee schedule.

709544[/snapback]

I wonder if it applied to the Browns when GE Smith's band plays a cover. They played Sweet Jane when I was there a few years ago. Does Lou Reed see any of that? I'm going to have to do some research. Sounds like your thesis on the NFL not wanting a pedophile to profit from their business is correct.

This is the type of stuff that interests me. Like the SAG rules that determine how much a featured extra makes vs. someone that has a few lines.

While I don't think a few plays of R&R II will cost a team big bucks or make someone like Gary Glitter rich, it's terrible PR for a team to be writing a check to him for any amount which is kind of what the NFL memo to teams says if you read between the lines. Doesn't matter if it's $10 or $10,000 to use the song.

709544[/snapback]

I could be wrong, but doesn't the song have to be played for a certain length of time before royalties are owed? I seem to think that 30-45 seconds may be about right. That way if a 10-15 second clip were played nobody profits? Anyone have knowledge of this?

What happens is that any public venue (a restaurant, stadium, etc, etc) that plays published music usually pays a flat fee to BMI / ASCAP, etc. They then do several surveys yearly + playlists are furnished that tell them how much play a particular song / artist is getting. Artists are then compensated accordingly by the publisher they go through, depending on their deal.

Some artists do not own the rights to songs they've written (perhaps most famously, John Fogerty didn't own the Creedence catalog that he penned most of), and don't get paid when they are played, and on rare occasions even get cease-and-desist letters from the owner/publisher when they do play their songs! Ridiculous, right?! Reason enough for any artist looking for a publishing deal to eye the fine print. A lot of young ones sign over everything to the label's publisher in hopes they will make them rich.

OTOH, hopefully Glitter doesn't own his publishing, or if he does all the money goes to heavy fines he owes.

I could be wrong, but doesn't the song have to be played for a certain length of time before royalties are owed?  I seem to think that 30-45 seconds may be about right.  That way if a 10-15 second clip were played nobody profits?  Anyone have knowledge of this?

709623[/snapback]

No specific time limit (IIRC, Herbie Hancock famously sampled one hit from a Yes song and got sued). However it's been ruled on other occasions that one can sample a bassline and not get hit with a lawsuit as it's not part of the song structure/melody. The law is all over the place on this.

R&R Part 2 is the most overplayed song in sports arenas. Second is Queen's "We Will Rock You".

It would be so much better if they found some newer music to play. Music made between 1980 and now would be nice. :doh:

Any suggestions?

Mike

Given that OJ Simpson is still in the Hall of Fame and on our Wall of Fame I seriously doubt that anyone will really consider Gary Glitter's off-stage activities when they pick music.  Does the NFL want anything with Pete Townsend banned as well?

709369[/snapback]

Or MJ. Geez, this is getting out of hand. Music is just that.....music. What's next paintings or literature created by unsavory individuals?

So all Glitter music is Taboo for the NFL ?

Now I wish he had written " Who Let The Dogs Out " .  :doh:

709384[/snapback]

True story from today, I'm walking out to my work van and a pickup with a good 'ol boy pulls into the parking lot blasting, of all the annoying songs made in the last 20 years, Don't Worry, Be Happy by Bobby Mc Ferrin

It's not that anyone thinks of Gary Glitter when they hear the song, but rather that the man gets royalties every time that song is used. It's a rough PR move for a team to have to send money to an imprisioned child molester.

His situation is different than O.J. in that he was criminally convicted of a serious charge (lewd acts with 10 and 11 year old girls). No matter what you think of O.J. (I think he's guilty), in the eyes of the law he did not commit a criminal act (if he had been convicted I bet it would have had repercussions on his Hall/Wall status).

I'll also add that one of the only things people hate more than a murderer is a child molester, and that's what Glitter is.

709419[/snapback]

OJ is out of prison cuz of retards on the jury.

Maybe the NFL will also call for stadiums to stop playing "The Banana Boat Song" chant, since it was made popular from anti-american Harry Belafonte.

I have never understood why stadiums even play that.

Does the sound of someone yelling "DAAAYYYYYYYY-OH"!!!, really get people fired up at a game?

This Glitter guy is a real idiot. He's got enough money to live in basically whatever country he wants to. He has a thing for kids. So where does he choose to live? A place where adult/child sex is punished by death by firing squad! Amazing.

Maybe the NFL will also call for stadiums to stop playing "The Banana Boat Song" chant, since it was made popular from anti-american Harry Belafonte.

I have never understood why stadiums even play that.

Does the sound of someone yelling "DAAAYYYYYYYY-OH"!!!, really get people fired up at a game?

709914[/snapback]

Banana Boat Song? Harry Belafonte? Geez, every good Bills fan knows that's the Mighty Taco song.