Fred Matua

He has huge bust potential, but at this point it's more than worth it for whatever team takes him.

678633[/snapback]

I don't want him, he never impressed me in the games I saw him play & he did nothing in the Rose Bowl... but I remember him being pimped in here a few months ago to go to the Bills in the 1st.

I don't want him, he never impressed me in the games I saw him play & he did nothing in the Rose Bowl... but I remember him being pimped in here a few months ago to go to the Bills in the 1st.

678655[/snapback]

Positives: Has a thick lower body frame with long arms, large hands, big bubble, thick chest and good shoulder width to add more bulk...Has the balance and loose hips to make plays down the line and keeps his feet when operating in space...Possesses the strength to stack and control, but needs to play at a low pad level to be effective there...Has the lateral range to string plays out and uses his hands and feet well to get past blockers on the bull rush...Can jolt, torque and toss blockers in his attempt to collapse the pocket...

Good wrap-up tackler who has the stunt agility to play in a one- or two-gap system...When he is active with his hands, he is capable of separating and getting leverage to control...Shows strength when tackling and can stunt and twist with good quickness.

Negatives: Will throttle down when not involved in the play...Seems to lack urgency and aggression in his play...When he gets too high in his stance, he does not use leverage, especially vs. double teams...Needs to develop a better feel for block pressure...Can slant and penetrate, but needs to show more effort in his pursuit...Sometimes does not get moving until he can locate the ball, which hinders his ability to react quickly...Generally stays on his feet, but can be cut by good low blocks...Lack of urgency in his play late in games might be due to stamina issues...Despite his strength, he is more of a push rusher than who that will attack with force.

Wright has a wide frame with very thick thighs and calves, wide waist and hips, broad shoulders, long arms, large hands and above average balance and flexibility. He shows good quickness coming out of his stance to gain leverage and shows the redirection agility to chase plays down along the perimeter.

Wright has good field vision, but lacks consistency in reading and diagnosing plays. He can anchor and squeeze at the point, but needs to show a better feel for block pressure. He has the strength to stand up offensive guards, hold ground and stuff at the point of attack, but needs to do this more often, as he does take a few plays off. He needs to develop a better work ethic, as he seems to lose stamina late in the games and during the last two seasons lacked the aggressiveness he showed earlier in his career.

Wright can play the one- or two-gap system because of his ability to use his hands and feet to get past blockers, but might be more productive in a three-technique alignment at the next level. He has the loose hips to slant and quickness to penetrate, and when he stays low in his pads can generate the strength to stack and control. He has the hand punch to jolt, torque and toss the blocker, but must do it with more consistency (see 2005 Rice, Kansas and Southern California games).

Wright is very effective defeating the cut block to continue his pursuit when chasing the ball in space. He is active moving down the line and has the short area burst to close in a hurry. When he keeps his pad level down and his hands active, he can avoid low traffic blocks. When he plays too high, he allows blockers to get into his chest and lock on.

Despite his raw power, Wright is not a physical striker as a tackler. He does wrap with effectiveness and when he gets a hand on an opponent, he will drag the runner down, but he makes too many arm tackles and the power runners can bounce off those hits. He generally stays on his feet, but when he gets upright, good cut blocks will neutralize him.

Wright's change of direction skills and short burst enable him to push the pocket and flush the quarterback out. He needs to generate good hand placement in order to grab, push and create movement off the line of scrimmage and penetrate. He is more of a push rusher, but has good initial movement and strength when working inside the guards and centers. He also makes adequate adjustments on the move.

Wright has all the physical tools you look for in a defensive tackle and his quickness has drawn comparisons to Minnesota's Kevin Williams. However, he lacks consistency and all but disappears for long stretches during the game (see 2005 Kansas, Colorado-Big Twelve Game and Rose Bowl vs. Southern California). He needs to develop more consistency in his play and has to learn to stay low in his pads, as blockers attack him regularly when he gets too erect in his stance. He will need to develop more pass rush moves for the next level. While the potential is there, he could just as easily flame out