OT- What were you doing 27 years ago?

Thanks to all of you.  Many laugh out loud posts here.

My day - one of my male friend woke me up at 5:15 because I told him I was having a hard time gettin up in the morning to go work out at the GYM.  I answered the phone and got tot he GYM.  The older man had the CD Dance Party on and it was music that "WE" use to listen too.  Of course Larry would never admit to liking any DISCO stuff but I loved the music.  So the work out and the tredmill time flew by. Work other than the hiding in the basement for a cry and the thread starter period was fine. 

The posters of theWALL made me laugh out loud time after time.  The one that still cracks me up was A+B=C  hey was happening.  The shaving and gel underwear um well stevestojan a smile or 2.

Tonight I went on a date for a weiner roast(don't laugh) at a state park. I had said yes to this guy for our third date to be on Friday not knowing that the Friday was OCT 1st.  All I can say was that I did not break down once and cry, but I was totally not myself either. I think he noticed and I did tell him that this is not me. I had nervous energy and was not comfortable riding in my car. He likes to look at me when talking and it scares me.

I wasn't sure he saw the Black bear and her two cubs in the road. - then there were the 6 deer -- then the 3 deer--so when we got back to the city I just said Dairy Queen -enter-enter-enter.  Can you imagine what he was thinking.

I don't think this city girl is cut out to be a country girl. Bedtime Good night people.

52877[/snapback]

Which state park. Lechworth?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You spoke of tents earlier, 89. I have a few tent camping stories. I used to take groups of junior high kids on a backpacking camp in the Allegheny National Forest in PA. We taught them how to set up their tents, how to operate camp stoves and cook. One group of particularly cocky city kids one time were going to cook their meal. They lit their stove, set their aluminum pot on it, and then went to get water. By the time they got back, they'd burned a hole in their pot.

A few years later I led a camp for fathers and sons. We canoed to a water access only campground, also in Allegheny National Forest. We set up camp in an area where there were apple trees. In the evening the deer came down off the hill looking for green apples that had fallen from the trees. Some of the kids were able to get within a foot or two of these half tame deer. They were absolutely thrilled.

Then there's my scary animal story. My wife and i were tent camping with our three kids several years ago. We didn't even think about wild animals being in the area. In our foolishness we put garbage in a plastic bag and leaned it against a tree. That night it rained. Sometime in the middle of the night we woke up to a the sound of raccoons fighting over our garbage. I didn't realize raccoons could sound so nasty. So here we are. It's raining out, raccoons are fighting and they sound like they weigh about 60 lbs apiece (in reality they were probably no more than 30 lbs), and all of a sudden I have to go to the bathroom.

Any more tenting stories out there?

I think Nanker might get upset with Bib.

52767[/snapback]

Naw, Bib was right on. Paco though... well he's right too! ;)

The thing is, my wife is in England on business and will be coming home today.

I'm making some "special preparations" for her return. :devil:

The very lovely Cindy and I traded PMs, which was nice - as we were both "celebrating" our anniversaries alone.

Naw, Bib was right on. Paco though... well he's right too! :D

The thing is, my wife is in England on business and will be coming home today.

I'm making some "special preparations" for her return. ;) 

The very lovely Cindy and I traded PMs, which was nice - as we were both "celebrating" our anniversaries alone.

52973[/snapback]

Want me to send you some sheet music for the boolabong? :devil:

Let's see ... October of 1977? ... I was a freshman at UB.

-

- It was a different world for yours truly, a different universe ... I had hair (long 'fro, ala Sib Hashian, the drummer for Boston) and muscles (believe it or not, I power-lifted six times a week and could squat 400 and bench 250) ...

-

- To the DAY (Sunday, October 2nd, 1977) the Bills were losing to the Colts, 17-14. The game in Baltimore ended in a sea of controversy as the Bills had one last possession to try and get the tying field goal. As Ferguson, OJ, Chandler, et al attempted to snap the ball, the referee placed his foot on the ball to prevent a snap while the Colts purposely took their time getting back to the line. (The previous play had been a Ferguson completion, and the Colts players walked in slo-mo upfield.) Even then, the rule should have been delay - but under the old system the Bills could have assumed their line stances and remained "set" for one second, then snapped the ball to an immediate whistle and subsequent Colts offside penalty. But despite very vocal objections from Jim Ringo, Ferguson, and cener Mike Montler, the ref kept his foot atop the ball while time ran out. I cannot remember if back then the NFL had already begun the practice of mitigating horrible officiating decisions by issuing meaningless apologies after the fact. Perhaps they felt that the Bills were DESTINED to go 3-11 ... Alas, destiny ruled. By New Year's Eve, Jim Ringo was gone.

-

-- Best concert that year? Boston at the Aud. The opening band, which played in front of what seemed to be just me & my friends and the 3,000 people who weren't still outside smoking, was some goofy band nobody had ever heard of... they called themselves "Cheap Trick."

