The steal of the draft

Yeah I read that.  What a genius Saban is! :)

679965[/snapback]

Actually, Saban knew about the condition. It's really an indictment of the draft experts who called him the "steal/bargain of the draft," and an indication that maybe sometimes the people in the front offices know more about situations than the draft experts...

Actually, Saban knew about the condition.  It's really an indictment of the draft experts who called him the "steal/bargain of the draft," and an indication that maybe sometimes the people in the front offices know more about situations than the draft experts...

679985[/snapback]

Link? I gotta know more.

Actually, Saban knew about the condition.  It's really an indictment of the draft experts who called him the "steal/bargain of the draft," and an indication that maybe sometimes the people in the front offices know more about situations than the draft experts...

679985[/snapback]

NOOOOOO!! Say it ain't so! You mean, the people in the war rooms for the teams drafting players don't get all of their information from the media??? Are you saying that they actually know someething that the media experts do not?

My world has been shatttered! :):)

Yeah I read that.  What a genius Saban is! :)

679965[/snapback]

So he took with a late pick a talented but injured player who'll likely sit out his entire rookie season rehabbing. And he's an idiot.

But when Donahoe used a first round pick to take a talented but injured player who sat out his entire rookie season rehabbing, he was a genius.

:)

So he took with a late pick a talented but injured player who'll likely sit out his entire rookie season rehabbing.  And he's an idiot.

But when Donahoe used a first round pick to take a talented but injured player who sat out his entire rookie season rehabbing, he was a genius. 

680001[/snapback]

:) Go figure.

So he took with a late pick a talented but injured player who'll likely sit out his entire rookie season rehabbing.  And he's an idiot.

680001[/snapback]

It's the media golldarnnit! The media!

680001[/snapback]

I think it was a very smart pick. This guy was much heralded his first two seasons, and I always wondered what happened. If he can get well and get back tothe form of his first two years, he WILL be a steal!

I never called Saban an "idiot" or Donahoe a "genius" for those picks. And Dan Gross pretty much summed-it-up, while I thought that Saban was the one calling it the "steal of the draft."

I think it was a very smart pick.  This guy was much heralded his first two seasons, and I always wondered what happened.  If he can get well and get back tothe form of his first two years, he WILL be a steal!

680008[/snapback]

From what little I know about it, I wish the Bills had made that pick. Every time someone questions the wisdom of taking a talented player with injure questions in the draft, I think of Thurman Thomas. Injuries can be fixed and heal, talent is something you have to take when you find it. Spending a low pick on such a player should be a no-brainer.

I never called Saban an "idiot" or Donahoe a "genius" for those picks.  And Dan Gross pretty much summed-it-up, while I thought that Saban was the one calling it the "steal of the draft."

680015[/snapback]

Which makes me wonder a bit - is Willis ever going to get that stiffarm back?

From what little I know about it, I wish the Bills had made that pick.  Every time someone questions the wisdom of taking a talented player with injure questions in the draft, I think of Thurman Thomas.  Injuries can be fixed and heal, talent is something you have to take when you find it.  Spending a low pick on such a player should be a no-brainer.

680019[/snapback]

B'gals signed the highly-touted C Ben Wilkerson to a UDFA contract with his blasted-apart knee last year.

Assigned him to the practice squad. They were very...very sure to give him IR status near the end of last season...can't pluck an IR ps'er.

Knee is looking ok so far. He may not play, but a small investment and a bit of luck can pay off from time to time. Rocky Bleir comes to mind...:)

So, let's say that he comes back in 2007, missing this whole season. And let's say that perfectly healthy, he only grades out to being a 3rd round pick. So Saban traded a 2006 7th for a 2007 3rd, in essence, and we're bashing him for it?

So, let's say that he comes back in 2007, missing this whole season.  And let's say that perfectly healthy, he only grades out to being a 3rd round pick.  So Saban traded a 2006 7th for a 2007 3rd, in essence, and we're bashing him for it?

680206[/snapback]

Of course we would. Haven't you been reading this board lately? :doh:

:doh:

680001[/snapback]

Interesting how he also was a genius then even though it seemed like McGahee was picked earlier than slotted.

Even now, I don't think it was such a genius pick. The Bills were 8-8 that season. Picking a player that could have been full-strength the following season should have been the focus in that situation. That was a pick of a playoff team, not a team-at the time-seemingly close to making the playoffs.

So, let's say that he comes back in 2007, missing this whole season.  And let's say that perfectly healthy, he only grades out to being a 3rd round pick.  So Saban traded a 2006 7th for a 2007 3rd, in essence, and we're bashing him for it?

680206[/snapback]

Exactly. It was a good pick. Lot of upside, very little downside.

hey for a 1st round talent i'd use a 7th round pick on a guy and wait a year.

and what the hell are we as bills fans to make fun of this when we used a 1st round pick not a 7th, and waited a year (mcgahee) :doh:

I think Saban was smart. He doesn't give up anything, and gets a lot of potential.

I also think he's showing a lot of confidence in his medical staff, who will be very involved in the kid's rehab. Ultimately, it's a crapshoot because the kid will be out of action for a while, but then again everybody thought Thurman was done after tearing up his knee, and the Oilers let Tasker go partly because they thought his knee was bad.

So, why not take a chance?

:P

680001[/snapback]

Sometimes, you make too much sense...other times....I dunno! :doh: