eric moulds compared to andre reed?

i know jerry butler should be on this list also but do you guys think if moulds had kelly or basically switched spots with andre do you think reed would have the same dominance as eric without kelly and all the great players around him? i was looking at some of eric's great highlights and man was this guy explosive as hell! he could score from anywhere, you guys remember that 84 yd td he caught one handed against the pats in 98 and out raced the whole secondary, wow!!!!! just wondering on your guys thoughts on eric moulds strictly from 98-02, maybe the best bills reciever ever.....

i know jerry butler should be on this list also but do you guys think if moulds had kelly or basically switched spots with andre do you think reed would have the same dominance as eric without kelly and all the great players around him?  i was looking at some of eric's great highlights and man was this guy explosive as hell! he could score from anywhere, you guys remember that 84 yd td he caught one handed against the pats in 98 and out raced the whole secondary, wow!!!!!  just wondering on your guys thoughts on eric moulds strictly from 98-02, maybe the best bills reciever ever.....

685712[/snapback]

i also remember the bomb he caught from flutie in the playoff game against miami which he then fumbled after sam madison caught him from behind

maybe it's just nostalgia speaking, but i don't remembe reed dropping many passes while moulds seemed to have trouble catching the ball alot...and reed was able to do this while going over the middle

yeah but what about the whole kelly factor, and i also remember that if we didnt have eric in that playoff game we would have got waxed, not to mention andre losing his temper at the goal line like a rookie. lets be realistic. the argument being implied that eric dropped more passes or was inconsistent catching the ball is absurd. ever since eric broke out i have seen him drop maybe 5 or 7 balls in the past 7 years or so. :w00t:

yeah but what about the whole kelly factor,  and i also remember that if we didnt have eric in that playoff game we would have got waxed, not to mention andre losing his temper at the goal line like a rookie. lets be realistic.  the argument being implied that eric dropped more passes or was inconsistent catching the ball is absurd. ever since eric broke out i have seen him drop maybe 5 or 7 balls in the past 7 years or so.  :w00t:

685727[/snapback]

I think the only argument thats absurd is yours. I love Moulds, but i dont know what games you watch because he drops way more passes than 1 a year.

i know jerry butler should be on this list also but do you guys think if moulds had kelly or basically switched spots with andre do you think reed would have the same dominance as eric without kelly and all the great players around him?  i was looking at some of eric's great highlights and man was this guy explosive as hell! he could score from anywhere, you guys remember that 84 yd td he caught one handed against the pats in 98 and out raced the whole secondary, wow!!!!!  just wondering on your guys thoughts on eric moulds strictly from 98-02, maybe the best bills reciever ever.....

685712[/snapback]

Jerry Butler was perhaps the best out of the three of them. Also Deubenion might have been up there too with Butler. Marlen Briscoe was up there as well as Haven Moses.Ahmad Rashad???Bobby Chandler??

I dont see a great deal of difference in talent between any of these receivers. They were all borderline greats. Moulds and Reed just did it for longer in eras where there were a lot more receptions to be had.

bottom line moulds had great hands and made his share of spectacular plays. i just think its sick to think what might have been when u see how great he really was with average players around him on offense, with a few guys that were real good- ruben brown, doug flutie and sam gash. :w00t:

eric moulds strictly from 98-02, maybe the best bills reciever ever.....

685712[/snapback]

I'll agree on 98-02 :(

Reed was the best WR ever hands down. Long & productive career, and you also have to consider team success over the same time. So what if you put up great #'s and you go 3-13 every year.

A lot of other WR's mentioned in this thread have the same problem. One or 2 great years, short careers like Butler, or the team stunk (Briscoe/Moses). Golden Wheels was just before my time

How many home runs would Babe Ruth have hit if he did steroids and played 164 games a year? I'll tell ya - a TON! That's how many. It'd be so many that the Germans would have been afraid to bomb Pearl Harbor and start World War To. It would have changed HISTORY man. History!