Any more tenting stories out there?

52914[/snapback]

Two come to mind....

July 4th weekend a few years ago, near Old Forge (Limekiln Lake State Park) I went camping with some friends. They went up on Wednesday, I came up on Friday after work. Since I had worked that day, I was first to go to bed. There had been a bear roaming around the area, being very brave to the point he was stealing food of picnic tables, as people were standing not even 10 feet away. As I'm nodding off, I can hear snorting from somewhere nearby. I can also hear the people across the street talking about seeing the bear at that same time. Next morning one of those people told me the bear had been right next to my tent.

Labor Day weekend, near Foxboro, MA a couple years ago we were staying in an upscale RV park. Looked strange, all these RV's and us with tents. Anyways, first night after we had all gone to bed we can here commotion outside. I was thinking it was some kids getting into our coolers since we had beer in them. I open the zipper on the tent slowly, look over to the tables where the coolers were (about 20-25 feet), and see a cat and skunk are digging into our trash bag. "stevestojan" I said, my buddy said "what's up", I said "there's a skunk in our trash". I picked up one of my sneakers and threw it at the ground near them, the cat ran off, the skunk had it's head in the bag so it didn't notice. Grabbed my other sneaker, threw it, and hit the bag. Luckily the skunk jumped out of the bag and ran off.

Errr, let me guess...

The music's got a real beat to it, but no lyrics - just humming along?

Well, Dick Clark I give it a 69. :)

53199[/snapback]

:) Great minds think alike. I was going to post something along the lines of it has a good beat and I can dance to it.

Some of you were not even born but at NOON 27 years ago today I married the love of my life and it was raining. So say a little prayer for the soul of my dear, dear late husband.  It's times like this when I'm hiding in the basement at work with tears rolling down my cheeks that I need this wall and some of the wise craking laughs.

You are my shrink and you rarely let me down.  Now if I can only get the players to win I could smile.

52005[/snapback]

27 years ago today i was 14 days old sooooo... my prayers are with you. :)

Let's see ... October of 1977? ... I was a freshman at UB.

-

- It was a different world for yours truly, a different universe ...  I had hair (long 'fro, ala Sib Hashian, the drummer for Boston) and muscles (believe it or not, I power-lifted six times a week and could squat 400 and bench 250)  ...   

-

-- Best concert that year? Boston at the Aud. The opening band, which played in front of what seemed to be just me & my friends and the 3,000 people who weren't still outside smoking, was some goofy band nobody had ever heard of... they called themselves "Cheap Trick."

53031[/snapback]

I saw Cheap Trick open for Kiss July 4 1977 at the Halifax Forum. 2nd concert I ever went to (1st was Jethro Tull at the *NEW* Niagara Falls convention center).

I saw Cheap Trick open for Kiss July 4 1977 at the Halifax Forum.  2nd concert I ever went to (1st was Jethro Tull at the *NEW* Niagara Falls convention center).

53509[/snapback]

Man did Tull ever do a lot of Buffalo? I remember one where they came out wearing rabbit suits and scuba tanks. I think the first song was Locamotive Breath. Hadn't even gotten into the good buzz yet, so I don't think I hallucinated it. Zappa concerts were pretty cool too, but ELP shows were always my favorite. Quad sound when it was cutting edge.

God I'm old. :)

You guys remember the Songs From The Wood tour? It was the first show I ever saw at the Aud. Ian Anderson was on, man. Fortunately, it wasn't all geared to pushing Songs From The Wood, which was take-it-or-leave-it as far as Tull records. They played almost everything from Aqualung, and it was an amazing show. Is it just me, or did the Aud seem to be prominent in a lot of your best memories from growing up in Western New York? Whether it's the French Connection or the Fabulous Thunderbirds, a lot of my memories start out with the words "It was at the Aud..."

You guys remember the Songs From The Wood tour? It was the first show I ever saw at the Aud. Ian Anderson was on, man. Fortunately, it wasn't all geared to pushing Songs From The Wood, which was take-it-or-leave-it as far as Tull records. They played almost everything from Aqualung, and it was an amazing show. Is it just me, or did the Aud seem to be prominent in a lot of your best memories from growing up in Western New York? Whether it's the French Connection or the Fabulous Thunderbirds, a lot of my memories start out with the words "It was at the Aud..."

53561[/snapback]

Yeah, I'll happily call you a dickwad on the "other side", but Buffalo used to get some good shows. Even the "cheaper" tickets for some venues. Were you old enough to make the James Gang/Lynard Skynard/ELP when they first built the Ralph (Rich Stadium, thank you very much). I remember this guy selling bags out from under his big cowboy hat to the infield crowd. Like everyone came un-prepared :) .

Yeah, it's also Buffalo. He probably made some bucks before he got popped.

My head is fine - the mood is still happy - a win would have helped but the players I talked to were still positive that they can turn it around and win.