Suns defeat Lakers in game 7

This was posted on another board; thought it was interesting.

686380[/snapback]

That's pretty awesome....My interest in the NBA more or less started and ended with MJ. Sure, as a kid I watched guys like Dominique and Tree Rollins when I lived in Atlanta the first time, and I'd catch the slam dunk contest each year, but I never really WATCHED the game until MJ came along. Here is a guy who was clearly making more money than just about anyone else on the friggin planet, yet it NEVER affected his intensity and love for basketball. He never rested on his laurels, and even after his SIXTH ring he came back for more. Not for more money, or more fame, but for more of the game. How many guys can you really say that about?? In ANY sport?? He was the best, and he was a true craftsman.

I'm the sort of person who will almost always route for the underdog, unless it's one of my teams (Bills, Braves, Flyers, Sixers) playing. But with the Bulls, that was never the case. I always wanted them to win. When they signed Rodman I wanted them to win even more than before (can't help it....I like the guy). It was never that they were a great team, though. It was because of the way Jordan played the game.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NBA has been terrible for the last few years. However, there are a bunch of stars like LeBron, Dwayne Wade, Carmelo, and Nash would are making it fun to watch. And Kobe (who I despise) is good for the league because he definitely has that hate'em or love'em charisma like the Yankees.

That's pretty awesome....My interest in the NBA more or less started and ended with MJ. Sure, as a kid I watched guys like Dominique and Tree Rollins when I lived in Atlanta the first time, and I'd catch the slam dunk contest each year, but I never really WATCHED the game until MJ came along. Here is a guy who was clearly making more money than just about anyone else on the friggin planet, yet it NEVER affected his intensity and love for basketball. He never rested on his laurels, and even after his SIXTH ring he came back for more. Not for more money, or more fame, but for more of the game. How many guys can you really say that about?? In ANY sport??  He was the best, and he was a true craftsman.

I'm the sort of person who will almost always route for the underdog, unless it's one of my teams (Bills, Braves, Flyers, Sixers) playing. But with the Bulls, that was never the case. I always wanted them to win. When they signed Rodman I wanted them to win even more than before (can't help it....I like the guy). It was never that they were a great team, though. It was because of the way Jordan played the game.

686386[/snapback]

I feel the exact same way. Haven't watched a single NBA game from start to finish this year - 10 years ago as a kid I used to watch it on NBC every weekend afternoon. Partially because the players now are all prima donnas, partially because the officiating blows, partially because it's so predictable. The degree to which ESPN hypes up all these other meaningles series' because they air the games is kinda pathetic. I work in an office full of sports fans and I've yet to hear anybody say "Hey did you see the Mavericks/Heat/Pistons/Spurs game last night?"

I feel the exact same way.  Haven't watched a single NBA game from start to finish this year - 10 years ago as a kid I used to watch it on NBC every weekend afternoon.  Partially because the players now are all prima donnas, partially because the officiating blows, partially because it's so predictable.  The degree to which ESPN hypes up all these other meaningles series' because they air the games is kinda pathetic.  I work in an office full of sports fans and I've yet to hear anybody say "Hey did you see the Mavericks/Heat/Pistons/Spurs game last night?"

686402[/snapback]

I agree....and if Kobe is the flag bearer from here on in? I don't see myself becoming a 'fan' again anytime soon. Sure, from time to time there will be an interesting game or plot line to follow (like watching Kobe get his ass knocked out of the playoffs 0:) , but I think those things you mentioned in your post are more than enough to keep me away for the most part.

Kobe is not Jordan, but let's not throw him completely under the bus.  In game 4, the guy hit a game tying floating layup at the end of regulation and a fade away jumper at the buzzer in OT to win the game and take a 3-1 series lead.  In game 6 he scored 50 points and if his team could've gotten a rebound, Tim Thomas never would've hit a three to tie the game.  Kobe would've had 50, the Lakers would've upset, and everyone would've said how Kobe put the team on his back.

I'm not a big Kobe fan, but let's not alter history here.  Jordan was the greatest player and winner of the Nike hoops generation.  But come on: Smush Parker is not Steve Kerr, Luke Walton is not Scottie Pippen, Kwame Brown is not Dennis Rodman.  Jordan had vet Ron Harper in the backcourt with him, and Kukoc coming off the bench.  Surround a player of Jordan's caliber with those guys and they should win.  Kobe leading the Lakers' team of stiffs into the playoffs at all was quite the accomplishment.

Now, that said, the Lakers did build a championship team, and Kobe was a major factor in driving that apart.  He forced a trade of one of the greatest centers in league history when Shaq was still in his low-30's.  Not exactly his prime, but plenty of games left.  Now Kobe got what he wanted....His own team and a 1st round exit.

686220[/snapback]

Nobody is saying Kobe isn't great. But for all his heroics in Game 4 and Game 6, his team needed him badly in Game 7 last night. And after he had a great 2nd quarter with his team down 15 at the half, the Lakers needed him to try to take over that game in the second half. Like he did against Toronto scoring 81.

