NFL to fine Plummer

30dive

I HATE to say it, but the NFL is right. I totally respect what Jake Plummer is doing. When I graduated from High School, I attended the funeral of a close friend who died of cancer that morning. I had his initials taped on my cap, and I was told by the principal that I had to remove it as nobody was allowed to have anything on their gowns. I looked at him with tears in my eyes and said "That really f-ing sucks"...instead of scolding me he said, "you know Matt, I agree, but its a rule and we have to follow it. If we break it for you, we have to break it for everybody"

I understand Plummer is upset and wants to tribute his friend, but rules are rules and if they break them for him, you're going to see all the other players break the rules with tributes and other things putting themselves above the game.

Personally, I think every player in the NFL should wear a 40 for the entire season. Tillman deserves that.

I HATE to say it, but the NFL is right. I totally respect what Jake Plummer is doing. When I graduated from High School, I attended the funeral of a close friend who died of cancer that morning. I had his initials taped on my cap, and I was told by the principal that I had to remove it as nobody was allowed to have anything on their gowns. I looked at him with tears in my eyes and said "That really f-ing sucks"...instead of scolding me he said, "you know Matt, I agree, but its a rule and we have to follow it. If we break it for you, we have to break it for everybody"

I understand Plummer is upset and wants to tribute his friend, but rules are rules and if they break them for him, you're going to see all the other players break the rules with tributes and other things putting themselves above the game.

Personally, I think every player in the NFL should wear a 40 for the entire season. Tillman deserves that.

52068[/snapback]

Yeah, you'd have guys like Terrell owens giving shout outs to people on his helmet...

i still think he should be able to wear it.

75,000 x 2.5 grams = 187,500 grams

187,500 x 0.00220462262 = 413.36674125 pounds

51988[/snapback]

So 7.5 million pennies ($75,000) is 41,000+ pounds! 20 tons!

I definitely think we should try to make this happen. I wonder if you could have a big dump truck pull up and dump them somewhere for the NFL?

I can understand the NFL.

By fighting every (in the broader or narrower sense) political statement they are able to avoid lenghty (and probably heated) discussion what statements might be appropriate and what statements not.

51868[/snapback]

Well said. Jake is morally right, but defiance puts the NFL in a hole it could find widening and deepening by allowing this sort of tribute to carry on. Call me cold hearted, but the NFL has honoured Tillman and respected his memory. We won't forget, and nor will Jake, but I think Jake is wrong to defy the NFL and they are right to fine him.

Rules is rules.

52068[/snapback]

You are right about everything - except that last part. It is too political a statement for the NFL to be invloved with. He deserves it, but the NFL can not and should not be seen in any way as advocating any particular political policy (in this case they would appear to be condemning the policy to go to war).

Great post tho Bill.

BTW Major League Baseball did the same thing to Keith Foulke of the Red Sox this year. He had an American Flag decal on the side of his hat in honor of American troops, but Commissioner Selig told him he had to take it off because it violated the uniform code.

Disclaimer: OK I hope this doesn't get moved to the PP board because it is not intended to be a political statement or the right vs. wrong argument regarding the war. 

The NFL has told Denver Broncos QB to remove the #40 decal off his helmet or face up to $5,000.00 in fines (assuming per game).  Tillman and Plummer were best friends from their college days and Plummer wants to honer his friend, the league says they have a policy about personal messages on uniforms.  For christ sake, this isn't a damn advertisiment for some product Plummer endorces, it's a way for him to honor a friend who played  in the NFL, gave up those riches and went to serve his country in its war on terror, and paid the ultimate price.  I say if Plummer wants to honer his friend all season God bless him.  And if the league fines him for it, I am quite sure Plummer can pay the fine and even more sure that fellow players and most likely NFL fans will offer to cough up a few bucks to cover the cost!

Good morning and Go Bills!

51840[/snapback]

This is outrageous! :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

WTF is so wrong about honoring brave men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice?

Geezus !@#$en Crust!!!!! :devil:;):D:P:angry::angry::angry:

The NFL is probably in bed with those oil-whoring, sand crawling, camel-fellaters!!!

Guest Answer Man
Assuming 75,000 fans show up at "Mile High" for the next Broncos game each fan could drop a buck in the collection plate, then someone could buy 75,000 in pennies and deliver them to NFL

51857[/snapback]

Weight of Penny = 2.5 grams

75,000 * 2.5 = 187,500 grams

187,500 grams = 187.7 KG

187.7 kg * 2.20462 kg/lb = 413.36625 pounds

52068[/snapback]

Agree 100%.

Just imagine what someone like TO would do

if the floodgates were opened.

Give someone like him an inch,

& he'll take more than a mile.

52068[/snapback]

Rules are Rules, True! But what ever happened to common sense in America? The NFL does not have the common sense to understand that "40" is not a gang symbol, or a budweiser ad. It's a tribute to a fallen friend.