I am not sure if anyone has done this yet...

last night (I have several of them in my TIVO)

The 3 things I looked at.....

- Where was the pressure coming from on the line while JP Losman was playing

- How well specifically did Jason Peters do

- And a main focus on Tuten Reyes at RG since he obviously will be one of our starters

Jason Peters.....I really like Jason Peters quickness and lateral movement out of his stance.....that is not to say that he played a perfect game especially in his run blocking......

- I hope that he continues his development as I thought that he gave a little too much ground....he only got beat once cleanly that I can see but his assignment just pushed the pocket a little too much and they were fighting a little to close to JPL.....because the interior of our OL was so BAD Losman couldnt step up into the pocket to gain a couple of extra seconds.....the pocket was just so ragged and not cleanly formed....ALMOST EVERY TIME the line gave Losman time to throw you could really see the good traits of Losman.....accurate and a rocket arm.

- There were some lookout blocks from our OL...particularly the interior that frankly were kind of embarrising to watch. JPL had absolutely NO confidence in the interior of the line. The one play where Bennie Anderson got steamrolled and ran over was just HORRIBLE.....how can someone that huge get rolled up like that is a mystery to me.....

Now for Tuten Reyes....Tuten Reyes fundamentals quite frankly made our OL look like a bunch of amatures for the most part.....while our OL were giving ground I keyed on him and almost every play his assignment WAS KEPT AT THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE.....in run blocking he didn't try to push his man downfield but rather turn him to the side.....when he pulled he got a good piece of his assignment.

His fundamentals are excellent....after watching this film I came away that we have definately upgraded our position.....this guy is good. Heck...the whole Panthers line was good they really knew how to create a clean pocket.

thanks for the analysis. do you recall offhand who was playing on the other side of the ball for each team? was reyes handling anderson or adams (or other)? who were the carolina linemen that were dominating our interior line?

Now for Tuten Reyes....Tuten Reyes fundamentals quite frankly made our OL look like a bunch of amatures for the most part.....while our OL were giving ground I keyed on him and almost every play his assignment WAS KEPT AT THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE.....in run blocking he didn't try to push his man downfield but rather turn him to the side.....when he pulled he got a good piece of his assignment.

His fundamentals are excellent....after watching this film I came away that we have definately upgraded our position.....this guy is good.  Heck...the whole Panthers line was good they really knew how to create a clean pocket.

686323[/snapback]

I remember this game very clearly - and I went away from it raving to my guys on my team eher to take a look aat the Panthers OL for their lateral movement and the superb blocking in space from their pulling linemen.

thanks for the analysis.  do you recall offhand who was playing on the other side of the ball for each team?  was reyes handling anderson or adams (or other)?  who were the carolina linemen that were dominating our interior line?

686327[/snapback]

This was the famous...."The bills dont want me Sam Adams" game where he took his ball and went home....

I think it was Anderson most of the game.....

The thing that really stuck out to me......Reyes assigment NEVER EVEN GOT CLOSE to the the QB.....he played with great leverage.

I am telling you all right now....I dont know why Reyes didn't go much sooner in free agency for more....but this guy is no stiff.

I am telling you all right now....I dont know why Reyes didn't go much sooner in free agency for more....but this guy is no stiff.

686348[/snapback]

And it sounds like the only reason Carolina let him walk was because they had a young guy who was ready to step up. If Fowler can improve upon what Teague did (and didn't do), and Villy can stay healthy, maybe we can actually get some offensive life breathed back into this team.

Nice work John, but b4 being too confident in your observations, I bring up something that Mr House alluded to. Maybe it's just that Carolina DL is so much better than ours rather than Reyes being much of an upgrade to our OL.

His fundamentals are excellent....after watching this film I came away that we have definately upgraded our position.....this guy is good.  Heck...the whole Panthers line was good they really knew how to create a clean pocket.

686323[/snapback]

did you notice if Reyes was getting help? Or was he pretty much doing his job man to man?

This was the one game last year I was able to attend, I go to one each year with my son. The memory I have of this game is how well JP handled the no huddle. Yes, he made some mistakes, but I thought he showed great promise in this game.

And it sounds like the only reason Carolina let him walk was because they had a young guy who was ready to step up. If Fowler can improve upon what Teague did (and didn't do), and Villy can stay healthy, maybe we can actually get some offensive life breathed back into this team.

686354[/snapback]

Remaining upright and facing forward would be an improvement.

I went to this game a couple of weeks back and by that time I thought:

1) what a great player Whale (former GB) is and how TD and Co. missed on him in FA

2) best game of the year for JP, IMO, very comfortable in the hurry up offense. It's nice to know he has wheels, but the best throws he made were within the pocket (when there was one)

3) Jason Peters got beat once (badly) by Peppers in the red zone but after that he adjusted and played well on pass protection.

4) With no Adams on defense, you could tell that we lacked talent up front but with discipline and people playing their roles the defense looked good. Later, someone posted we played a Cover 2 defense on that game and I felt better about this year.

Nice work John, but b4 being too confident in your observations, I bring up something that Mr House alluded to.  Maybe it's just that Carolina DL is so much better than ours rather than Reyes being much of an upgrade to our OL.