Instead, what did Kobe do? Hardly even looked for his shot and kept giving the ball up. Real superstars don't do that when their teammates can't throw the ball in the ocean. He was so passive it was sad. I thought Kobe would've gone out swinging. But instead, he wussed out.

It was disappointing.

I was going to write out this long retort to the flat out lies posted in this thread surround Kobe and the Lakers....but in the end it would just take too long.....

While you may be great and experienced bills fans my brethren....you know next to NOTHING about Kobe Bryant and the lakers....

687590[/snapback]

Can you elaborate a little, John? I always enjoy reading what you have to say, even if you just sort of give a brief idea of what you mean.

I was listening to the Dan Patrick show on ESPN radio, and they said that Raja Bell's mother asked Kobe after the game, while he was walking through the players' tunnel, if he needed a hug.  I LMMFAO at that one!

687679[/snapback]

What she should be answering is why she raised such a whiny little B*$& who cant keep his head when he starts playing ghetto ball and his opponent gives it back to him....

Given what Bell was talking in the media and his actions on the court Kobe Bryant responded much more professionaly

What she should be answering is why she raised such a whiny little B*$&  who cant keep his head when he starts playing ghetto ball and his opponent gives it back to him....

Given what Bell was talking in the media and his actions on the court Kobe Bryant responded much more professionaly

They talked about this on ESPN radio the past few days. They basically said that Jordan wouldn't have concerned himself with a plugger like Bell like Kobe did. And Bell wouldn't have called-out a guy like Jordan.

And what Bell's mother was referring to was Kobe's zinger that maybe Bell "wasn't hugged enough as a child." That's what made her words so funny.

Mad,

And do you know WHY Jordon wouldn't have concerned himself with a scrub like Raja Bell? and do you know what Raja wouldn't have called out Jordon?

BECAUSE the way the league and its officials treat Jordon as compared to Kobe Bryant are apples and oranges...

I have watched a LOT of Jordons play and because he was the poster player for the league when he got breathed on he went straight to the free throw line....players around the league understood that you dont bump, rub, hard foul, etc etc Michael Jordon because if you did you would be in foul trouble really quick...

For those who bother to do more then read ESPN headlines....go back and actually watch the games......it had to be a very obvious foul to be called for Kobe (and in some cases even the obvious ones aren't called....see the regular season and especially game 1 of the series where Kobe gets a big knott on his forehead for driving to the basket with NO call)

Now go ahead and look at Raja's defense on Kobe through the whole series....it is illegal to both your hands on a offensive player and it is also illegal to impede a players movement by grabbing him around the court Raja was doing this on EVERY TIME DOWN with hardly a call.....so Kobe does what every player is taught to do in the situation....he excentuates his movements so as to make the holding even obvious to the refs who conveniently cannot seem to find their glasses.....and when that happens Raja takes the first contact he gets and then flops like he got hit by a sumo wrestler.....KOBE NEVER DOES THAT

And even through all that...even through the fouling...even through the non calls....even through the closeline that could have seriously injured him and then the extra push in the face to make sure he landed hard on the court.....Kobe's response to it all was "its just playoff basketball" no complaint....just professionalism

Meanwhile Raja is taunting the lakers bench after he intentionally tries to hurt Kobe.....then goes on to make those remarks in the paper like the little &itch that he is.....mama must be very proud

Kobe Bryant is the most misunderstood player ever...EVER....he will pay for a mistake in judgement that he made for the rest of his life most of the league has done it at one time or another and people will continue put him side by side with Michael Jordon and say how much he is not Michael.....

On the court Kobe Bryant already is a better player then Michael ever was because he fights through more adversity then Michael ever had to......yes the great Michael who every feels it is ok to look past his own womanizing, cheating, gambling human being.

But go on folks....keep on forming your opinions off ESPN

Mad,

And do you know WHY Jordon wouldn't have concerned himself with a scrub like Raja Bell?  and do you know what Raja wouldn't have called out Jordon?

BECAUSE the way the league and its officials treat Jordon as compared to Kobe Bryant are apples and oranges...

I have watched a LOT of Jordons play and because he was the poster player for the league when he got breathed on he went straight to the free throw line....players around the league understood that you dont bump, rub, hard foul, etc etc Michael Jordon because if you did you would be in foul trouble really quick...

