Beware of this POS on eBay

Thailog80

FWIW, I once got a Deuce McCalister signed mini helmet at saints training camp in person one year, then took it to trade at a sports memorabilia show one year, and at one of the booths was one of these liscensed professionalist who determained whether autographs were fake or real, and the guy told me it was fake. I ended up getting $20 for the helmet at another booth, but I thought it was funny.

702607[/snapback]

This happened to me with comic book artist George Perez. I saw him at a convention in Buffalo early in his career. I commissioned two sketches and got a couple comics signed. I still have the items, but a year or two later, he became very popular and changed his autograph to make it less "artsy" and quicker to sigh when faced with lines of hundreds of fans. :doh:

I have shown this to a couple people who said they would never think that was his signature. :angry:

As far as the bad jersey/fake autograph, I would still report him to eBay just to get some attention; he IS an eBay store after all. As was pointed out there was some question about Moulds autograph too.

I was approached by a buyer to cancel a couple auctions and he would give me a higher bid. He also wanted to buy other items "off eBay". I just declined his 1st request, but let him know that his other request was against my eBay sellers agreement. I guess he was a low-life or a eBay mole! :lol:

I do a bit of business on eBay (mostly selling) and I am VERY conscious of buyer and seller integrity.

Just my two cents on the autograph business...Never buy anything from anyone unless it's from a reputable business such as Upper Deck Authenticated, Tri-Star, Mounted Memories, PSA/DNA to name a few. You'll pay more but you can be pretty sure it's authentic. Somelike Tri-Star and UDA have serial numbers where you can go to their websites to verify authenticity.

702546[/snapback]

But those guys make it hard to buy stuff. They get gready and want 5,6, 7 hundred bucks for a Full sized helmet. Upper Deck is the worst at price gouging with Steiner a close second.

Mounted Memories just paid 1 million dollars to Ben Roethlisbergers exclusive rights for one year...one year. So you know they're going to have to get a ton of sigs from him and ask phenominal prices to recover their original investment. To me they'll have to flood the market and that will hurt BR's value. a million dollars....unreal.

But those guys make it hard to buy stuff. They get gready and want 5,6, 7 hundred bucks for a Full sized helmet. Upper Deck is the worst at price gouging with Steiner a close second.

Mounted Memories just paid 1 million dollars to Ben Roethlisbergers exclusive rights for one year...one year. So you know they're going to have to get a ton of sigs from him and ask phenominal prices to recover their original investment. To me they'll have to flood the market and that will hurt BR's value. a million dollars....unreal.

I agree that they charge alot...but you get what you pay for I guess....Would you rather pay $150 for a mini helmet you know is real or $50 you think might not be. Me personally I pay the 150 even though it limits my collection. The best way to know it's real is get it in person.

Heck, he could send his brother Marcus after him

You should see if you can track down an email addy for Vick.  Most players hate it when people make money off their names like this, and I'm sure Vick has "people" who could go after the guy.  Even if under normal circumstances he would't care, going after a guy who sold a sick kid a jersey would make for a good story I'm sure his agent would jump at.  Wouldn't surprise me if he got an authentic signed jersey out of the deal too.

702465[/snapback]

here is my take on this. If the kid is a vick fan, does it really matter if it is proven to be fake or real, unless of course he, himself wanted to make a bit of jack on it, couldn't he have just displayed the jersey without worrying about it? My dad sends baseball cards to players in SASE and if he gets them back, he displays them in his binder, he doesn't care if they are authentic, its the fun of getting them that he enjoys. If this kid is sick shouldn't he be grateful for the gift? I completely understand that the father got cheated, but also he should have done his homework before hand to avoid this. Call me crazy, but if I am gonna spend $600 for a shirt, i am gonna make damn sure it is real before I lay out the cash

That is why you don't buy autographed merchandise, it is very easy to get ripped off. If you want something autographed you better be willing to work for it and get it signed infront of you if you don't want to get ripped off.

And Poojer, I made the Marcus Vick Joke first

yeah but I am one of the cool people here, so readers pay closer attention to my posts then yours! Common guys who's got my back here???? Guys?????? :P

That is why you don't buy autographed merchandise, it is very easy to get ripped off. If you want something autographed you better be willing to work for it and get it signed infront of you if you don't want to get ripped off.

And Poojer, I made the Marcus Vick Joke first

703871[/snapback]

Here's my take on Ebay. As far as buying anything high in demand you're usually going to pay a hell of a lot more than if you did some searching elsewhere, such as Craig's List. I've been looking to buy a Roland electric drumset. Found a couple on Ebay that looked reasonable and placed a bid. One was actually in my area and I went to look before bidding. I was the highest bidder and watched the bid price shoot up nearly 100% in the last two minutes to a price that was WAY above what it was worth. Very frustrating. However if there is something you find that is not in high demand you may find something valuable there and a great price (ie rare books). Bidder beware.