Thanks, Leo

Draft experts my ass

One of the best articles he's ever written. Dead on.

Edit: I put much more credence in the opinions of someone like Roth, who actually follows and watches the Bills on a regular basis, than in the opinions of an "expert" whose job is to cover the entire league and specializes in no one team.

I love the article too - and is exactly what I was arguing on Saturday afternoon in the bar: it's better to pick what you need, where you are, than take risks in trading and ending up with lesser talent or gys you don't need.

I like the Bills draft.

They fixed the foundation?

680858[/snapback]

Joe, Joe, Joe...basic metaphorical stuff here. "Foundation" in this context means substance over style. We all know you expected Marv to bring in Steve Hutchinson, draft Da Brick and Mangold, and also grab Mario Williams, Bunkley, and Ngata. Sorry that didn't happen.

Like it or not, this draft addressed definite needs on the Bills' roster and is a step in the right direction. I haven't actually gone back and counted, but if I recall correctly the Bills have brought in at least five new faces to compete for OL positions since the end of last season as well.

Sounds like they're making a real strong effort to fix the foundation.

On paper, they upgraded one of the worst defensive units in the NFL last season, addressing the line and safety positions after years of neglect.

Really?

2001: Aaron Schobel, Ron Edwards, Tyrone Robertson

2002: Ryan Denney, Coy Wire, Justin Bannan

2003: Chris Kelsay, Lauvale Sape

2004: Tim Anderson

Not to mention FA's Lawyer Milloy, Troy Vincent, Sam Adams... and we had Pat Williams.

I see a lot of 1st day picks there and big FA signings. This is considered "years of neglect"??? :lol:

I didn't get that from the article.  What I took away is that in grading the QB's, Marv liked Cutler better than Leinart (and Young), but didn't think any was worth a high draft pick.

680912[/snapback]

Nor did he think a QB was necessary.

Leo hit the nail on the head talking about the Bears 1999 team - bad offense, but the defense wasn't letting anyone past the line of scrimmage. The Bills have enough to work with on offense (though I'm still concerned about the OL), so it was time to get the defense in order.

Really?

2001: Aaron Schobel, Ron Edwards, Tyrone Robertson

2002: Ryan Denney, Coy Wire, Justin Bannan

2003: Chris Kelsay, Lauvale Sape

2004: Tim Anderson

Not to mention FA's Lawyer Milloy, Troy Vincent, Sam Adams... and we had Pat Williams.

I see a lot of 1st day picks there and big FA signings.  This is considered "years of neglect"??? :lol:

680978[/snapback]

Bingo.

Let's face it. Not every writer is capable of being on the top of his game all the time. Like any other profession. So you're never going to agree with all of his columns. But it's a simply fact that when the writer writes something you agree with he is very good, and when he writes something you don't, he sucks. Pretty much every time. :lol:

Let's face it. Not every writer is capable of being on the top of his game all the time. Like any other profession. So you're never going to agree with all of his columns. But it's a simply fact that when the writer writes something you agree with he is very good, and when he writes something you don't, he sucks. Pretty much every time.  :lol:

681030[/snapback]

While that may be true for many, I appreciate an article that is well-reasoned and supported by some sort of logic -- regardless of whether or not i agree with the conclusion. In fact, the articles I don't agree with, but are at least supported by logic, spur the very best debate and conversation.

Whether you agree with Leo or not, this particular article is a well-reasoned, logical piece of writing.

While that may be true for many, I appreciate an article that is well-reasoned and supported by some sort of logic -- regardless of whether or not i agree with the conclusion.  In fact, the articles I don't agree with, but are at least supported by logic, spur the very best debate and conversation.

Whether you agree with Leo or not, this particular article is a well-reasoned, logical piece of writing.

681043[/snapback]

Except for the huge straw man he creates as the basis for the entire piece. :lol:

Joe, Joe, Joe...basic metaphorical stuff here.  "Foundation" in this context means substance over style.  We all know you expected Marv to bring in Steve Hutchinson, draft Da Brick and Mangold, and also grab Mario Williams, Bunkley, and Ngata.  Sorry that didn't happen.

Like it or not, this draft addressed definite needs on the Bills' roster and is a step in the right direction.  I haven't actually gone back and counted, but if I recall correctly the Bills have brought in at least five new faces to compete for OL positions since the end of last season as well.

Sounds like they're making a real strong effort to fix the foundation.

680875[/snapback]

convincing Joe that Marv or the org is doing anything positive is like making this message board solve world hunger, aint going to happen. Joe will complain till we finally win a SB and than will complain why we didnt win the nesxt, next, next etc

convincing Joe that Marv or the org is doing anything positive is like making this message board solve world hunger, aint going to happen.  Joe will complain till we finally win a SB and than will complain why we didnt win the nesxt, next, next etc

681059[/snapback]

Yes, because you know me so well.

Hey, maybe you enjoy 8-8, 4-12, 8-8, 6-10, 9-7, 5-11. That's cool with me, you enjoy watching a losing team that has a few fundamental and glaring flaws. And maybe, just maybe, you enjoy watching that team ignore said flaws. That's fine by me too, but it doesn't mean that everyone around you has to agree with it.

Now, I realize that response was a little complex for someone of your simple mind, so let me paraphrase for you:

This team has stunk on ice for a loooong time. I want to see it get better. You apparently don't.

Have a great day.

Roth wrote...

"And if the Bills do strike out with Losman or Nall, fine. They'll have a shot at Notre Dame's Brady Quinn next year or some other free agent. And that quarterback should have a fine young defense to support him. Like Roethlisberger has had with the Super Bowl champion Steelers. "

Not too far removed from what I said in a thread yesterday...

"Well...I don't think there is any question the Bills are trusting what their HC knows 1st. And I definitely think it has something to do with a lack of Long Term faith in JP, Holcomb or Nall...I just think Marv and Jauron are saying "We'll see if someone steps up at QB." That's about it...I don't think there are ANY plans beyond 2006 for The Bills at QB...It's all up in the air now...

So in the meantime The New Bills Brass try to build a tougher, faster, more Talented Defense and hope the QB situation fixes itself in 2006...And if not Marv and Jauron will go get their QB in 2007, one way or another...

I think this draft was the final proof this is NOT a one year Plan...Not even close...Marv and Jauron are going to hope for the best this Season, and attack the Offensive side in 2007..."

Except for the huge straw man he creates as the basis for the entire piece.  :lol:

681050[/snapback]

Please identify for the illiterate and ignorant among us what straw man Leo created, and the "real" argument he should have been arguing against.

Please identify for the illiterate and ignorant among us what straw man Leo created, and the "real" argument he should have been arguing against.

681102[/snapback]

perhaps you could just read this thread as I already pointed it out.

perhaps you could just read this thread as I already pointed it out.

681107[/snapback]

The strawman is not that we allegedly neglected the defense over the years, but that we chose defense over the two QB prospects for a reason. I see nothing wrong with the approach we took this year. I have not gone through all the postings and opinions on the draft, so can you give me a link to your take ?