eric moulds compared to andre reed?

In that case no.  Andre went across the middle.  Eric did early in his career but in the end didn't.  Reed made a living doing it.  Don't get me wrong I liked Eric alot but Andre never quit on his team.

685936[/snapback]

actually, moulds spent practically all of last year going across the middle.

i know jerry butler should be on this list also but do you guys think if moulds had kelly or basically switched spots with andre do you think reed would have the same dominance as eric without kelly and all the great players around him?  i was looking at some of eric's great highlights and man was this guy explosive as hell! he could score from anywhere, you guys remember that 84 yd td he caught one handed against the pats in 98 and out raced the whole secondary, wow!!!!!  just wondering on your guys thoughts on eric moulds strictly from 98-02, maybe the best bills reciever ever.....

685712[/snapback]

no way is eric half the player andre was......................andre was clutch...i dont ever remember eric in the clutch or hauling in a late game touchdown for a win, what i do rememeber is a guy who got nailed for unsportsman like conduct for spitting on opposing players(twice)getting nailed for offensive pass interference,and bowing out of games because another player on the team caught 3 touchdowns from that horrible quarterback that shouldnt even be in the league(j.p) oh that part about the qb was erics perspective i think jp is gonna turn out more than ok....

I think Moulds get dealt a bum deal in Buffalo as far as his playing situation. On top of the sub-par QB play thoughout his career, he was never able to get consitency in the gameplan. How many times did the OC, not to mention HC, change while Eric was here? How many different game plans, schemes, playcalling changes did he go through? There is no way a player or a team can be successful like that.

Yes, looking back on both of their careers, Reed was the better Bill's reciever, but put Moulds in a similar situation and I believe he would have been great. That's also why, though I am glad he is gone now, I give him a pass on his attitude last year and this off-season. How aggravating must it be to know you are going to have to learn your gazillionth playbook, still not have a steady QB, and now also have to deal with the new kid kicking your butt on the field. Like Chris Rock says....I don't think what he did was right, but I understand.

jamie i highly question your football knowledge when u say eric wasnt half the player andre was because he isnt clutch, WHAT?

98-long grab against the jags with 30 seconds left

98-long td with 10 min left in 4th vs dolphins at home to spark comeback

98-one of the greatest games ever on road vs pats 8-177-1td

98-constant big play threat this whole season, possibly one of the most explosive seasons ever for a reciever considering the circumstances.

99-playoffs vs dolphins greatest playoff game ever from a reciever, rice in superbowl and anthony carter for the vikings in 87 was awesome!

99-was hurt for three games.

99-great game vs steelers 6-122 and 49 yard td to spark victory

99-40 and 48 yd tds against the dolphins at crucial times in these games, especially on the road in the 4th quarter :(

99-35 yd catch in playoff game vs titans in 4th quarter that later helped the bills take lead

00-opening day with 50 seconds left mould takes a pass over the middle and races 36 yds down the field to set up game winning field goal :P

00-bills take lead with 1:08 left on a 40 yd td from moulds in the 4th. bill lose becasue of defense

00-vs jets in midseason moulds destroys aaron glenn with 6 catches for 138 and 2 td's the only reason buffalo won 23-20

01- moulds had a solid season considering the bills had no one. the talent level of this team is comparable to the 84-86 bills :P

02-moulds leads bills in every category and keeps more than one defender on him at all times, mould is 1st team all-pro :(

02-30 yard catch in ot to set up 15 yard screen pass to win

02-vs the fish on the road eric takes a long catch a out races entire fish secondary for a 70 yard td. wow i remember that one do u ;)

02-moulds has 5 catches for 138 and a td to help bills win 38-21

02-later in this season bledsoe says and i quote, "eric is by far the strongest and most explosive reciever i have ever seen or played with :D

eric moulds would have been twice the reciever reed was if he had his luck being in his generation!

go bills and hopefully lee evans can carry on the tradition.

i respectfully disagree with u jamie.

Jerry Butler was perhaps the best out of the three of them. Also Deubenion might have been up there too with Butler. Marlen Briscoe was up there as well as Haven Moses.Ahmad Rashad???Bobby Chandler??

I dont see a great deal of difference in talent between any of these receivers. They were all borderline greats. Moulds and Reed just did it for longer in eras where there were a lot more receptions to be had.

685751[/snapback]

I actually think that Butler was the best from a pure natural talent perspective. He was a game breaker. Looking at the numbers, of course Reed is the great Bills WR of all time. Reed had Kelly and Co. but he made himself great. He had an amazing work ethic! Moulds is close but I take Reed in his prime over Moulds. After these three I go with Lofton, although his best years were with Green Bay. Dubenion was awesome too, way back in the 60's. These 5 are the top tier.