For those who bother to do more then read ESPN headlines....go back and actually watch the games......it had to be a very obvious foul to be called for Kobe (and in some cases even the obvious ones aren't called....see the regular season and especially game 1 of the series where Kobe gets a big knott on his forehead for driving to the basket with NO call)

Now go ahead and look at Raja's defense on Kobe through the whole series....it is illegal to both your hands on a offensive player and it is also illegal to impede a players movement by grabbing him around the court Raja was doing this on EVERY TIME DOWN with hardly a call.....so Kobe does what every player is taught to do in the situation....he excentuates his movements so as to make the holding even obvious to the refs who conveniently cannot seem to find their glasses.....and when that happens Raja takes the first contact he gets and then flops like he got hit by a sumo wrestler.....KOBE NEVER DOES THAT

And even through all that...even through the fouling...even through the non calls....even through the closeline that could have seriously injured him and then the extra push in the face to make sure he landed hard on the court.....Kobe's response to it all was "its just playoff basketball" no complaint....just professionalism

Meanwhile Raja is taunting the lakers bench after he intentionally tries to hurt Kobe.....then goes on to make those remarks in the paper like the little &itch that he is.....mama must be very proud

Kobe Bryant is the most misunderstood player ever...EVER....he will pay for a mistake in judgement that he made for the rest of his life most of the league has done it at one time or another and people will continue put him side by side with Michael Jordon and say how much he is not Michael.....

On the court Kobe Bryant already is a better player then Michael ever was because he fights through more adversity then Michael ever had to......yes the great Michael who every feels it is ok to look past his own womanizing, cheating, gambling human being.

But go on folks....keep on forming your opinions off ESPN

688084[/snapback]

I don't give a damn about Kobe one way or the other, but I agree 100% with your take on Jordan, he is a true POS. I loved it back when Mahorn and Laimbeer beat the living crap out of him if he even thought about driving to the basket... then the savage beatdowns stopped once the New Jordan Rules were put in place circa 1990 and MJ was given everything to him on a silver platter. :lol:

On the court Kobe Bryant already is a better player then Michael ever was because he fights through more adversity then Michael ever had to......

688084[/snapback]

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA. this is the biggest line of sh-- i have ever heard in my life. putting "therapist"'s name anywhere near MJ is an insult to the fans, to the game, and to the dead body of Dr. James Naismith.

Kobe misundersood? I guess he misunderstood what NO meant.

John,

you are severely misguided, obviously biased with an arrogance that is totally unjustified to boot. 

For one thing, who are all these people on ESPN that were slamming Kobe after the Game 5 incident?

688171[/snapback]

Ha....I love it....

No sir I am informed and dont base my opinions off of what sportscasters and media say about someone.....

Arrogance? I didn't realize someone could be arrogant on a message board...it is more like confident in my opinion

You are taking one instance where ESPN realizes that majority of the nation is going to see a closeline that is even illegal in football and not react well to it. If you want to see what I am talking about from ESPN did deeper.....look at how Kobe is perceived through them while guys like Nash, Labron, Wade, etc etc etc and notice the differences....

By the way....way I am talking about ESPN I am basing lumping media in general together.....after the game 5 incident there was someone on WGR talking about how it wasn't that bad of a hit and how he deserved it by elbowig Raja (who didn't get hit and flopped on the play)

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA. this is the biggest line of sh-- i have ever heard in my life. putting "therapist"'s name anywhere near MJ is an insult to the fans, to the game, and to the dead body of Dr. James Naismith.

688129[/snapback]

I rest my case...

Michael Jordon - womanizer, gambler = good

Kobe Briant - womanizer = bad

By the way.....lets quit with the revisionist history......a small town, suicide prone, drug addict, trailer park trash, hoe who willingly went to a players room tried to cry rape and then didn't have the courage to take the stand and face her accuser and left the prosecution hanging because she was about to get her story torn apart by the defense......

Kobe was not convicted of any crime.....he is giulty of making a very bad mistake...but it is the EXACT same mistake that Michael Jordon made and probably most of the NBA league has ALSO made....

But hey....crucifying Kobe is fun.....he makes an easy target.

John: I definitely respect your take, but I'm not sure I understand the point about ESPN and the media. I don't profess to speak for anyone but myself, but I watched a LOT of Bulls games back in the day and feel I have a pretty good grasp of what Jordan brought to the table. I don't feel that way because of what some commentator or reporter said about him.....I feel that way cause I watched him play for fifteen years.

I was living in Philly when Kobe made the decision to jump to the NBA from HS. I remember it being the focus of a LOT of the programming on WIP at the time, most people being in favor of him going to college. I felt the opposite....if someone gave me the chance to earn millions out of HS, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I supported his decision. When I found out he spoke a couple languages, seemed like a good kid, etc, I was in his corner. There was a lot of talk that the Sixers would draft Kobe if they decided to trade out of their spot in the draft. But anyway, Kobe is still young....but while Jordan certainly had some issues off the court, I just can't look at Kobe as the same quality of player. Clearly he has some clutch to him, and he's great at finding/creating his shot, but I don't see him as anywhere near the leader Jordan was, nor is his game as well-rounded (particularly on defense).

Now I'll also say that I've really soured on the NBA and I haven't seen Kobe anywhere near as much as I saw MJ. And I'll also say that this is nothing more than my opinion :lol:

688129[/snapback]

I still want my #8 Jersey with the name Therapist on it. :)