Buffalo News on Gandy

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060508/1067899.asp

I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up for discussion. I'm not an offensive line expert, but watching Gandy, I've always thought he's the kind of player that would play well on a good line and would be a liability on a poor line. Ranking him on our line, I might put him on top. He seems to have the fewest question marks.

He is a reliable good lineman. Not All-Pro or great, but good and reliable. I'll take him--he's solid, or at least played solid last year. He and Peters actually give us better tackles than people think.

I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up for discussion.  I'm not an offensive line expert, but watching Gandy, I've always thought he's the kind of player that would play well on a good line and would be a liability on a poor line.  Ranking him on our line, I might put him on top.  He seems to have the fewest question marks.

687292[/snapback]

The reason why it hasn't been brought up for discussion is that it blows a hole in everyone's "we need a stud LT" mantra they've been shouting this offseason.

Too many armchair QBs out there fail to realize that the real weakness of the Bills' OL last season was at LG-C-RG. Gandy was very consistent, if unspectacular, at LT, and Peters locked down the RT spot and continued to improve throughout the year.

Buffalo has attempted to address the middle of the line by letting Teague go, and signing Fowler, Reyes, and a handful of other prospects to compete for the G spots.

You know you have a decent LT when you don't hear his name repeatedly during a game -- as in, "holding on Gandy," "illegal motion on Gandy," or "did you see the way [lineman] blew past Gandy."

Gandy's not a stud who is going to flatten people and earn all the high accolades, but he's dependable. If he turns out to be the weakest player on the Bills' line this season, we'll have one hell of a line.

That was a good article. It makes a strong case that Gandy isn't a bad player, which is more than likely true. That said, if he was an upper tier LT, the Bears never ever would have cut him because NFL football teams simply don't do this. Remember, he was flat out released by the Bears, not signed as a UFA.

As we all remember, Jonas Jennings got more than 40 million. Backus was franchised by the Lions, and he is about to sign for about the same, or so one would think. Parcells paid a lot of money to Fabini based on the premise that he could perhaps have enough left to play LT if needed. This is the way it works.

Gandy has played in Buffalo at a disadvantage. The LG position continues to be manned by inferiority. Looking at where the rest of our OL was drafted, it is as clear as day that the Bills have not made the OL a priority. When they did so (MW), TD crapped out big time. Good teams consistently select early blockers. The Bills, no matter who is calling the shots, simply won't, nor will they go after top UFAs, or even re-sign their own.

In summary, Tunei was good in Dallas. He wasn't Orlando Pace, but he was good. He was also playing with guys who were great, so there was no problem.

Gandy is probably good as well, but he has't played with guys who didn't suck. Will he ever? History tells us no, but we can certainly hope for the best.

The reason why it hasn't been brought up for discussion is that it blows a hole in everyone's "we need a stud LT" mantra they've been shouting this offseason.

Too many armchair QBs out there fail to realize that the real weakness of the Bills' OL last season was at LG-C-RG.  Gandy was very consistent, if unspectacular, at LT, and Peters locked down the RT spot and continued to improve throughout the year.

Buffalo has attempted to address the middle of the line by letting Teague go, and signing Fowler, Reyes, and a handful of other prospects to compete for the G spots.

You know you have a decent LT when you don't hear his name repeatedly during a game -- as in, "holding on Gandy," "illegal motion on Gandy," or "did you see the way [lineman] blew past Gandy."

Gandy's not a stud who is going to flatten people and earn all the high accolades, but he's dependable.  If he turns out to be the weakest player on the Bills' line this season, we'll have one hell of a line.

687322[/snapback]

It might be added that there was an ongoing story last year that Chris Varieal was injured and playing hurt....we simply didn't have any one else for that position as Duke Preston wasn't ready.......

If Villy is healthy....I look for him to return to the form of the previous year.....

I have been saying this for some time....

Gandy played very well against the top DE's in the league last year.....he didn't look bad much...but you really have to take a look at where the pressure is coming from from that side....LG

If your LG isn't moving his feet your LT came look really bad on certain plays.....

I like Gandy

That was a good article. It makes a strong case that Gandy isn't a bad player, which is more than likely true. That said, if he was an upper tier LT, the Bears never ever would have cut him because NFL football teams simply don't do this. Remember, he was flat out released by the Bears, not signed as a UFA.

As we all remember, Jonas Jennings got more than 40 million. Backus was franchised by the Lions, and he is about to sign for about the same, or so one would think. Parcells paid a lot of money to Fabini based on the premise that he could perhaps have enough left to play LT if needed. This is the way it works.

Gandy has played in Buffalo at a disadvantage. The LG position continues to be manned by inferiority. Looking at where the rest of our OL was drafted, it is as clear as day that the Bills have not made the OL a priority. When they did so (MW), TD crapped out big time. Good teams consistently select early blockers. The Bills, no matter who is calling the shots, simply won't, nor will they go after top UFAs, or even re-sign their own.

In summary, Tunei was good in Dallas. He wasn't Orlando Pace, but he was good. He was also playing with guys who were great, so there was no problem.

Gandy is probably good as well, but he has't played with guys who didn't suck. Will he ever? History tells us no, but we can certainly hope for the best.

687344[/snapback]

Can't argue with anything you've said Bill. To me, the heart of the matter is the weakness of the center of the line. But I think eball has a good point about the mantra, even though I've beat the drum myself for years about the "talent" on the OLine. Of course, I like eball's avatar even better than his post! ;)

I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up for discussion.  I'm not an offensive line expert, but watching Gandy, I've always thought he's the kind of player that would play well on a good line and would be a liability on a poor line.  Ranking him on our line, I might put him on top.  He seems to have the fewest question marks.

687292[/snapback]

i would like him more if he wasnt called for holding as much. ;)

687344[/snapback]

good post. let's hope that fowler and reyes are competent, and that villarreal is healthy.