CUTTING TO 53:

Last year, amazingly, and for no good reason, we kept seven WRs: Evans, Moulds, Parrish, Reed, Aiken, Fast Freddie and Wilson. Part of it was because Parrish was hurt and they didnt know when he would return but even when he did we kept the 7. That's two more than necessary but we will probably keep 6. Getting Nance on the practice squad would be a nice addition, and since he wasn't drafted, there is probably a good chance he wouldn't be scooped up by another team so late in the pre-season that had to put him on their roster.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Against NE last year he had a 40 + yard TD reception that was only 10 or 15 in the air the rest he ran for.. it was the most impressive YAC we had...was snowing if you remember

685448[/snapback]

It was the last play of the game to avoid a shutout if you rember!!!

It was the last play of the game to avoid a shutout if you rember!!!

685497[/snapback]

Buffalo Bills at 02:36

1-10-BUF49 (2:36) (Shotgun) J.Losman pass incomplete. Thrown away after pressure by J.Green.

2-10-BUF49 (2:29) (Shotgun) J.Losman pass to J.Reed for 51 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Caught over middle at NE 49, crossed to left and down sideline; cut back inside at NE 15 to end zone.

R.Lindell extra point is GOOD, Center-M.Schneck, Holder-B.Moorman.

NE 35 BUF 7, Plays: 2 Yards: 51 Possession: 0:29.

This is very interesting stuff. However, the really interesting thing about it strikes me how impossible it is at this point to make good predictions which if they turn out to be correct its mostly really gonna be attributable to coincidence and luck rather than football knowledge.

At this point there are so many things which no one knows for sure like:

1. What will be the actual Cover 2 D scheme we use and how will players used to make this scheme work (if our Cover 2 is really the same as what Jauron employed historically and is not altered to embody Fennell;s experience, the talents of the players we have and most of all so opponents cannot predict it we will get killed).

2. ST play quality will have a huge impact on marginal decisions regarding who stays and who goes (all players will have to contribute to this team to stay and the primary contribution back-ups can make will be on ST and this will likely determine a lot who stays rather than how good of a position player they are).

3. Contracts and deadspace will make be a significant marginal factor in who gets cut or not (The Bills have actually extended a chunk of contracts and will have an indiidual doable amount of deadspace when some them are cut but collectively its gonna mean lesser players get kept. No one outside of the signers knows the exact dates and language of the contracts- though we know a lot thanks to Clumpy- or how we will put together the collective impact).

4. Marv is renowned for managing the braintrust as a team rather than having decisions made by one individual who style or decisions are easily predicted (Marv's main fight during his HC time seemed to be with Marchibroda whom clearly developed a system which worked, but it appears that one of marv's issues was that Teddy's system was Teddy's rather than a collaboration. Collaborative decision-making is far more difficult to predict).

5. Injuries will make a difference whether a player stays or goes or needs to be backed-up (there are some factors like injury proneness or recurring injury which show themselves to us outsiders, but a lot that teams are keeping secret or sending out disinformation about and this factor will be difficult to predict as well)

6. other stuff.

The bottomline here IMHO is not that this is too difficult to predict to talk about, but simply that it is hard to take these predictions as more than a posters fact-free opinions that they like a player or do not like him for whatever reason they choose.

The predictions themselves are interesting just pretty impossible to take seriously at this point and probably not until reports from the camps are circulated and a couple of pre-season games occur.

You HAVE to keep five LBs, it's a given, with Spikes' injury (they kept SIX even when Spikes was healthy).  Spikes-Fletch-Posey-Crowell-Stamer-Ellison.

685339[/snapback]

good job now you have no backup inside LB :w00t:

OLB

Jeff Posey

Takeo Spikes

Angelo Crowell

Josh Stamer

Haggan is a MLB, I think Keith Ellison goes on the PS. I also dont know where he fits on a team, he's too small for LB, im not sure what their plans for him are but i think he sits a year.

DT

Larry Tripplett

Tim Anderson

John McCargo

Kyle Williams

Lauvale Sape

I've never been a part of the Sape fan club but i think in the new defense he fits the style so i can see him staying, but i really dont care either way.

OG

Chris Villarrial

Tutan Reyes

Duke Preston

Dylan McFarland

Justin Geisinger (OC)

Aaron Merz (PS)

I think there are a few things to keep in mind here. We carried 7 WR's all last year. Peerless could get cut if he continues to show nothing, Aiken could get cut if he shows he is only a special teamer, Wilson could get cut it was the old regime that liked him.

Lee Evans

Andre' Davis

Peerless Price

Martin Nance

Josh Reed

Roscoe Parrish

Well, let's use process of elimination:

JP will be gone, because he's a bust.

Willis will be gone, because he has a bad attitude.

Clements will be gone, because who wants Judas around?

Josh Reed will be gone, because he drops 100% of the passes thrown to him.

Peters will be gone, because if he gets moved to LT he'll demand to be paid like one.

All our draft picks this year will be gone, because they are busts.

Spikes will be gone because he'll only be playing at 97% of last year.

Peerless will be gone because he didn't show up to the rookie mini-camp.

Posey's gone because Crowell is taking over.

Tough to tell, but at this point it looks like Mike Williams won't make the Bills roster this year...

Am I down to 53 yet?

Well, let's use process of elimination:

JP will be gone, because he's a bust.

Willis will be gone, because he has a bad attitude.

Clements will be gone, because who wants Judas around?

Josh Reed will be gone, because he drops 100% of the passes thrown to him.

Peters will be gone, because if he gets moved to LT he'll demand to be paid like one.

All our draft picks this year will be gone, because they are busts.

Spikes will be gone because he'll only be playing at 97% of last year.

Peerless will be gone because he didn't show up to the rookie mini-camp.

Posey's gone because Crowell is taking over.

Tough to tell, but at this point it looks like Mike Williams won't make the Bills roster this year...

Am I down to 53 yet?

685784[/snapback]

LMAO!!! You are so right. :(

I think there are a few things to keep in mind here. We carried 7 WR's all last year. Peerless could get cut if he continues to show nothing, Aiken could get cut if he shows he is only a special teamer,

685527[/snapback]

Actually, I think that the only way Aiken makes the roster is by special teams..... he's competing for the #5WR/Special Teams roster spot, plain and simple.

JDG

I think it is all about the O Line.

At left guard we should look at Bennie Anderson, a FA from the Ravens. He's described as a classic road grader, an interior mauler, and a huge boost for the smashmouth running game. He was a starter for Baltimore and cleared the way for Jamal Lewis. At 6'5" 345 lbs I have him penciled in as an anchor on the line for several years to come.

At center, we might want to make a move for Trey Teague, recently signed by the Jets. He's a versatile veteran with a lot of experience playing for Denver, and you all know how powerful the Broncos' running game is.

At right tackle, a hidden gem might be Mike Williams, a former top ten pick who underperformed due to injury in his first few years in the league. Under MacNally he could really blossom into a great FA value pickup and a dominant OL.

My biggest concern is Peters. He is unproven and hadn't even played OL before the NFL.

CUTS down to 53: Preston (hasn't shown us anything), Fowler and Reyes (too old to be molded by MacNally).

June FA signings: LJ Shelton?