Springsteen's Ragtime Hootenanny Revue

Rico

Thanks to a nice ticket drop yesterday on TM (General Admission Pit in front of the stage :lol: ), I saw the Boss last night at the Nissan Pavillion, WOW! I thought it was the best live Bruce show I've seen since 1984! He had about 20 people in his band (6 horns including tuba, 2 fiddle players, accordion, banjo, lots of guitars and singers, etc.) and they just blew everyone away for 2-1/2 hrs with a thunderous force! Only a handful of Bruce songs, all radically rearranged, with completely different melodies. The rest of the set was old folk standards, brought to life like I'd never heard them before (well, some of them were pretty obscure & I hadn't).... no filler, all were great. Americana at it's finest, everybody singing along, just a good time for all... great for families, I saw quite a few kids (some as young as 4-5 years old) with their parents just having a blast. A couple old folk protest songs, but no PSA's, politics were very low-key. Too bad he's not playing Buffalo (Saratoga is the closest I believe), there were a couple references with Erie Canal & Buffalo Gals. If you're a Bruce fan and are on the fence about going, DON'T MISS THIS SHOW!

Setlist:

O Mary Don't You Weep

John Henry

Johnny 99

Old Dan Tucker

Eyes On The Prize

Jesse James

Cadillac Ranch

If I Fall Behind

Erie Canal

My Oklahoma Home

Mrs. McGrath

How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live?

Jacob's Ladder

We Shall Overcome

Open All Night

Pay Me My Money Down

Encore:

Bring Them Home (If You Love Your Uncle Sam)

Ramrod

You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)

When The Saints Go Marching In

Buffalo Gals

Ditto on what he said. I was there, too, and it was an amazing performance. For the most part, old Americana tunes, but that boy can make them rock. He has done an amazing job re-arranging a few of his older tunes to this band. His band was as tight as any I have ever seen.

I swore I would never go the Nissan Pavilion after it took me over two hours to get out of the parking lot the last time I went. But, a friend lives in a apartment about a mile away and we were able to walk there. Beautiful weather last night just added to the show.

He is not doing many dates on this tour. Probably due to the logistics and $ hauling around a 20 person band. But this is a remarkable show and I am not a Bruce regular. Catch it if you can.

I swore I would never go the Nissan Pavilion after it took me over two hours to get out of the parking lot the last time I went. But, a friend lives in a apartment about a mile away and we were able to walk there. Beautiful weather last night just added to the show.

699587[/snapback]

You're lucky, that did suck. If it's not downtown or somewhere in the city, DC area shows have the absolute worst traffic situations when leaving of any venues I've ever attended. Nissan, Fed-Ex, Patriot Center... just awful. :lol:

Is Buffalo Gals about Buffalo, our fine city and our fine women?  I was never sure about that.  It took me awhile to figure out that Buffalo Soldiers was not - hahahaha.

699729[/snapback]

According to what I have found, you are right, in a manner of speaking.

Another great example that’s also on this album is “Buffalo Gals.” “Buffalo Gals” was a canal song from the Erie Canal period. The Buffalo gals had nothing to do with Buffalo soldiers. The song is about prostitutes on Canal Street in Buffalo, New York, at the end of the Erie Canal.

Dave Marsh interview

I gather that Frank Capra did not know the history of the song when he put it in "It's a Wonderful Life".

Another great example that’s also on this album is “Buffalo Gals.” “Buffalo Gals” was a canal song from the Erie Canal period. The Buffalo gals had nothing to do with Buffalo soldiers. The song is about prostitutes on Canal Street in Buffalo, New York, at the end of the Erie Canal.
Pretty wild, I never knew that. I bet the nuns who made us sing it in grade school back in Buffalo didn't either.

Another thing, Pay Me My Money Down has the same melody as John Valby's "Hey La-di La-di La-di, Hey La-di La-di Lo". I wanted to sing "I know a girl, her name is Lisa..." :lol:

I have a couple recordings of his european shows from this tour and they do sound pretty awesome, i like the eclectic mix of music he chose

Pretty wild, I never knew that. I bet the nuns who made us sing it in grade school back in Buffalo didn't either.

Another thing, Pay Me My Money Down has the same melody as John Valby's "Hey La-di La-di La-di, Hey La-di La-di Lo".  I wanted to sing "I know a girl, her name is Lisa..." :o

699760[/snapback]

Is Buffalo Gals about Buffalo, our fine city and our fine women?  I was never sure about that.  It took me awhile to figure out that Buffalo Soldiers was not - hahahaha.

699729[/snapback]

Yep. The song was written in the 1844 and it was indeed about young girls from Buffalo, NY. It is mentioned in the "Little House on the Prairie" books by Laura Ingalls Wilder and makes an significant appearance in Frank Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life", which is set in upstate New York.

Not a huge fan of this kind of music, but this is a damn good one.

http://music.aol.com/photo-galleries/18-ni...r?icid=wed:dl11

Click to  the fourth one, John Henry.

702600[/snapback]

Believe me, I'm not a huge fan of this kind of music either, but it's all about the presentation... This isn't "A Mighty Wind", this is Springsteen Wall of Sound. And though I think Bruce is one of the greatest live performers of all time, his own written songs after Nebraska have been pretty spotty... all the songs he's covering on this tour are much better IMO, better lyrically and better melody for being played live. And without all the warhorses, it's all very fresh.

I've going to 2 more shows (MSG & Tweeter Center- Camden, NJ right outside of Philly), got General Admission Pit - Front of Stage for both, can't wait!

Not a huge fan of this kind of music, but this is a damn good one.

http://music.aol.com/photo-galleries/18-ni...r?icid=wed:dl11

Click to  the fourth one, John Henry.

702600[/snapback]

Thanks for posting this - I was unaware. An AOL site that has some content?

I've going to 2 more shows (MSG & Tweeter Center- Camden, NJ right outside of Philly), got General Admission Pit - Front of Stage for both, can't wait!

702621[/snapback]

Good on ya' - Enjoy. Try as I might, I will be unable to make any more shows.

? for you - I noticed that neither the aol site above nor XM carried Roger Waters performance from Rockin in Rio after it had been posted on their sites. Something to the effect was posted "Due to circumstances beyond our control, we will be unable to broadcast Roger Waters...." Yet, Santana was broadcast on both just prior to when Waters took the stage. Have you heard any explanation? It would

not surprise me if Waters put the kibosh on it rather than a technical issue.

Thanks for posting this - I was unaware. An AOL site that has some content?

Good on ya' - Enjoy.  Try as I might, I will be unable to make any more shows.

? for you - I noticed that neither the aol site above nor XM carried Roger Waters performance from Rockin in Rio after it had been posted on their sites. Something to the effect was posted "Due to circumstances beyond our control, we will be unable to broadcast Roger Waters...." Yet, Santana was broadcast on both just prior to when Waters took the stage. Have you heard any explanation? It would

not surprise me if Waters put the kibosh on it rather than a technical issue.

703291[/snapback]

I don't know, first I've heard of it... AOL & XM might not have it, but someone in South America might've grabbed it....may turn up on Dime before too long.

if it was pulled for some valid reason(whatever that reason may be)Dime seems pretty vigilant in not letting it stay up on thier site. They do a good job of policing those that visit, it is nice that they do everything to keep things above board

I don't know, first I've heard of it... AOL & XM might not have it, but someone in South America might've grabbed it....may turn up on Dime before too long.

703349[/snapback]