How many home runs would Babe Ruth have hit if he did steroids and played 164 games a year? I'll tell ya - a TON! That's how many. It'd be so many that the Germans would have been afraid to bomb Pearl Harbor and start World War To. It would have changed HISTORY man. History!

685821[/snapback]

This has nothing to do with the topic but I think Babe Ruth would be awful in this era. He could take steriods but would probably be to lazy or hungover to work out. So he would just have huge man boobs and bad acne. Also, he would be competiting with the best players in the world, not just the white ones. Sorry, off topic I know. :(

I'll agree on 98-02    :(

Reed was the best WR ever hands down.  Long & productive career, and you also have to consider team success over the same time.  So what if you put up great #'s and you go 3-13 every year.

A lot of other WR's mentioned in this thread have the same problem.  One or 2 great years, short careers like Butler, or the team stunk (Briscoe/Moses).  Golden Wheels was just before my time

685795[/snapback]

Careful about the definition of 'best'. Lots of RBs had more yards than Gale Sayers...and lots of receivers had more receptions than Lynn Swann.

yeah but what about the whole kelly factor,  and i also remember that if we didnt have eric in that playoff game we would have got waxed, not to mention andre losing his temper at the goal line like a rookie. lets be realistic.  the argument being implied that eric dropped more passes or was inconsistent catching the ball is absurd. ever since eric broke out i have seen him drop maybe 5 or 7 balls in the past 7 years or so.  :(

685727[/snapback]

When you make this argument, keep in mind that Reed helped Kelly as well.

C'mon, Moulds was a damn good receciever, but not in Reeds' class, as far as toughness and consistancy goes...

I know it has been popular to write off Reed all these years later, and unfortuantely, what most remember about him is his final season, in which he was not the same player, and just couldn't accept it. Moulds may have only dropped 5 or 7 balls the last 7 years (you are being very generous, but you are a fan, I can understand) but his intensity (or lack there of) and consitency, in my mind, which were always in question.

Moulds was a great team guy (up until this past season), but did have a tendancy to put forth less than stellar effort, or come up small, at key times. Don't get me wrong, I think Moulds was a great receiver, but not quite in the same class as Reed, or Jerry Butler for that matter. Still, I am sad to see him go, and it is kind of depressing that his career in Buffalo ended so ugly, and uncerimoniously.

685712[/snapback]

Moulds never had a Kelly at QB so Reed will be the greatest receiver Buffalo ever had. He did it all and wasn't afraid to line up in the slot. Having said that, I really think Eric would've shattered all those records if he had a very good QB who played for Moulds tenure here.

reed is the greatest of all time in reality because of the facts

-all time leader with bills in catches and recieving yards

-4 afc championship wins

-besides rice possibly the greatest ever at going over the middle

-great acceleration and ability after the catch

-great clutch reciever, except for in the second half of superbowl 25. lol

i just think that maybe since we all agree that kelly was a great qb with and without reed and moulds was great with or without a great qb is it reasonalble to think if moulds would have been hands down the greatest if in reed's shoes.

I think Moulds was the most talented receiver we have ever had. He had, along with some by Butler, the most spectacular catches I've seen by a Bill............But, you have to go with Andre as our best ever because of his production, year in and year out. Moulds seemed to be only great in the even numbered year, and the odd numbered, he flashed his brilliance, but never put it altogether.

For those who mentioned Haven Moses, my memory was him not being all that good as a Bill. It was when he went to the Broncs, that he showed why the Bills made him a first round pick.

the argument isnt about reed's production justifying his position as the bills best wr. the argument is if moulds was in reed's shoes and if reed was in moulds shoes, would we think of the two the same as we think of them now. i highly doubt it. so does that make moulds legend greater? :(

the argument isnt about reed's production justifying his position as the bills best wr.  the argument is if moulds was in reed's shoes and if reed was in moulds shoes, would we think of the two the same as we think of them now.  i highly doubt it. so does that make moulds legend greater? :(

685935[/snapback]

In that case no. Andre went across the middle. Eric did early in his career but in the end didn't. Reed made a living doing it. Don't get me wrong I liked Eric alot but Andre never quit on his team.