I look for Aaron Schrobel to have a very good year

I consider that a good thing.

698701[/snapback]

Amen! He is the reason Bruce had a resurgence in Buffalo that he did when Phil arrived. Sure, he won Defensive POTY because of what Paup did the year before, but Hansen had a lot to do with that as well.

I really have no problem with aaron schobel  he's a very good but not great player.  He doesnt command the respect that guys like freeney, peppers, strahan, taylor rice etc command, but he's far from a slouch he's a borderline top tier de, who would benefit greatly if we had a true pass rusher opposite him or at least  another source to generate pressure.  We should get that from our dt's at least hypothetically, and it should free up schobel to give him more opportunities to rush the passer, and make plays in the backfield.

698009[/snapback]

Exactly. Look at the stats. He'll have a game against the likes of Houston with 3 sacks and another game of a couple. The rest of the season he doesn't provide much of a threat. Other than the sacks, he doesn't provide a consistent pass rush.

He generally is also handled one-on-one. He doesn't require a double-team.

Exactly.  Look at the stats.  He'll have a game against the likes of Houston with 3 sacks and another game of a couple.  The rest of the season he doesn't provide much of a threat.  Other than the sacks, he doesn't provide a consistent pass rush.

699346[/snapback]

From my look at Schobel's play he definitely had variable games. However, I did not see a conistent reason why he did not produce sacks.

Some games he was in fact nullied one on one by a defender/

However, in other games he was doubled but this likely because the opposing O decided to run at him rather than away from him and he was at the point of attacj.

We were really blitzing rhe LBs with the zone blitz and when the LB s are coming this means a DE is dropping back in short zone coverage, this was often Schobel who has really develop some athleticism and shed weight to do this..

I wish I had paid fuller attention to specific players but I must admit as the went down the toilet my note taking on players took a hit as I could not stomac much tape review,

Still, it seemed that one reason why Schobel did not provide a consistent pass rush is that Gray did not sue him that wat. Schobels job in the zone blitz was to show rush and drop back into pass coverage or show driooing back and rush.

I remember watching him with a couple of buds and for a quarter we played watch Schoble and call wether he was ruahing or dropping back and he was pretty good at disguising his intent. In order to make an accurate assessment of how hos rish game was doing it became important to watch his teaamates and to attemopy yo figure out his resposiilitities.

From watching the variation in his olay and utilization (which actually mirrors that there was a significant variation in hs sack production fro game to fame.

A belivable analysis would be one which attempted to match the variations in his sack/pressure numbers. However since wr are going to ise a whole defense this year I'm not sure anyone will take the time.

On the other side, this is a contract year for Kelsay...

I hope the light finally turns on in his head & he shows up for all 16 games.

699533[/snapback]

I sure hope he turns it on. If so, I think he and Denney would make a strong rotation at left DE. If not, he's likely to lead to a future compensitory pick - - maybe a high one.

Last year with lack of inside DT pressure we had a lot of QB's feeling very comfortable in stepping up into the pocket to buy extra time....

I think that this year we are going to get a lot more pressure from our DT's......allowing an edge rusher like Schrobel a lot more opportunites for sacks....

JMO

697897[/snapback]

I look for Schobel to have a typical year for him. That means 11 sacks or so, 80% of which come against the two worst teams on our schedule, whoever they end up being. :lol:

Exactly.  Look at the stats.  He'll have a game against the likes of Houston with 3 sacks and another game of a couple.  The rest of the season he doesn't provide much of a threat.  Other than the sacks, he doesn't provide a consistent pass rush.

699346[/snapback]

Actually, I'd say Schobel was perhaps our most consistent player last year. He regularly would be a half second from getting to the QB on passing plays, and was solid against the run. He was the only one who looked like he was definitely going to get to the QB if given 6-7 seconds on almost every play.

Schobel DID display more moves last year. In 2004 his best (and only really strong) move was the loop around LT. Last year he displayed a strong burst to the inside on quite a few plays. I think this put much more pressure on the opposing O-line to account for him than in the past.

Between Jennings, Pat Williams, and Schobel, I think Donahoe extended the right player.

699672[/snapback]

No brainer in hindsight. Sure Phat Pat is still great...but for how long?

Schobel is a top 10 DE. He matches up with or betters most DEs in the league.

By the way, I remember the days when most NFL magazines (pre internet) would slot Hansen into the #9 or #10 DE spot on their lists.

Man that was an awesome D-line we had...Big Ted in the middle if I remember correctly. He was considered at one point to be #3 or there abouts.

Schobel = Hansen

698477[/snapback]

With all due respect to Hansen (a very good Buffalo Bill), I think Schobel is a better player. Hansen had the luxury of playing with Bruce Smith, Marcellus Wiley, and Byrce Paup on much better overall Bills teams. Schobel has never had an opposite pass rusher close to those three. As the original poster mention, hopefully the interior of the line will get some pressue and ease up some of the burden on AS.