Could it be the Bills are already pleased with

damj

Unless there's some good money advantage in cutting him early, they might as well hang onto him in case of camp injuries or the outside chance that he improves.

692246[/snapback]

Ok, I'll buy the camp injuries bit, but I hold out no hope for his improvment.

The thing is that both Bennie and MW were decent drive blockers. Problem is that the Bills didn't do much drive blocking. They were asked to move laterally and pass protect, not their strong points.

Since many NFL teams do not do much drive blocking anymore, I often wondered if it would work to sign the best drive-blocking type OL, who would come pretty cheaply, and install a drive blocking, smash mouth offense in Buffalo. With WM and Atrain, we have the big bruising backs to make it work. We could conceivably run the ball 70-75% of the time on O. I know this would work pretty well in Nov and Dec.

It would give the D a chance to rest up, make the play action pass dangerously effective, especially with JP's arm and the speed of our outside WRs. I thought thats what we were trying to do last year, but TC and MM decided to show everyone how creative they were (Shelton catching a pass at the 1).

If we would really commit to that style, I think it would really work in Buffalo.

The thing is that both Bennie and MW were decent drive blockers.  Problem is that the Bills didn't do much drive blocking.  They were asked to move laterally and pass protect, not their strong points. 

Since many NFL teams do not do much drive blocking anymore, I often wondered if it would work to sign the best drive-blocking type OL, who would come pretty cheaply, and install a drive blocking, smash mouth offense in Buffalo.  With WM and Atrain, we have the big bruising backs to make it work.  We could conceivably run the ball 70-75% of the time on O.  I know this would work pretty well in Nov and Dec.

It would give the D a chance to rest up, make the play action pass dangerously effective, especially with JP's arm and the speed of our outside WRs.  I thought thats what we were trying to do last year, but TC and MM decided to show everyone how creative they were (Shelton catching a pass at the 1). 

If we would really commit to that style, I think it would really work in Buffalo.

692305[/snapback]

Think about it. The Ravens system plays out exactly the way you describe it here, a power running game with Jamal Lewis and a young inexperienced QB in Boller, they obviously would run more than they would pass. Run blocking and drive blocking are Bennie Anderson's strenghts apparently, yet they cut him, what does that tell you?

How does a lineman who can only drive block get cut from a drive blocking team??? HE SUCKS! thats why. Give up on him, every fan in buffalo and baltimore has.

How does a lineman who can only drive block get cut from a drive blocking team???

Answer: he doesn't. Anderson wasn't cut; he played out his contract and left as an unrestricted free agent.

Bennie Anderson is a garden variety plodder. He can get you some running yards once in a while, but he is frequently knocked on his ass on passing plays because he lacks athleticism and balance.

All we can do is hope that Reyes is any better. He should be, whereas he is reported to be better on passing plays.

Unless there's some good money advantage in cutting him early, they might as well hang onto him in case of camp injuries or the outside chance that he improves.

692246[/snapback]

This sound \s like the best answer.

The thing is that both Bennie and MW were decent drive blockers.  Problem is that the Bills didn't do much drive blocking.  They were asked to move laterally and pass protect, not their strong points. 

Since many NFL teams do not do much drive blocking anymore, I often wondered if it would work to sign the best drive-blocking type OL, who would come pretty cheaply, and install a drive blocking, smash mouth offense in Buffalo.  With WM and Atrain, we have the big bruising backs to make it work.  We could conceivably run the ball 70-75% of the time on O.  I know this would work pretty well in Nov and Dec.

It would give the D a chance to rest up, make the play action pass dangerously effective, especially with JP's arm and the speed of our outside WRs.  I thought thats what we were trying to do last year, but TC and MM decided to show everyone how creative they were (Shelton catching a pass at the 1). 

692305[/snapback]

This is correct. It took him most of the year to get his feet under him from the left side for the movement he was required to have. But the end of the season he was doing a great job, but far be it from me to let people harp on his early season failings which I even rightly admit that he had. Add to that he had teague who was attrocious next to him.

So out of position completely different style from RG to LG and having to protect his right side with a moronic center.