Be prepared for Losman...

to absolutely struggle this year. Not because he is not capable, but because we are rebuilding. I think Losman is going to be the victim of a rebuilding team and will have to be protected from the rabid fans that will be calling for his head after this season.

The offensive line is the biggest question mark on the team seeing as we have no idea what we acquired this year in Gibson, Reyes, and the draft picks. Losman is going to have a hard time this year, so i think it is just about that time to publicly state it so that it doesn't come as a shock later on in the year.

Even if we are rebuilding and we go 6-10 next year, people will still be pissed off and Losman will be gone because some people are too impatient. I cannot think of one quarterback who completely developed in Buffalo because we are worse than Red Sox Nation when it comes to waiting for a championship.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how are we any more rebuilding than we were last year? I guess this year we're actually calling it rebuilding. The D can't be worse, and the Oline should be improved. He shouldn't do any worse than last year.

You are right, we need to stick with him. I think Donahoe and Mularkey assumed that the defense would still be top notch last year and still viewed themselves as not grooming a qb, but trying to win as many games as possible regardless of long term interest.

how are we any more rebuilding than we were last year?  I guess this year we're actually calling it rebuilding.  The D can't be worse, and the Oline should be improved.  He shouldn't do any worse than last year.

You are right, we need to stick with him.  I think Donahoe and Mularkey assumed that the defense would still be top notch last year and still viewed themselves as not grooming a qb, but trying to win as many games as possible regardless of long term interest.

686633[/snapback]

I don't think that anybody in Buffalo likes to think of us grooming a quarterback. Jim Kelly developed in the UFL and he is the person everybody is looking for. The thing is that i think that we won't win anything until we learn to become patient and actually admit that we are grooming a quarterback, instead of just thinking in the Donahoe mentality that we can plug somebody in and they will be a Pro Bowler.

Last year we all thought that we had a chance to make the playoffs, especially after the Houston game. We weren't rebuilding last year, Donahoe was hoping that would be our year. Instead we only came to the realization that we are rebuilding in a season when we were supposed to win a substantial amount of games and make the playoffs.

to absolutely struggle this year. Not because he is not capable, but because we are rebuilding. I think Losman is going to be the victim of a rebuilding team and will have to be protected from the rabid fans that will be calling for his head after this season.

The offensive line is the biggest question mark on the team seeing as we have no idea what we acquired this year in Gibson, Reyes, and the draft picks. Losman is going to have a hard time this year, so i think it is just about that time to publicly state it so that it doesn't come as a shock later on in the year.

Even if we are rebuilding and we go 6-10 next year, people will still be pissed off and Losman will be gone because some people are too impatient. I cannot think of one quarterback who completely developed in Buffalo because we are worse than Red Sox Nation when it comes to waiting for a championship.

686629[/snapback]

Wow, glad we have something to look foward to.

686629[/snapback]

Who cares about the people who are impatient.....most of em cant sit through a 3 hour game....win or lose......just have to watch real world and those 2 dumb blondes on MTV

I think nd's assessment is right, but I think he'll swim. He has competition this year, and not being handed the starting job is going to make him play harder and play better. He has looked better and more decisive in camp which is something he was not last year. We'll see how it plays out, but I don't think JP will struggle nearly as badly as he did last year. I say 7-9 or 8-8 at worst.

I think nd's assessment is right, but I think he'll swim.  He has competition this year, and not being handed the starting job is going to make him play harder and play better.  He has looked better and more decisive in camp which is something he was not last year.  We'll see how it plays out, but I don't think JP will struggle nearly as badly as he did last year.  I say 7-9 or 8-8 at worst.

686871[/snapback]

A smarter coaching staff won't hurt either. I think JP might need a life vest every now and then, but I agree that he will come around this year. A healthier, better schemed defense will also be on his side.

Losman should get nothing. If he's the best QB on the roster he should start. If he's better than Nall and the team is out of the playoff hunt he should start. Otherwise, sit his ass down. The regular season isn't training camp for flame outs.

Losman should get nothing. If he's the best QB on the roster he should start. If he's better than Nall and the team is out of the playoff hunt he should start. Otherwise, sit his ass down. The regular season isn't training camp for flame outs.

686892[/snapback]

The impatience i was discussing above. A perfect example. Thanks Johnny.

A better game plan, including REALLY establishing our running game, will make Losman (or whoever) better. Half our problem in 2005 was play calling. Were they flipping a coin, or using Magic 8 Ball?

PTR

A better game plan, including REALLY establishing our running game, will make Losman (or whoever) better.  Half our problem in 2005 was play calling.  Were they flipping a coin, or using Magic 8 Ball?

PTR

686975[/snapback]

Promo, i think it was more along the lines of MM and TD playing spin the bottle with Vito Spatafore and the queer eye guys, and they left all the play calling up to Tom Clements and Jerry Gray, and even they wanted to hurry up and lose so they could join in the game as well.

Just a reminder for everyone (yes including me) that we DO have a 1st rd QB on the roster, Losman sucked last year, if he sucks this year he's out but dont expect him to tank just because he was bad last year. I personally don't think he's got "it" but I hope im wrong.

Just a reminder for everyone (yes including me) that we DO have a 1st rd QB on the roster, Losman sucked last year, if he sucks this year he's out but dont expect him to tank just because he was bad last year. I personally don't think he's got "it" but I hope im wrong.

686978[/snapback]

I hope you are wrong as well.

The impatience i was discussing above. A perfect example. Thanks Johnny.

686898[/snapback]

Impatience? It's about not giving up on a season for a late first rounder who got worse the more he played.

Impatience? The Bills haven't made the playoffs in six years.

For JP to start, he simply needs to actually be the best QB, not the QB with the greatest potential. The unemployment lines are full of late first round pick QBs who had lots of potential but never worked out.

This thread's excuse for Losman is that the playcalling was poor. Losman's defenders point to the fact the Bills ran the ball more often, and more successfully, with Holcomb under center. Give JP a running game, we're told, and imagine how much better he would be.

On the surface, this sounds reasonable. Until you count the men in the box. With Losman under center, defensive coordinators had no respect whatsoever for the passing game, so they ganged up to stop the run. There's not much point in running McGahee into an eight or nine man wall for a 1 yard gain. When the other team dares you to beat them with the pass, you have to be able to do it. Usually, Losman couldn't.

The coaches appear to have altered their gameplans to play to their various QBs' strengths. Holcomb's strengths include quick decision-making and getting rid of the ball quickly. On the other hand, Losman's strengths are limited to his mobility and his ability to throw the deep ball. The coaches' failure to take better advantage of Losman's mobility is probably due to trying to turn him into something he isn't--a pocket passer. However, they did seem to take as much advantage of his deep ball ability as the offensive line would allow.

Under Holcomb, the passing game's success helped open up the running game. This never happened under Losman. Losman's defenders urge us to be patient. Had Losman demonstrated an outstanding ability to read defenses and make good decisions back in college, this patient attitude would be justified. As it is, I don't feel Losman will ever develop into anything more than what he is right now: a poor man's Michael Vick.

686629[/snapback]

Still, you have to set some definition of success. What would that be to you?