Pat Kirwan on Sirius evaluated the Bills Draft

kota

He didn't bash the bills once. He said that there were 3 corner/safety players in the draft. Huff, Whitner, and Sims who went to the Dolphins. All 3 were gone by the 15th round. He said that it was interesting that 2 teams in the AFC east went for this type of player. He said it was to beat NEW ENGLAND and win the division. NE has large WR's for TE's and slot receivers which Whitner can Cover. He says that when Whitner makes a play on a NE TE or slot WR it will all be forgotten.

He also said that if you look at the draft there wasn't a team that would have traded up between picks 9 and 15 and still allow Buffalo to take Whitner even with Leinhart still available. So the Bills take the guy who they want and move on.

He said that the Mccargo Pick was more contravarsial. He said that a Bunkley Griffin might have been a better combo but it is all Hindsight. Take a DT like Bunkley who is a good talent and hope that the Corner like Cedric Griffin would work out. Or you could go with a Whitner Mccargo combo which is the same thing but reversed. It is obvious what the Bills wanted so they got it. He said that Whitner was moving up quickly on all draft boards out there so the pick didn't suprise him.

Pat Kirwan is very objective and fair on his assetments. His cohosts tend to go off the deep end but Kirwan always plays devils advocate and looks at it from a GM point of view since his cohosts are typically recent former NFL players who don't know anything on how the front office works.

Good conversation imo.

He didn't bash the bills once.  He said that there were 3 corner/safety players in the draft.  Huff, Whitner, and Sims who went to the Dolphins.  All 3 were gone by the 15th round.  He said that it was interesting that 2 teams in the AFC east went for this type of player.  He said it was to beat NEW ENGLAND and win the division.  NE has large WR's for TE's and slot receivers which Whitner can Cover.  He says that when Whitner makes a play on a NE TE or slot WR it will all be forgotten.

He also said that if you look at the draft there wasn't a team that would have traded up between picks 9 and 15 and still allow Buffalo to take Whitner even with Leinhart still available.  So the Bills take the guy who they want and move on.

He said that the Mccargo Pick was more contravarsial.  He said that a Bunkley Griffin might have been a better combo but it is all Hindsight.  Take a DT like Bunkley who is a good talent and hope that the Corner like Cedric Griffin would work out.  Or you could go with a Whitner Mccargo combo which is the same thing but reversed.  It is obvious what the Bills wanted so they got it.  He said that Whitner was moving up quickly on all draft boards out there so the pick didn't suprise him. 

Nice. I like Kirwins assessments on this type of stuff. The more I read that teams had Whitmer rated higher than Mel Kiper just tells me that Mel is a bigger tool than I thought.

Pat Kirwan is very objective and fair on his assetments.  His cohosts tend to go off the deep end but Kirwan always plays devils advocate and looks at it from a GM point of view since his cohosts are typically recent former NFL players who don't know anything on how the front office works. 

Good conversation imo.

679903[/snapback]

This is a much fairer and IMO a much more accurate look at the Bills' draft results this weekend. I think Whitner would have been gone before 15 and that the Giants who needed DL would have taken McCargo at 32 if he had been available. The Bills did the right thing and built up the middle of defense that was fractured in the middle last season and was further weakened by free agency.

Go Sabres!!!!

Pat Kirwan is the only football guy on the radio worth listening too (and it's too bad he's on during the day). I listened to Sirius with he and Gil Brandt the whole time the draft was on with ESPN on mute. Much, much better.

Ashton Youboty was interviewed by Pat Kirwan.

Hrm 2 former teammates in college on the same NFL team.  I like that.  Team Chemistry is a must.

679935[/snapback]

I am hoping that the OSU guys will push each other now that they are rookies in the NFL. Hopefully NC and TA will also take them under their wings because they are Buckeyes as well.

