Offensive Free Agents still available

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was posted on scout.com over the weekend.  nothing new, just thought someone would like to read a football article.

i doubt the Bills will do much FA shopping from here on out unless they get some injuries.

there isn't much to look at on this list.

Offensive Free Agents Still Avaliable

695694[/snapback]

The one that stands out to me is Brad Hopkins. That would be the one that would be the most intriguing if we signed one of those players.

I think we actually could use some back-up OL help at every OL position on the roster besides LG (my hope would be that their is credible -but not great as we did not budget for a starter quality player at back-uo- plan B and if plab B has failings even a plan C at each position.

Despite some folks being upset about LG, with Reyes, Anderson and Preston on the depth chart at LG, I think we can meet this model.

As far as other positions:

RT: Aaron Gibson and Greg Jerman backing up Peterd. Gibson is intiguing but he is a fat tub of goo, but the thing is even a fat tub of good looks like an upgade over Jerman. One of these two plan C level players needs to step it up to plan B levels.

RG: I aee huge need for a back-up here as though I like Villarisl as a player, he has expienced nicks that have caused him to miss games at an acelerated level the couple of years. I actually like Preston as a plan B here but he is on the depth at #2 on LG so this is a question and he also seens a better candidate than Geisinger at back-up C,

C: See above

LG: Set for the competition.

LT: Morgan looks like a reach to me here.

Overall, we need the competition in OTAs and camp to sort out who stays and who goes as I think we will need to do some FA shopping for back-up quality players like Jeff Mitchell and Raymer and/Brown, Hopkins or Riley (T rather than G mpost likely IMHO to fill out the line. The problem may actually be having a traffic-jam of not good but back-up quality players at OL.

I'd rather the bills not sign any of these people.  Its a really sad list.

695793[/snapback]

Yes, they are a sad lot, but I think the issue for us is are these inadequate players better than the inadequate players we already have on our roster?

The good news for us is that I think for the most part the answer is no. For examplw, I think more highly of whoever the winner is of the JP/Holcomb/Nall duel than I do of Kerry Collins or Fiedler).

However, though I do feel better about our OL than many posters (to me the 5 likely starters are better than an OL which featured Teague, MW and likely Anderson) I still have grave questions about the quality of the OL back-ups.

Most folks get so caught up in the ESPN overhype on the draft that they get focused on simple determinations of a players atheletic value when the real deal is not comparison to some objective standard buy instead on whether a player is better than what you got at a cap hit you can afford and still build a total team.

This was shown when some folks argued a few years back when we had a shot at acquiing Sam Adams that he was a fat tub of goo on the backside of his career.

I agreed with this assessment, but still argued we should acquire Adams because even a fat tub of goo was better than our current starter Edwards.

The question is not simply one of whether Jeff Mitchell or Cory Raymer are good players at C. The question is whether either of these two are better back-ups than our current #2 at C Geisinger.

Signing an inadequate player may be exactly the right thing for the Bills to do right now at certain positions.

The question is not simply one of whether Jeff Mitchell or Cory Raymer are good players at C.  The question is whether either of these two are better back-ups than our current #2 at C Geisinger.

Signing an inadequate player may be exactly the right thing for the Bills to do right now at certain positions.

695874[/snapback]

A couple of points:

1) You surprisingly left out salary cap issues. You frequently make references to the sport/business issue. If signing another ufa scrub in addition to the ones we have already signed will hurt our salary cap number down the road, why do it?

2) It NEVER pays to sign inadequate players. We should know. Takeo Spikes was a great signing. So was Chris Speilman. Kris Farris was a bad signing. So was Joe Panos.

If we are going to face facts, we must admit that Ralph wasn't going anywhere near a premier ufa such as Hutchinson, need notwithstanding. The best chance for the Bills to acquire good players was the draft, especially because we had early picks.

Levy chose to draft little secondary players, and give away a pick while doing so. Paint this any way you choose, but this is probably not good. You know why?

Because we took a safety with the #8. This has happened only a few times in the history of NFL drafts. Insult to injury? He wasn't even the first safety selected. Levy followed this idiocy up with giving away a first day pick, and selecting 2 more secondary players with the next 3 picks.

Nice. :w00t:;)

You want to follow up this mess by signing additional second rate ufas that nobody else wanted (despite the huge increase in the cap)? :w00t:

Whatever. Me, I would rather see if any of the young players we have are any good.

The one that stands out to me is Brad Hopkins.  That would be the one that would be the most intriguing if we signed one of those players.

695727[/snapback]

I don't see Ross Verba's name on this list, but I don't remember hearing that he had signed with any team yet .... last I heard, Green Bay was supposedly interested in him.

Anyone know if he's still available?

GO BILLS!

Levy chose to draft little secondary players, and give away a pick while doing so. Paint this any way you choose, but this is probably not good. You know why?

695907[/snapback]

your arguements against DB's are getting really old and tired. also, last time i checked, we traded a pick to select McCargo, and he's neither little, nor does he play in the secondary.

your arguements against DB's are getting really old and tired. also, last time i checked, we traded a pick to select McCargo, and he's neither little, nor does he play in the secondary.

695911[/snapback]

Hey, as a Bills Fan, taking a blind and stupid approach is probably the right thing to do in terms of this draft. After all, it really is a done deal.

If you think that this was a good draft, I envy you.

Hey, as a Bills Fan, taking a blind and stupid approach is probably the right thing to do in terms of this draft. After all, it really is a done deal.

If you think that this was a good draft, I envy you.

695923[/snapback]

The problem is, where we were picking, there were no linemen available to take that could make a real impact. We took players who are going to be able to contribute and make a bigger impact a lot sooner than any o-linemen we could have drafted.

I'm not saying it was smart to NOT draft o-linemen, but you cant really argue with who we drafted.

Whitner - we have no SS. Do you trust the 2-headed monster of bowen/wire? I dont.

Simpson - Vincent is getting up there in years. We needed a FS. This way, Simpson can learn the position from TV for a season or 2, and then step right in as a starter as early as next season.

McCargo - we needed DT help, this adressed that need

Youboty - Theres a good chance we lose clements next offseason. We have a player who can fill in that role as a starting CB, a player who is potentially 1st round talent that we snagged in the first round.

IMO, our offensive line woes also have a lot to do with no consistency. Sure it helps having all-pros like hutch, but consider the fact that seattles o-line has stayed the same for the past 3 seasons. We did acquire some solid o-linemen in fowler and reyes. and maybe if we let a line develop together for more than 4 games they can turn into something good.

One question tho, and i'm not accusing you in particular of this, just the board in general; Why are lineman additions such as fowler and reyes automatically dismissed as nothing, yet people think a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick is automatically a gold mine, sure-fire all pro?

I thought Brad Hopkins retired. and not on that list is Ross Verba, unless the bucs signed him without much fan fair.  after releasing Mike williams of course

695972[/snapback]

According to a May 7 article at JS Online the Packers worked Verba out but sounds like they passed on him since he wasn't signed. To be honest I think he might be outpricing himself and/or just doesn't have anything left in the tank. Hopkins has seen his best years behind him and to me think we're better off with Gandy and looking and see if Pennington is nothing more then camp fodder this year.

One question tho, and i'm not accusing you in particular of this, just the board in general; Why are lineman additions such as fowler and reyes automatically dismissed as nothing, yet people think a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick is automatically a gold mine, sure-fire all pro?

695995[/snapback]

It appears that neither Fowler or Reyes were wanted back by their previous teams, they were not pursued by anyone other than the Bills, they signed relatively cheap contracts (at least Reyes did, Fowler may have gotten more... not sure), and they've bounced around the league playing for a few teams. It's not fair to them, but until we see them play, it is what it is.

And "gold mine, sure-fire all pro" is an exaggeration... the difference is the 2nd or 3rd round pick doesn't have any obvious holes in their resume yet (unlike the journeymen FA's mentioned above) other than lack of experience... and the upside and potential to be good is far greater (though still unknown).

IMO, our offensive line woes also have a lot to do with no consistency. Sure it helps having all-pros like hutch, but consider the fact that seattles o-line has stayed the same for the past 3 seasons. We did acquire some solid o-linemen in fowler and reyes. and maybe if we let a line develop together for more than 4 games they can turn into something good.

I think you hit the head of the nail, Ramius.