706152[/snapback]

I was living in Philly when we signed Joe Panos..... :lol:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh you poor bastard!  :lol:

706244[/snapback]

It was embarrassing, to say the least. I dare say that Philly is on par with Boston with regard to how passionate they are about their sports, and when we overpaid for a player that was basically the butt of weekly jokes when he was with the Eagles, it was a nightmare for me, lol.

There was this kid I grew up with. He was younger than me. Sorta looked up to me, you know.

We did our first work together, worked our way out of the street. Things were good, we made the most of it. During Prohibition we ran molasses into Canada. Made a fortune -- your father too.

As much as anyone, I loved him, and trusted him. Later on he had an idea, to build a city out of a desert stop-over for GI's on the way to the West Coast. That kid's name was Bennie Anderson -- and the city he invented was Cheektawaga. This was a great man. A man of vision and guts.

And there isn't even a plaque or a signpost or a statue of him in that town! Someone put a bullet through his eye. No one knows who gave the order. When I heard it, I wasn't angry. I knew Bennie, I knew he was head-strong, talking loud, saying stupid things. So when he turned up dead...I let it go. And I said to myself, this is the business we've chosen. I didn't ask who gave the order. Because it had nothing to do with business!

It was embarrassing, to say the least. I dare say that Philly is on par with Boston with regard to how passionate they are about their sports, and when we overpaid for a player that was basically the butt of weekly jokes when he was with the Eagles, it was a nightmare for me, lol.

706249[/snapback]

well we can agree on that, i lived near Philly for 13 years.....i even went to one game when Buddy Ryan was there coach and they got smoked at home by the Cardinals. It was brutal and I don't know how Buddy made it out of the stadium alive.

MISS BENNIE ANDERSON!!!!

How could you miss him.

That would be impossible.

The guy is so big that the only way you could miss him is if you were aiming in the total opposite direction.

;)

I miss that time he lunged into his block, got caught in a bad forward step, and got spun around, leaving him no other outlet but to grab the LB's arm for a nice holding penalty. Remember that time?

There was this kid I grew up with.  He was younger than me. Sorta looked up to me, you know.

We did our first work together, worked our way out of the street. Things were good, we made the most of it. During Prohibition we ran molasses into Canada.  Made a fortune -- your father too.

As much as anyone, I loved him, and trusted him. Later on he had an idea, to build a city out of a desert stop-over for GI's on the way to the West Coast. That kid's name was Bennie Anderson -- and the city he invented was Cheektawaga. This was a great man.  A man of vision and guts.

And there isn't even a plaque or a signpost or a statue of him in that town! Someone put a bullet through his eye. No one knows who gave the order.  When I heard it, I wasn't angry.  I knew Bennie, I knew he was head-strong, talking loud, saying stupid things. So when he turned up dead...I let it go. And I said to myself, this is the business we've chosen.  I didn't ask who gave the order.  Because it had nothing to do with business!

706329[/snapback]

There are many things Bennie's father taught him here in this room. He taught him: keep your friends close, but HOLD your enemies closer.

Bennie learned his lessons well.

• 2 weeks later...