What do you think are chances 4 starting QB?

What % to you give each QB and why  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What % to you give each QB and why

• JP Losman - 40% Kelly Holcomb - 40% Craig Nall- 20% Craig Ochs- 0% Tory Woodbury- 0%
    • Other #s Ithink placed below

So we're comparing ratings (a west coast offense statistic to begin with) of a guy in cleanup duty and a guy with 8 starts ever ? Meaningful stuff  :angry:

Nall came into the Chicago game in the second quarter. Not exactly cleanup duty. I'll grant you the comparison would be a lot more meaningful if we had 30 games for each player. But the fact Nall did so well with his limited playing time is at least worth something.

Clearly? Based on? Yes Holcomb can be ruled out of the upside dept but....

A QB's upside is based first on his decision-making and ability to read the field; things Nall may well have. Losman doesn't excel at these things, and probably never will.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're hanging your hat on a high QB rating of a player who's had a total of 33 passing attempts in the NFL?

That's too funny.

687252[/snapback]

Yeah, but do you remember Rob Johnson's preseason games with the jags? :angry:

A QB's upside is based first on his decision-making and ability to read the field; things Nall may well have.  Losman doesn't excel at these things, and probably never will.

687240[/snapback]

I don't see any evidence of this other than what is the norm as far as the struggles of Qb's with little game experience. Your last sentence there is a snapshot that you are trying to make into a complete story.

Apparently you missed the point of my posts.

687275[/snapback]

That Nall "clearly" has the most upside? That Holcomb is our very solid plan B?

You sound as if you're wishing and hoping there wasn't going to be this "silly" QB competition. Could it be that you don't trust your boys Nall and Holcomb to buck up and beat out Losman? This isn't telethon hosting we're talking about, this is football.

That Nall "clearly" has the most upside? That Holcomb is our very solid plan B?

That's right. With Losman, you pretty much know what you're getting: Kordell Stewart II.

Nall is more of an unknown. There's a chance he's a one-game wonder, just as there's a chance he can actually play. The only way to find out for sure is to put him on the field and see what he does.

You sound as if you're wishing and hoping there wasn't going to be this "silly" QB competition. Could it be that you don't trust your boys Nall and Holcomb to buck up and beat out Losman? This isn't telethon hosting we're talking about, this is football.

687296[/snapback]

I'm glad about the QB competition, and I hope it's a fair one. Assuming no attention is paid to draft status, either Holcomb or Nall should be able to beat out Losman. If neither can, the search for Kelly's successor will continue.

That's right.  With Losman, you pretty much know what you're getting: Kordell Stewart II. 

687314[/snapback]

It's comments like this that will continue to warrant the vast majority of posters here questioning and challenging your takes. Of course, you knew that already though... ;)

It's comments like this that will continue to warrant the vast majority of posters here questioning and challenging your takes. Of course, you knew that already though...  :)

687323[/snapback]

If it will make you happy, I can call Losman "a poor man's Michael Vick" instead. ;)

Losman simply has to play, and here is why. You already know what you have in these three guys but you have to put them on the track. Holcomb is a 1995 Ford Taurus with 110,000 miles on him, bad tires and the check engine light on at all times, but you know pretty much for sure you're going to get to and from the store with him. Nall is a 2002 Saab Station Wagon with some nice features who has been kept in the garage for most of his time and worked on but hasn't hit the road. Losman is a 2005 Mercedes sports car with all the bells and whistles but a leak in the steering fluid and has a tendency to break down. He's in need of a good mechanic and you're not sure if he's a peach or a lemon but you know he is the one you're taking to the track and running in the race.

Losman simply has to play, and here is why. You already know what you have in these three guys but you have to put them on the track. Holcomb is a 1995 Ford Taurus with 110,000 miles on him, bad tires and the check engine light on at all times, but you know pretty much for sure you're going to get from to and from the store with him. Nall is a 2002 Saab Station Wagon with some nice features who has been kept in the garage for most of his time and worked on but hasn't hit the road. Losman is a 2005 Mercedes sports car with all the bells and whistles but a leak in the steering fluid and has a tendency to break down. He's in need of a good mechanic and you're not sure if he's a peach or a lemon but you know he is the one you're taking to the track and running in the race.

687360[/snapback]

A+ for originality. Bravo!

Losman simply has to play, and here is why. You already know what you have in these three guys but you have to put them on the track. Holcomb is a 1995 Ford Taurus with 110,000 miles on him, bad tires and the check engine light on at all times, but you know pretty much for sure you're going to get from to and from the store with him. Nall is a 2002 Saab Station Wagon with some nice features who has been kept in the garage for most of his time and worked on but hasn't hit the road. Losman is a 2005 Mercedes sports car with all the bells and whistles but a leak in the steering fluid and has a tendency to break down. He's in need of a good mechanic and you're not sure if he's a peach or a lemon but you know he is the one you're taking to the track and running in the race.

687360[/snapback]

Levy was on Sirius last night saying that he wants to "win now." He used this term as an explanation for his draft; specifically for not drafting Leinart.

I am of the opinion that at his age (let alone Ralph), he will be unwilling to nurse Losman along and only start him if he thinks that he will win the most games.

687360[/snapback]

On what are you basing the difference between Nall and Losman? Playing time? Draft status?

Levy was on Sirius last night saying that he wants to "win now." He used this term as an explanation for his draft; specifically for not drafting Leinart.

I am of the opinion that at his age (let alone Ralph), he will be unwilling to nurse Losman along and only start him if he thinks that he will win the most games.

687389[/snapback]

That's actually how he should make his decisions and I hope it's true. In today's NFL, that's probably much how things go. You can get away with writing off one season (as we did last year) but two in a row is no longer the norm.

That's actually how he should make his decisions and I hope it's true. In today's NFL, that's probably much how things go. You can get away with writing off one season (as we did last year) but two in a row is no longer the norm.

687401[/snapback]

It does serve to make me wonder why TD simply handed the job to Losman. I suppose it was because HE brought him to Buffalo at such a high cost.

This also does not seem to fare well for JP. He needs to go on the football field and produce this time.

687360[/snapback]

Physically, both Nall and Losman have a lot more to offer than Tom Brady. I'm not worried about the physical stuff. Can they see the field as well as Brady can? Can they make decisions as quickly and as well as he does? Do they have Brady's leadership skills? Can they be as accurate as Brady, with Brady's timing? There's where the real potential for upside (or lack thereof) comes in.

Bearing all this in mind, take a look at Nall. I'll grant the possibility Nall may be a one-game wonder. But a 139.4 QB rating--largely compiled against a fierce Chicago defense--isn't a Saab Station Wagon. It's a Ferrari. Maybe it's only a Ferrari for a day, but maybe it's something more. The only way to find out is to play him.

On what are you basing the difference between Nall and Losman?    Playing time?  Draft status?

687399[/snapback]

Losman is a much better athlete, much faster, much better runner, better and bigger arm, can throw on the run, can scramble, and was a number one draft choice. Nall is slower, can't run, less of an arm and didnt even start in college. If Losman and Nall both play as well as they can play, or both reach their potential, Losman will be a much better player. He has all the tools and better physical gifts than Nall.

It does serve to make me wonder why TD simply handed the job to Losman. I suppose it was because HE brought him to Buffalo at such a high cost.

This also does not seem to fare well for JP. He needs to go on the football field and produce this time.

687410[/snapback]

TD handed the job to Losman because Bledsoe tanked the Pittsburgh game. That was the reason.