686356[/snapback]

Its a fair question...the problem is that our offensive line was doing this almost every game last season.....

The other thing I liked about Reyes is that he seems to be a smart player too who knows his limitations....I didn't see Reyes trying to bulldoze his man 10 yards downfield but rather TURN the defender creating the lane for the RB to run off of....I see the Denver OL do this routinely....

I loved his pass proetection

This was the one game last year I was able to attend, I go to one each year with my son.  The memory I have of this game is how well JP handled the no huddle.  Yes, he made some mistakes, but I thought he showed great promise in this game.

686400[/snapback]

What mistakes did you see?

686354[/snapback]

I agree. I think that with those few additions, improvement of our young guys, and a new coaching staff should lead to a better offensive team.

I went to this game a couple of weeks back and by that time I thought:

1) what a great player Whale (former GB) is and how TD and Co. missed on him in FA

2) best game of the year for JP, IMO, very comfortable in the hurry up offense. It's nice to know he has wheels, but the best throws he made were within the pocket (when there was one)

3) Jason Peters got beat once (badly) by Peppers in the red zone but after that he adjusted and played well on pass protection.

4) With no Adams on defense, you could tell that we lacked talent up front but with discipline and people playing their roles the defense looked good.  Later, someone posted we played a Cover 2 defense on that game and I felt better about this year.

686405[/snapback]

The thing that really stuck out to me was the difference in the bills idea of a pocket and the panthers idea of a pocket.....

Bills pocket - players within a arms reach of JPL before OL could anchor....no chance of JPL trying to step up behind center for an extra second of time because he would get sacked.....

Panthers pocket - Nobody within 5 feet of their QB....LITERALLY

What mistakes did you see?

686414[/snapback]

Pretty sure he overthrew Moulds down around the 20 near the end of the game.

But the biggest take away for me on this particular game was that the coaches finally found something that worked (J.P. running the no huddle), yet they ditched it after the one good drive and never came back to it. I think that huge mistake is a very good reason we have a new coaching staff this year.

Our line really sucked during TD's time here. He was blind to this fact. I'm sure Willis was also pissed about their lack of play. None of the QB's could succeed behind it. That is why we couldn't score points.

Pretty sure he overthrew Moulds down around the 20 near the end of the game.

But the biggest take away for me on this particular game was that the coaches finally found something that worked (J.P. running the no huddle), yet they ditched it after the one good drive and never came back to it. I think that huge mistake is a very good reason we have a new coaching staff this year.

686422[/snapback]

Actually...I was talking about Tuten Reyes... 0:)

JPL made a few mistakes in that game for sure.....

I dont know why Reyes didn't go much sooner in free agency for more.

686348[/snapback]

I also wonder why the Panthers didn't want to keep him for depth if his price was so cheap.

Both of these statements give the impression that he is another bargain-bin acquisition... and I know it's not really fair to him, but it is what it is. I hope he comes in here and is able to produce at a level similar to what you saw in this game, and against tougher competition than Tim Anderson as well.

I also wonder why the Panthers didn't want to keep him for depth if his price was so cheap.

Both of these statements give the impression that he is another bargain-bin acquisition... and I know it's not really fair to him, but it is what it is. I hope he comes in here and is able to produce at a level similar to what you saw in this game, and against tougher competition than Tim Anderson as well.

686503[/snapback]

While I sadly suspect that you are right, I am more hopeful about Fowler, and I admittedly have seen little of him.

I base my guarded optimism on the fact that the Vikes gave SOO much money to Hutch, it would have been tough to offer Fowler a big contract. Think about it....they are paying McKinnie #7 money, and Hutch makes even more.

Also, even if Reyes isn't very good, it is hard for me to believe that he wouldn't be clearly superior to Anderson at LG. If CV goes down once again to injury, Anderson might actually be a better fit at RG, wouldn't you say?

While I sadly suspect that you are right, I am more hopeful about Fowler, and I admittedly have seen little of him.

I base my guarded optimism on the fact that the Vikes gave SOO much money to Hutch, it would have been tough to offer Fowler a big contract. Think about it....they are paying McKinnie #7 money, and Hutch makes even more.

Also, even if Reyes isn't very good, it is hard for me to believe that he wouldn't be clearly superior to Anderson at LG. If CV goes down once again to injury, Anderson might actually be a better fit at RG, wouldn't you say?

686524[/snapback]

Here in Baltimore, I've seen Bennie play many games at RG for the Ravens. While I admit he did look better there than he did at LG last year (his worst IMO), most of the mental mistakes were still present.... plenty of drive-killing penalties and blown assignments.

I think it's best that he just leaves.

No one should forget though: The most important aspect of any OL is chemistry.

I don't think there's any other unit on a football team that has to play well

together in order to succeeed. I believe this is why teams with OL's that have played together for a while generally have better O-Lines. That's getting harder to do with free agency, but I think the rule still applies. If the coaching staff can settle on a starting five an actually stick with them, we should see some dividends by mid to late season. For example: Bennie Anderson may have been a better player in Baltimore because he fit their scheme better and worked better with his teammates on the line. When he came to Buffalo he had to start over.

Some players make this transition better than others.

At least this year there shouldn't be any desperation shuffling by the head coach to try and save his job.

686524[/snapback]

I am with you.