Game 5: Buffalo at Ottawa, Sat. 7 PM EST

I haven't been able to find out yet...precisely when were those 100 seconds everyone's talking about?

Edit: never mind, I found it.  Second period of game 2 - the only game I missed, which explains why I don't remember it.  :doh:

690955[/snapback]

2nd period of Game 2, in which all the scoring for the game took place in a 4:07 span...

:ph34r:

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next question is the obvious: is it preferable to play Carolina or New Jersey?  I'm not looking forward to either, frankly...

690960[/snapback]

Doesn't matter, really. We match up just fine with both of them and there's reasons to want or not want to play either. One of those things about hockey - you're not backing into a Stanley Cup.

Next question is the obvious: is it preferable to play Carolina or New Jersey?  I'm not looking forward to either, frankly...

690960[/snapback]

At this point, I'm just loving that we've gotten this far...I'll take either team with a smile on my face knowing the Sabres have gone far beyond anyone's expectations and are looking for A LOT more.

Odds are it will be Carolina, which should make for another fast-paced and exciting Conference Final.

At this point, I'm just loving that we've gotten this far...I'll take either team with a smile on my face knowing the Sabres have gone far beyond anyone's expectations and are looking for A LOT more.

Odds are it will be Carolina, which should make for another fast-paced and exciting Conference Final.

690964[/snapback]

Carolina in 7 would be fine with me. I can't imagine wanting to play a Jersey team with a crapload of momentum overcoming a 3-0 deficit but it's not going to happen.

690960[/snapback]

Clearly Carolina. Brodeur can shut you down. CW doesn't pose that obstacle. Carolina is a better skating club, but we'd do well to avoid Brodeur. He could carry a series with his play.

I'm so proud of this Sabres team. Go BUFFALO!!

No kidding.  Any of those games could have gone either way.  If they had a healthy Dom...they would have certainly blown us out in game one and that would have set a completely different tone for the series.

690922[/snapback]

I wouldn't lay it all on Emery. Ottawa had some awesome defensive lapses. "Oh look, there's Chris Drury wow he sure can skate. We should all back up to give him some room."

690960[/snapback]

Considering that Carolina is missing Cole and the only way that NJ plays Buffalo is by doing something that hasn't happened since '75; I want Carolina.

Just remembered that I caught the postgame for Carolina-NJ on NBC this afternoon and both Ray Ferraro and Ed Olczyk agreed that Ottawa was going to find a way to bring the series back to Buffalo.

And I actually muttered under my breath "We're gonna !@#$ the Sens up tonight."

Was there even one national hockey writer who picked us?

690936[/snapback]

You know, the only hockey "media" person I read/saw/heard give Buffalo any sort of credit, and believe they were not overmatched by Ottawa, was Brian Engblom, a former Sabre, now OLN studio analyst. All along, he has been the only guy who has giving Buffalo credit for playing good hockey, rather than making excuses for Ottawa. Props to the blond mullett!

Funny, I was talking to a buddy of mine at work, who happens to be Canadian (a Leafs fan and a Sabres fan, in the middle of Texas). He is pulling hard for Edmonton the rest of the way, and would love to see Ottawa as their oppenent. He could deal with Buffalo or New Jersey, but loathes the idea of Anaheim, San Jose or Carolina getting to the finals. He explained to me that Canada is kind of a genteel country. Hockey is where they channel all of their agressiveness. Along with that, comes a great sense of nationalism...for Canada, hockey is like the World Cup is to the rest of the world. It is not just the individuals favorite team, verses another, but Canada vs America in a way. The US dominates everything, they really want to keep hockey.

We were talking about this, because I had mentioned to him that it sure seemed like all of the OLN guys, except Engblom, were openly rooting for Ottawa. (Joe Binati (sp?) openly admitted during game 4 that he "would be lying if he didn't admitt that he wasn't pulling for Ottawa to win the series") My Canadian friend agreed, and didn't see anything wrong with it..."Of course, they are all Canadian!" That is what I love about the NHL. It may be relegated as a "cult sport" in a lot of the US, but people who love it really love it.

ps- Silver N' Red, there are a lot of NHL fans in Austin. Try going to Ringers (4th & Colorado) for a playoff game. There is usually a small, but very vocal crowd there for the games. I have OLN and Center Ice, but have gone out to watch a few games this year. Nice to watch with people who care.

Doesn't matter, really.  We match up just fine with both of them and there's reasons to want or not want to play either.  One of those things about hockey - you're not backing into a Stanley Cup.

690962[/snapback]

Agreed...it is such a long season. If I recall, the Sabres didn't do particularly well against either team during the regular season. They didn't do particularly well against Ottawa either! Just like the games themselves, the season is full of ups and downs. Just because Carolina was better than Buffalo in March (few teams were not), it doesn't mean they are superior in May.

Agreed...it is such a long season.  If I recall, the Sabres didn't do particularly well against either team during the regular season.  They didn't do particularly well against Ottawa either!  Just like the games themselves, the season is full of ups and downs.  Just because Carolina was better than Buffalo in March (few teams were not), it doesn't mean they are superior in May.

691001[/snapback]

I was just looking back at the schedule. I guess they crushed us once in Buffalo back in October. Otherwise the Canes won 2 out of 3, 1 of which was a shootout. Sabres romped them in Raleigh last game of the reg. season when they were playing for the 1 seed. But yeah, that all means squat. I think the Mets beat the Dodgers like 100 times in '88 before losing in a playoff series.

I wouldn't lay it all on Emery. Ottawa had some awesome defensive lapses. "Oh look, there's Chris Drury wow he sure can skate. We should all back up to give him some room."

690979[/snapback]

I'm not laying it all on Emery (I count at least a couple you could lay directly on Volchenkov alone...), but do you think a healthy Dom would bite on the moves we pulled on many of those breakaways? Emery was pretty solid at stopping the straight on shot, but he comitted too early and was very suspect to fakes....with how close the series was, I just think the difference between Emery and Dom would have been enough to tilt things the other way...

We were talking about this, because I had mentioned to him that it sure seemed like all of the OLN guys, except Engblom, were openly rooting for Ottawa. (Joe Binati (sp?) openly admitted during game 4 that he "would be lying if he didn't admitt that he wasn't pulling for Ottawa to win the series") My Canadian friend agreed, and didn't see anything wrong with it..."Of course, they are all Canadian!"  That is what I love about the NHL.  It may be relegated as a "cult sport" in a lot of the US, but people who love it really love it. 

690999[/snapback]

The OLN team is reporting that the Ottawa Senators are so good that their public gushing cannot be stopped. And even though the Senators are eliminated, they will continue to praise the Senators talent during all upcoming Buffalo Penalty Kills.

Considering that Carolina is missing Cole and the only way that NJ plays Buffalo is by doing something that hasn't happened since '75; I want Carolina.

Brind'Amour also took a puck to the chest. That could affect him.

Here's hoping Connolly comes back. Think Kalinin tries to come back for the SCF, if the Sabres make it?

You know, the only hockey "media" person I read/saw/heard give Buffalo any sort of credit, and believe they were not overmatched by Ottawa, was Brian Engblom, a former Sabre, now OLN studio analyst.  All along, he has been the only guy who has giving Buffalo credit for playing good hockey, rather than making excuses for Ottawa.  Props to the blond mullett!

I caught that as well. Didn't realize he was a former Sabre, which explains it.