Round 3 (#70) Selection: CB Ashton Youboty

SDS

As good a value as he may be, something tells me the Bills wouldn't have taken Youboty if Nate had been locked up to a long-term contract. The uncertainty about Clements' contract is too bad, because this team really could have used a good offensive lineman or two on the first day of the draft.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVE the pick

676761[/snapback]

Agreed. He looks very athletic, and by having the defensive backs to cover receivers for extended periods of time, that allows the linemen to get pressure and sack opposing qb's. If the opposing QB is impatient, a lot of picks could be seen in Buffalo this year.

Marv is just trying to compose a power house defense.

nm

676432[/snapback]

Over the years the Bills have used a lot of picks on DBs. And it has worked at that position. The secondary has not been so bad. But if I was running a team I think I would pick o-line at least once every year from second or third round. The Bills don't, and it shows

Good riddance to NC. After seeing Chambers eat him for lunch with fava beans and a nice Chianti, I hope Marv calls him and says: "7 mil not good enough for you? Well we just drafted your replacement." Click

Don't worry, there's always tomorrow and he is still there.

677087[/snapback]

Don't worry? Don't worry!! The Bills haven't had an offensive line since the Super Bowl years. This staff acquired some depth players for the line in free agency, but nobody you'd really say would be above average for a starter, or probably even average. The first day of the draft is over, and the Bills did nothing whatsoever today to address the offensive line.

Yes, there's always tomorrow, and the Bills could meaningfully address the offensive line if they wanted to. I just hope they've placed it at the top of their priority list. Thus far, I've seen little indication that they have.

If they're going to play a "Tampa cover 2" defense, they're going to need:

A fast, tough safety, and athletic corners who can tackle. I think if Huff had been there in the first round, they would have taken him instead of Whitier (sp?).

This pick is in line with that defensive philosophy.

This draft is starting to make a little more sense to me from that standpoint, but there were still enough talented D-linemen in the first round that would fit the new scheme. I think they're going to regret not taking a DL in round one, unless Marv and the defensive staff can work some magic in the lower rounds. During the previous Marv era, they always managed to find starting talent on the O and D lines in the lower rounds, so let's hope they can do so again.

As far as what the "draft experts" say, they're not any more accurate with their predictions than we are. Guys like Mel are good at selling themselves, but the truth is his picks aren't any better than ours.

The national media may be roasting the Bills on their picks, but that's happened before and the Bills have proved them wrong, and the senility remarks are getting irritating.

Wow, we sure like Ohio State DBs......is this guy good? Anyone?

676440[/snapback]

Are you kidding! :)

Both Antoine and Nate helped build the #2 defense in the NFL. Winfield actually played in that was ranked #1 overall!

You can't go wrong with Buckeye defensive backs.

Are you kidding!    :)

Both Antoine and Nate helped build the #2 defense in the NFL.  Winfield actually played in that was ranked #1 overall! 

You can't go wrong with Buckeye defensive backs.

677166[/snapback]

I know, I know!!! I'm just asking about the new guy!!! lol I think we should take an OSU DB every year based on how they've worked out over the past several years, I just hadn't ever herad of this Youboty guy.....but thankfully many of you have, and now I know that he's a pretty solid pick :devil:

So we pretty much traded Travis Henry for the rights to Ashton Youboty I'll take it. :)

Honestly in an ideal situation we'd re-sign nate and let Youboty develop and then challenge Mcgee for a starting spot. I still think Terrence would be best served as a nickle back.