Why are some convinced that JP will fail?

Rubes

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though he did regress against New England which caused him to find the bench again.

697979[/snapback]

Criminy...if this coaching staff handled Bledsoe the same way, he'd have been benched years ago. Doesn't pretty much everyone regress against New England? Including the coaching staff? Should have benched those MF's after the 'naked bootleg' fiasco.

Criminy...if this coaching staff handled Bledsoe the same way, he'd have been benched years ago. Doesn't pretty much everyone regress against New England? Including the coaching staff? Should have benched those MF's after the 'naked bootleg' fiasco.

698107[/snapback]

I wasn't agreeing with his benching, as feel he should have been given the full year to develop, just presenting the stats that were asked for.

I wasn't agreeing with his benching, as feel he should have been given the full  year to develop, just presenting the stats that were asked for.

698114[/snapback]

I know, I wasn't agreeing with it either.

698107[/snapback]

They were fired.

What exactly does "can make all the throws" mean?  He didn't make a lot of the throws last year.  He often overthrew, or underthrew to receivers. 

Like you, I am not convinced one way or another about Losman yet.  In his favor, in my eyes, is that he showed significant improvement in decision making, during his second (albeit too brief) stint as a starter. 

There are some similarities to RJ, but one significant difference, which I believe is in JP's favor, is a strong desire to succeed.  RJ never seemed all that fiery, or frankly, overly concerned if he was the starter or the back-up...he was getting paid either way.  As you pointed out, it certainly seems like JP is a hard worker, since being the named the starter last year.  I have some doubts about the "next Favre" stuff, but I am still optimistic that he can be very good.  He just needs a lot more experience.

697158[/snapback]

I agree with most of your post. However, I think part of the reason why he was not able to make "all the throws" was due to the fact that in most cases he did not have the time to completely step into his throws. I remember many games, especially against the Patriots, where he started in the shotgun, and before he could even look up after receiving the ball, he saw 2-3 D-linemen 2 feet away!! Now, I am definitely not sold on Losman yet, but I really believe that if given the chance, we may finally have found Kelly's replacement. I Mean, let's face it, even Kelly in his prime couldn't really play well with this horrible offensive line! And, unfortunately, I really don't see it being any better this year. I also fully agree with your statement on the RJ thing. To me, when you see a picture of his face in the huddle, you can just tell that he wants to win and succeed so badly. Imo, that right there is half the battle. He has all the talent, let's just give him this season(16 games) to see if there is marked improvement. The last thing I want to see is the Bills getting rid of him, and then he turns into a superstar on another team.

I wish I had tivo last year and the ticket to break down all the games but....I don't have em...However, i've never been so nervous watching a Bills quarterback play...so many of his throws were wild and way off their mark and there was many, many passes that were nearly intercepted. I love the way he can scramble away from pressure but to me he's a turnover waiting to happen. I like the way he'll tuck it and run if there's nothing there, but alot of the times there was something there and he just didn't see it.

Also he needs to learn to not lower his shoulder and run over LB's cause it's just not gonna happen.

He completed only 113 of 228 passes last year, his second in the NFL.  Any QB that falls short of 50% is an unconditional bust with no redeeming qualities.

Hang 'em high!

699056[/snapback]

His second year in the NFL, but his first season where he actually received playing time. He was injured for most of his rookie season and only played in a couple of drives the year before So essentially he was a rookie last year.

So essentially he was a rookie last year.

Um, no. He had his whole rookie year to study the playbook, study film of whichever quarterbacks the coaches chose to show him, and to take mental reps in practice. In addition, he had two years worth of summer sessions with which to prepare for his second year. I'll agree he received only token playing time as a rookie, and that he missed a lot of thowing sessions because of that broken leg. But while his situation wasn't quite the same as the typical QB who spends his rookie year on the bench, neither was it the same as a true rookie who gets thrown in without a real chance to learn the whole playbook.

I wish I had tivo last year and the ticket to break down all the games but....I don't have em...However, i've never been so nervous watching a Bills quarterback play...so many of his throws were wild and way off their mark and there was many, many passes that were nearly intercepted. I love the way he can scramble away from pressure but to me he's a turnover waiting to happen. I like the way he'll tuck it and run if there's nothing there, but alot of the times there was something there and he just didn't see it.

Also he needs to learn to not lower his shoulder and run over LB's cause it's just not gonna happen.

699065[/snapback]

Cantankerous,

Luckily I do have TIVO and have several of the games still on it......

Losman's accuracy is not near as bad as you remember it to be......it shoudl be known that at the beginning of the season his accuracy was poor.....after the first game.....but for christ sake look what this coaching staff did to him. A young QB like that needs a outlet pass when he doens't see it open downfield...i.e. A TIGHT END.....Mularky and his gimmick offense did nothing to help JP Losman

When he came back from his benching he was MUCH more accurate.....and anytime he had a chance to step into a throw it was on a frozen rope to a receiver.......I went back and looked at the "almost interceptions" beleive it or not several of those were from the receiver falling down and not where they were supposed to be......

Um, no.  He had his whole rookie year to study the playbook, study film of whichever quarterbacks the coaches chose to show him, and to take mental reps in practice.  In addition, he had two years worth of summer sessions with which to prepare for his second year.  I'll agree he received only token playing time as a rookie, and that he missed a lot of thowing sessions because of that broken leg.  But while his situation wasn't quite the same as the typical QB who spends his rookie year on the bench, neither was it the same as a true rookie who gets thrown in without a real chance to learn the whole playbook.

700628[/snapback]

I see so "mental reps" and offseason camps are supposed to fully prepare him for live action......

Christ..... :lol:

JP Losman was a QB drafted from a small school who we knew full well needed work on his mechanics when we even drafted him.....he was not an "NFL stir and ready" QB and we knew that.....

He needs PLAYING TIME in order to work out the rough edges.....not mental reps

I see so "mental reps" and offseason camps are supposed to fully prepare him for live action......

Not what I said. But mental reps, studying film, and learning the playbook are supposed to help. Chris Spielman produced on-field results far in excess of his talents largely through his extra dedication in the film room. It's not unrealistic to expect film study and other forms of preparation to help Losman too.

Holcomb please....

That IS basically what you said even if it isn't word for word. Someone called him a rookie and you are basically saying..."no he isn't a rookie because he has gotten mental reps and film to study"

If JP Losman had come from a pro scheme school in a major conference then I might be more inclined to agree with you....but that is not the case. Losman needs REAL TIME situations.....

Also....please dont relate playing linebacker to playing quarterback....as a former player and a coach I know this is bunk. These are 2 entirely differnet positions. A QB has to have control over what is going on a LOT more then a linebacker does (who basically has an area of responsibility, some defensive schemes to understand, and a desirable ability go out and take someones head off)

Holcomb please....

That IS basically what you said even if it isn't word for word.  Someone called him a rookie and you are basically saying..."no he isn't a rookie because he has gotten mental reps and film to study"

Perhaps I should make myself more clear. You could divide mistakes up into three categories:

- Those which could be avoided by knowing the playbook

- Those which could be avoided by studying film

- Those which could be avoided through playing time and experience.

With respect to the first two, Losman was a second-year player. With respect to the third, he was basically a rookie. Overall, these things average out to where you'd expect fewer mistakes from Losman than from a true rookie, but more from him than from a guy who'd been playing his whole rookie year.