It seems he correctly evaluated the Bills' draft based upon their scheme and needs within the division. The "experts" who have given the Bills low grades did so based upon players they could/should have picked based on relative talent. However, the Bills' rankings were based upon who fits best in Jauron's system, given the talent.

He says that when Whitner makes a play on a NE TE or slot WR it will all be forgotten.

679903[/snapback]

That's the truth. I like what he said there.

it will be funny to watch and listen to some of these pigs (ESPN losers) fall all overthemselves to retract thier comments when these players come out and start puncing people in the mouth and the Bills D is ranked in the top 5 again.

it will be funny to watch and listen to some of these pigs (ESPN losers) fall all overthemselves to retract thier comments when these players come out and start puncing people in the mouth and the Bills D is ranked in the top 5 again.

680222[/snapback]

They won't retract their comments.

If anyone views the opinions of the draft experts on ANY show as something more than entertainment, then they are sadly mistaken. Television and radio are now nothing more than a means to entertain. Very little insight and knowledge comes from either media.

It's like someone else stated. They guys come put with predictions in January or even earlier. After combines, Pro days, make some small adjustments, but can't change too much else in the future no one would buy their early season magazines. so they leave their predictions intact, but if teams don't follow their script they get ripped as it would make them look bad.

I also have never seen any kind of a draft (for obvious reasons) list that states if Leinart doesn't go by say # 5, then this will happen instead. As was mentioned Oakland kind of messed things up by taking someone unexpected. That caused the Bills to re-evaluate any trades as they would have to worry if the person they wanted would still be there. I'm sure if they traded down they had a couple of options incase someone gets picked, but at that point, to many scenerios could have everyone they were targeting gone. Supposedly Detroit was going to take the guy we took. Was that true, who knows, but DJ coming from Detroit likely had a pretty good idea wha ttheir interests were.

Kirwan had Ko Simpson, our 4th Round pick, going to Pittsburgh with the last pick in Round 1. He loves our Safety picks and also mentioned McCargo as a player with a 1st Round grade and an excellent player.

Not everyone thinks we're idiots, especially football people like Kirwan who was a long time NFL scout and ran drafts for the Jets. He knows how to break down film and evaluate talent.

Why don't the uninformed lemmings listen to people like this, instead of Mort.. :lol:

Kirwan gave Whitner, McCargo and Ko Simpson 1st Round grades and Youboty a 2nd Round grade.

Remind me where we drafted these guys ?

Looking back at the draft grades...read what Kiper says...We drafted GOOD players who will help us now...but we drafted them too early...What the hell is that? So we drafted GOOD players who will help us...Sounds like a good draft to me.

Some people find Kirwan to be pompous, and he certainly does not lack confidence in his opinions. I, however, do enjoy listening to his analysis on Sirius and find him to be very insightful. Yesterday afternoon, he specifically called out those who give "draft grades" the day after a draft as ludicrous. Yes, he had his own draft board, and yes, he thought the Bills should take Bunkley, but that did not cloud his ability to suggest that Buffalo made solid picks that could very well turn out to be key contributors.

Kirwan says you draft to beat the guys in your division. Whitner is a guy who will help against the Patriots passing attack. They never beat us by running the ball it is always through the air.

yes Kirwan is arrogant but he never fails to look at something from all angles which most sports talk guys fail to do.

Kirwan says you draft to beat the guys in your division.  Whitner is a guy who will help against the Patriots passing attack.  They never beat us by running the ball it is always through the air.

yes Kirwan is arrogant but he never fails to look at something from all angles which most sports talk guys fail to do.

681116[/snapback]

No reminders needed here... :P

But The Pats have pretty much done what they wanted to do on Offense vs. The Bills during their run...If they came in wanting to Pass, they Passed...If they wanted to mix the Run in a bit, they Ran...I think it was the 2nd Half of the Game at NE Dillon had a couple nice Runs against Our D...

They have done what they wanted to do...But no question Brady usually carves the Bills Defense up like a Thanksgiving Turkey... :lol: