Are there any future "Wall of Fame" candidates...

I think the WoF should go to players who actually performed at a high level on the football field and not for their marketing hype and average Joe appeal.

Maybe it's time for you to consider Doug Flutie's role in Doug Flutie's fate in Buffalo for once?  Rather than posting for the millionth time how poor Dougy Wougy got boned up the arse by the only team willing to take a chance on the smurf, consider that maybe he just wasn't as complete a QB as your rose-colored Flutie-loving glasses lead you to believe.  The fact is that he simply was not a good enough QB to keep Rob Johnson buried on the depth chart and his starting job secure.  It's not like he went to San Diego and proved the Bills wrong by starting there and leading the Chargers to the playoffs -- he sat on the bench and watched Drew Brees play.

Doug Flutie gets props for being the ultimate underdog that the less inclined football fan can marvel at and feel good about.  He showed that sometimes the little guy can play with the big dogs.  Good thing for Flutie that Phelan held on to that pass.

691422[/snapback]

Since I brought up Dougy Wougy as one of the lead candidates among those WHO DO NOT DESERVE AT ALL TO BE ON THE WALL, I actually agree with much you say.

I'd actually add a requirement to your summary of great on field performance to say that one of the things which makes a great player great is that he makes and forces the other players around him to perform better. This actually is one of the areas where Dougy falls short in my book.

Even though he did help his teammates perform better on the field because he simply gave a DC fits trying to gameplan for him and by often drawing a spy made it harder to double other guys, he took getting boned up the arse by Butler so badly he divided the fan base and thus his team.

He is a guy you want on the field at crunch time because he simply finds a way (be it with Phelan, for Grey Cups, or even playing QB the vast majority of last two seasons we made the playoffs) to win. Yet, he diminished the teams performance for the long run because he could did not find a way to overcome Butler and Ralph running scared when they miscaluculated how long Jimbo would last.

I think it would be unfair to be too harsh on him got not dealing with being boned well, but we are talking about who deserves the honor of being on the Wall of Fame, He doesn't deserve that honor at all, even though I find it very hard to poo poo a player who played QB ion our last two teams to make the playoffs. Myve thw RJ,AVP,Bledsoe,JP (to date) performances are fine by you (or TC for that matter), but I think their is a marked difference in the Fluties result for the Bills since 1996.

As far as marketing and hyoe not being part of the equation, I can understand that, but if this is such a bedrock rule then change the name for one thing (I hate to say it but FAME does count for something on the Wall of FAME) and you may as well take the 12th Man off the WoF then because hype and overexcite is what we fans are about.

The continued support from the 12th Man deserves another round of recognition!

My first thought was Phil Hansen, Spikes comes to mind as a future possibility, if he is able to sufficently recover from his injury, and he plays the way he has for several more years.

I'm hoping with some good years

Takeo Spikes

Terrence McGee, assuming continued ST return dominance

and Brian Moorman

all make the Wall.

In the as-of-right-now-wishful-thinking category, I think many here would be pleased to see Losman, McGahee, and Evans become all-time great Bills. Right now that's a dream.

if the Bills make a couple of runs in the playoffs, and Brian Moorman sticks around for them, i think he has a great shot.  he has certainly been the most consistant performer for this team for the past 3 years.

691337[/snapback]

He's gotten the most playing time.

Unfortunately, your probably right. I'd like to suggest Phil Hansen, but there's probably not enough repsect outside of Buffalo, as in ProBowl berths to really be desrving of a WoF. Great warrior though.

691320[/snapback]

I think Hansen would be perfect for the Wall. I think it recognizes people for their service to the Bills, and is not necessarily based on leauge-wide recognition. I can only hope that Kelsay turns out to be half the player that Hansen was.

Steve Tasker

692187[/snapback]

And other possibilities include

Cornelius Benett a.k.a the biscuit

The guy redefined the LB position for the Bills in the 90s....If Talley is on

the wall, he definitely shoud get in.

Henry Jones

He was our starting safety for such a long time and an outstanding player as such. He had great seasons during the SB run.

Reuben Brown

Just for his longevity.

I'm hoping with some good years

Takeo Spikes

Terrence McGee, assuming continued ST return dominance

and Brian Moorman

all make the Wall.

In the as-of-right-now-wishful-thinking category, I think many here would be pleased to see Losman, McGahee, and Evans become all-time great Bills.  Right now that's a dream.

691825[/snapback]

Kind of what I was thinking as well, RTDB - check back in five years or thereabouts, and we'll have a better idea about all of the above. (Although I'm guessing Steve Tasker will be the only player to go on the Wall mainly for ST play, which would count out Moorman.)

Barring upsets, the next three WoF inductees should be Bruce, Steve, and Biscuit. I'd say Hansen (and perhaps Conlan) have a chance. Don't be overly surprised if Bill Polian ends up there someday, too. James Lofton, perhaps? Only here for four years, but they were pretty good years...

Post-Super Bowl era? Tough to argue against Ruben's Pro Bowls -- only Bruuce has more. Moulds has a decent shot; Pat Williams doesn't. And has noone mentioned Mount Washington yet? I'd certainly put him up there over Williams.

Others: Flutie? Bledsoe 'deserves' the honor just as much - both just barely meet the three-year-minimum service requirement, DB won more games as a starter here, and his stats were far superior. (Needless to say, I don't expect either one to make it up there any time soon. ;) )

Much as I loved Chris Spielman, he only played two seasons here. Bryce Paup might have a chance, but again, he was only here for three years. Fast fact: of the current players on the Wall (excluding Bob Kalsu, obviously a special case), Bob James had the shortest career here - six years.

This time last year, I ran a poll asking for opinions about who the next inductee should be. (And yes, several people correctly predicted Andre would be this year's choice.) Some good discussion there:

May 2005 Wall of Fame poll

Steve Tasker

692187[/snapback]

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

I forgot he was still playing then.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes

Definitely

I tried to think of a Buffalo Bill that has been on the roster since 1996 that was talented enough to make "The Wall of Fame" and was only able to come up with.....Drum roll please.........Ruben Brown.

Due to his many Pro Bowl appearances and overall good play. Ruben should make it. Other than him, maybe Brian Moorman will make it some day.

Moorman will go on and become the all time greatest Bills punter when it's all said and done.

Another possibility is Eric Moulds of course, but he's a long shot.

It's kind've sad when you think about it. Since the Super Bowl Era of the early 90's no one has ever been a truly great player for the Bills. Maybe that is the reason why the Bills have had such a post season drought.

691316[/snapback]

Ruben Brown comes to mind.