RIP Rolling Rock (in Latrobe, PA)

The Dean

WTF, I know it's not one of the world's great beers, but RR was what it was. A light, clean, crisp brew. Head and shoulders above the crap being pumped out by AB, Miller and Coors. The 7oz "ponies" are one of the great things in the world (since the demise of OV Splits).

The news that AB is buying RR and closing the Latrobe brewery is hearbreaking to This Dean. :(

http://niagarafallsreporter.com/column265.html

WTF, I know it's not one of the world's great beers, but RR was what it was.  A light, clean, crisp brew.  Head and shoulders above the crap being pumped out by AB, Miller and Coors.  The 7oz "ponies" are one of the great things in the world (since the demise of OV Splits).

The news that AB is buying RR and closing the Latrobe brewery is hearbreaking to This Dean.  :(

698191[/snapback]

WTF, I know it's not one of the world's great beers, but RR was what it was.  A light, clean, crisp brew.  Head and shoulders above the crap being pumped out by AB, Miller and Coors.  The 7oz "ponies" are one of the great things in the world (since the demise of OV Splits).

The news that AB is buying RR and closing the Latrobe brewery is hearbreaking to This Dean.  :P

698191[/snapback]

AB is buying up a lot of smaller breweries in order to increase market share. Rolling Rock and some microbrews are selling out to The Man. Coors and Miller are more concerned with marketing to gain market share (I am still trying to figure out what cold tastes like :( ).

Sorry for your loss, but I was never a fan of old #33.

698198[/snapback]

Rolling Rock was always a nice summer keg for really hot days.

A little thin, but on a day over 80 nobody cared.

FUsmiley to Bud.

AB is buying up a lot of smaller breweries in order to increase market share. Rolling Rock and some microbrews are selling out to The Man. Coors and Miller are more concerned with marketing to gain market share (I am still trying to figure out what cold tastes like  :( ).

698202[/snapback]

WTF is THAT all about. Our beer is COLDER than their beer? At lerast now they have the lined cans to talk about. I know it's not much but it fits the marketing.

WTF is THAT all about.  Our beer is COLDER than their beer?  At lerast now they have the lined cans to talk about.  I know it's not much but it fits the marketing.

698207[/snapback]

AB tried to buy one of the microbrews out your way: Stone. Fortunately, the owners of Stone turned them down.

As far as the cans, it is a crock of stojan. Ribbed cans to keep it colder longer? WTF? Are they afraid that the beer will go up to proper serving temperatures and you will actually taste how bad it really is?

AB tried to buy one of the microbrews out your way: Stone. Fortunately, the owners of Stone turned them down.

As far as the cans, it is a crock of stojan. Ribbed cans to keep it colder longer? WTF? Are they afraid that the beer will go up to proper serving temperatures and you will actually taste how bad it really is?

698213[/snapback]

I believe the cans are ribbed for her pleasure.

(I am still trying to figure out what cold tastes like  :( ).

698202[/snapback]

Think "rich Corinthian leather," Ricardo.

Here's something else I don't undertand. In promoting, Budweiser Select, the master brewer spokesman talks about how sometimes you just need to do things right.

If Budweiser Select is "doing it right," then why do they keep making regular Budweiser, which is clearly "doing it wrong?"

How many times can you come out and say "Okay...now THIS is the way we meant to have our beer taste"?

Here's something else I don't undertand. In promoting, Budweiser Select, the master brewer spokesman talks about how sometimes you just need to do things right.

If Budweiser Select is "doing it right," then why do they keep making regular Budweiser, which is clearly "doing it wrong?"

How many times can you come out and say "Okay...now THIS is the way we meant to have our beer taste"?

698228[/snapback]

Totally breaking from the beer, but staying on the same theme here:

Have you seen the commercial where the guy hang glides down to his SUV? Don't most truck and SUV commercials show the vehicles on top of impossible hills? This guy's SUV can't even get him home! How the hell does he get home after his SUV quits?

I think that is a TERRIBLE statement about the product.

Totally breaking from the beer, but staying on the same theme here:

Have you seen the commercial where the guy hang glides down to his SUV?  Don't most truck and SUV commercials show the vehicles on top of impossible hills?  This guy's SUV can't even get him home!  How the hell does he get home after his SUV quits?

I think that is a TERRIBLE statement about the product.

698230[/snapback]

I keep laughing at that car commercial with the little fairy.

Everybody has seen the fairy, but nobody can remember the

car or the automaker.

But I digress, back to beer.

I keep laughing at that car commercial with the little fairy.

Everybody has seen the fairy, but nobody can remember the

car or the automaker.

But I digress, back to beer.

698231[/snapback]

I love that commercial, too...the fairy is HOT!

No mention of Iron City.

Are they going to buy that too?

698214[/snapback]

They can have my Iron City when they pry it from my cold dead drunk hand

I remember one of the first parties i went to in college, there was a totally trashed dude with a rolling rock trying to dance. he ended up dropping the bottle and it shattered glass and splashed beer everywhere, then looked around and said "dude, it didn't roll"

698228[/snapback]

I have never had the Select, but I am guessing that it is their way of trying to compete with the craft brew market while still appealing to as many people as possible. The craft brew market is increasing and the BMC's (Bud, Miller, Coors) are taking notice. My guess would be that Select gets rid of the rice that they normally use in Bud and sticks to mainly a malted barley grain bill and then they bump up the hops a bit (to the point where you might actually taste them :( ).

I have never had the Select, but I am guessing that it is their way of trying to compete with the craft brew market while still appealing to as many people as possible. The craft brew market is increasing and the BMC's (Bud, Miller, Coors) are taking notice. My guess would be that Select gets rid of the rice that they normally use in Bud and sticks to mainly a malted barley grain bill and then they bump up the hops a bit (to the point where you might actually taste them  :( ).

698359[/snapback]

I tried it. Not sure what they changed but it tasted like sh------- Budweiser to me.