Second tier is Rashad and Chandler. Trading Rashad was one of the all time great Bills blunders. He wanted a $20,000 raise!

Next tier has Moses, Briscoe, and lots of others. I would NOT consider them borderline great. Moses best years were in Denver.

How many home runs would Babe Ruth have hit if he did steroids and played 164 games a year? I'll tell ya - a TON! That's how many. It'd be so many that the Germans would have been afraid to bomb Pearl Harbor and start World War To. It would have changed HISTORY man. History!

685821[/snapback]

Um . . . the Japanese were the ones who bombed Pearl Harbor.

I actually think that Butler was the best from a pure natural talent perspective.  He was a game breaker.  Looking at the numbers, of course Reed is the great Bills WR of all time.  Reed had Kelly and Co. but he made himself great.  He had an amazing work ethic!  Moulds is close but I take Reed in his prime over Moulds.  After these three I go with Lofton, although his best years were with Green Bay.  Dubenion was awesome too, way back in the 60's.  These 5 are the top tier. 

Second tier is Rashad and Chandler.  Trading Rashad was one of the all time great Bills blunders.  He wanted a $20,000 raise! 

Next tier has Moses, Briscoe, and lots of others.  I would NOT consider them borderline great.  Moses best years were in Denver.

685995[/snapback]

I'd take each of those top three on my team any day. If only Butler could have stayed healthy...

:(

As for Moulds, it would have been fun to see what he could do as part of a really good team. But for my money, one of the most dominating performances I've ever seen from a Bills receiver -- heck, from ANY receiver -- happened in the Houston "Comeback" game. With Kelly and Thurman on the sideline and 32 points in the hole, 'Dre almost singlehandedly took the game over. Most people remember that game because of Frank Reich, or Steve Christie's game-winner in OT. But go back and watch some of the catches by #83; if he drops any of those balls, Buffalo probably doesn't win the game.

While I'm here, one minor correction from earlier in the thread:

James Lofton was a first ballot HOF'er.  One could throw him in the mix as well.

Not quite. Raymond Berry, Lance Alworth, Paul Warfield, and Steve Largent are the only modern-era (post-World War II) WRs to earn first-ballot enshrinement in the Hall of Fame. (Obviously, Jerry Rice will join them in August 2010.)

Lofton was elected in 2003, in his fifth year of eligibility and his third year as a finalist.

I actually think that Butler was the best from a pure natural talent perspective.  He was a game breaker.  Looking at the numbers, of course Reed is the great Bills WR of all time.  Reed had Kelly and Co. but he made himself great.  He had an amazing work ethic!  Moulds is close but I take Reed in his prime over Moulds.  After these three I go with Lofton, although his best years were with Green Bay.  Dubenion was awesome too, way back in the 60's.  These 5 are the top tier. 

Second tier is Rashad and Chandler.  Trading Rashad was one of the all time great Bills blunders.  He wanted a $20,000 raise! 

Next tier has Moses, Briscoe, and lots of others.  I would NOT consider them borderline great.  Moses best years were in Denver.

685995[/snapback]

If you include Rashads career in minny--then he was at least as good as Moulds/reed. Briscoe had crappy teams. Chandler had the best hands of all of them but not the speed. Moses' was a great receiver--on a CRUMMY Bills team--but if you include his denver days he was a major player.

--You had to bring up the 20k thing with Rashad!!!L O L!!!--who was the bills GM at the time--that Jagoff who played on the 60s Bills teams--wouldnt pay Cribbs??--or was it someone else.??

You can't cancel out Reed's accomplishments by simply saying he had "Kelly throwing him the ball." So, Reed did nothing to make all of those tremendous catches, it was all because the ball left Kelly's hand? Doesn't Reed, in some part, deserve any credit for Kelly's accomplishments? How about the offensive line? Thurman Thomas?

James Lofton?

My point is, the great thing about sports, is that as in few other things in life, you have stats to prove your point. Reed has the stats. Reed's teams were successful.

Moulds has nice stats too. They are not Reeds', though. Moulds may have been the superior athlete to Reed, he may have been faster, but he just lacked the in-game intensity, IMO, that Reed had.

Over the last few years, as the Bills have been a big disappointment, and those Super Bowl teams start to fade a little in our memories, I can't tell you how much it saddens me to see the accomplishments' of some of those great players shrugged off by so many Bills fans. Reed in particular. The guy was as "money" as any Bills player from the last 30 years. No, he didn't set a playoff record like Moulds (a record tarnished somewhat by the fact that he collected 90 of those yards on one play, and succeeded to fumble the ball on the play), but he participated in a lot of big games, and was rarely ineffective. Even in the Super Bowls, the guy took a pounding, but made whatever catch was there for him to make. I can't say the same about Moulds.