25 Worst Tech Products of All Time

The Dean

This list is bogus.

Windows ME in the top 5? Please, it's not even the worst Microsoft OS -- Microsoft Bob, anyone? ( http://www.bentuser.com/article.aspx?ID=327 )

The Iomega Zip drive a bad producti? Give me a break - they were perfect for the time. Yeah, there were some failures, but as the article says - they sold 10s of millions iof them, and for most people, they worked fine. We had them at the U of Minnesota, and never had a complaint.

And how can you say the iSmell is one of the worst tech products when it never made it past the prototype stage?! In that case, wouldn't the cloaking device be rated much higher? ( http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/05/25/invisib...k.ap/index.html )

Oh well, it was an amusing read, just not accurate at all <_<

CW

I have firsthand knowledge of the Iomega Zip Drive Click of Death.

Had nearly completed a three-week Quark layout project that counted as our final. Went to save the file at the end of the class (two days before it was due).... Click. Click. Click.

<_<

I have firsthand knowledge of the Iomega Zip Drive Click of Death.

Had nearly completed a three-week Quark layout project that counted as our final. Went to save the file at the end of the class.... Click. Click. Click.

<_<

698773[/snapback]

That's why you should always have more than one copy of all of your data :blink:

This list is bogus.

Windows ME in the top 5?  Please, it's not even the worst Microsoft OS -- Microsoft Bob, anyone? ( http://www.bentuser.com/article.aspx?ID=327 )

The Iomega Zip drive a bad producti?  Give me a break - they were perfect for the time.  Yeah, there were some failures, but as the article says - they sold 10s of millions iof them, and for most people, they worked fine.  We had them at the U of Minnesota, and never had a complaint.

And how can you say the iSmell is one of the worst tech products when it never made it past the prototype stage?!  In that case, wouldn't the cloaking device be rated much higher? ( http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/05/25/invisib...k.ap/index.html )

Oh well, it was an amusing read, just not accurate at all <_<

CW

698760[/snapback]

I would have ranked Windows ME #1. Worst operating system of all time. A total POS.

I think Iomega got it for how they handled the situation.

I would have ranked Windows ME #1.  Worst operating system of all time.  A total POS.

I think Iomega got it for how they handled the situation.

698782[/snapback]

Windows ME is probably the worst to ever be widely used.

Microsoft Bob, however...that was f'in horrible. Far worse than Windows ME. As all eight people who bought it will attest...

I'd also rank OS/2 Warp worse than Windows ME...but that's just my opinion. And IBM's...that OS was so bad, not even IBM would us it...and it was their product. <_<

That's why you should always have more than one copy of all of your data <_<

698777[/snapback]

So, a starving college student is supposed to buy how many of those $15 disks, just to be safe that one of them will actually work?

I used Zip on my own computer to transfer and be able to access large files b/w home and school (I commuted), and the theory of it was great. But it only needs to not work that one time, and come to find out that Iomega was aware there were many incidents and they did nothing. Our tech person tried SpinRite and some other stuff to no avail. I can somewhat laugh about it now, but at the time it really effed my life over for a while.

Their listing is well deserved, in my mind.

So, a starving college student is supposed to buy how many of those $15 disks, just to be safe that one of them will actually work?

Three. And an extra hard drive. That's how many it took to safeguard my master's thesis.

I used Zip on my own computer to transfer and be able to access large files b/w home and school (I commuted), and the theory of it was great. But it only needs to not work that one time, and come to find out that Iomega was aware there were many incidents and they did nothing. Our tech person tried SpinRite and some other stuff to no avail. I can somewhat laugh about it now, but at the time it really effed my life over for a while.

698786[/snapback]

Exactly...you're complaining about the expense of the disk, then complaining about the expense of NOT having a backup. Skip a meal, spend the extra money.

I had a client not two months ago learn that lesson. Didn't back up enterprise-level operational data because it was "too expensive" (at most, $300). Lost their data, took $100k and six weeks to restore from scratch. BAD risk analysis, whether it's your school project or several hundred million dollars worth of financial data...

Three.  And an extra hard drive.  That's how many it took to safeguard my master's thesis.

Exactly...you're complaining about the expense of the disk, then complaining about the expense of NOT having a backup.  Skip a meal, spend the extra money. 

I had a client not two months ago learn that lesson.  Didn't back up enterprise-level operational data because it was "too expensive" (at most, $300).  Lost their data, took $100k and six weeks to restore from scratch.  BAD risk analysis, whether it's your school project or several hundred million dollars worth of financial data...

698790[/snapback]

To be sure, it was a Lesson Learned.

I had a client not two months ago learn that lesson.  Didn't back up enterprise-level operational data because it was "too expensive" (at most, $300).  Lost their data, took $100k and six weeks to restore from scratch.  BAD risk analysis, whether it's your school project or several hundred million dollars worth of financial data...

698790[/snapback]

Here's one for you. Company I used to work for, one of the employees went out and set up a tape backup on their server. Never actually set up the backup jobs to run, just did one initial backup. So of course 6 months later, their server hard drive goes bang, and they lose 6 months worth of data. I spent a week in that office with someone else, pulling all their sales orders and re-entering them in the system. The guy that did the initial install, he was still out there, doing new installs.

Walmart's decision to sell computers with Linux installed on them.

Smart scan technology in Norton Antivirus. The default settings didn't scan for .vbs files. (ex loveletter virus)

Internet 2

Message Boards dedicated to Lost and American Idol.