(OT) illigal alien BS

ch19079

Oakland halts DUI checkpoints after Hispanic leaders complain

KESQ ^ | 9/26/2004

Posted on 09/26/2004 3:12:24 PM PDT by 4.1O dana super trac pak

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1227755/posts

Oakland, Calif. - The Oakland Police Department has halted its use of D-U-I checkpoints after the city's Hispanic leaders complained that the roadblocks were ensnaring too many illegal immigrants.

D-U-I checkpoints allow police officers to demand drivers' licenses and proof of insurance. City leaders agree the roadblocks are an effective way to get drunken drivers off the streets.

But Hispanic community leaders and City Council President Ignacio De La Fuente complained that the checkpoints were making life miserable for illegal immigrants who aren't licensed to drive but otherwise obey the law.

Police Chief Richard Word has ordered a month-long moratorium on the checkpoints while the department drafts new guidelines.

But City Councilmember Larry Reid says stopping D-U-I checkpoints threatens public safety.

i just hate to be discriminatory twords an ILLIGAL alien, but last time i checked, THERE BREAKING THE LAW. i know there not murderers or terrorists or drug dealers but its still illigal. i wonder if a drug dealer could sue the police for all the drug stings since they ensnaring to many drug dealers.

sounds to me they want to keep the Illigal aliens quiet, since they need that cheap labor. and would close ALOT of companies and raise alot of prices if they got minimum wadge insted of there 2 dollars a hour. so they say... yeah you can have a drivers license and in state tuition "for the children", just dont try to get a work visa, or god forbid becom a US citizen and gain all the BASIC RIGHTS they deserve. they should be trying to get them to be here legaly, insted of fighting fo this BS. but maybe i got the definition of the word ILLIGAL wrong... who knows.

KESQ ^ | 9/26/2004

Oakland, Calif. - The Oakland Police Department has halted its use of D-U-I checkpoints after the city's Hispanic leaders complained that the roadblocks were ensnaring too many illegal immigrants.

D-U-I checkpoints allow police officers to demand drivers' licenses and proof of insurance. City leaders agree the roadblocks are an effective way to get drunken drivers off the streets.

But Hispanic community leaders and City Council President Ignacio De La Fuente complained that the checkpoints were making life miserable for illegal immigrants who aren't licensed to drive but otherwise obey the law.

Police Chief Richard Word has ordered a month-long moratorium on the checkpoints while the department drafts new guidelines.

But City Councilmember Larry Reid says stopping D-U-I checkpoints threatens public safety.

i just hate to be discriminatory twords an ILLIGAL alien, but last time i checked, THERE BREAKING THE LAW. i know there not murderers or terrorists or drug dealers but its still illigal.  i wonder if a drug dealer could sue the police for all the drug stings since they ensnaring to many drug dealers.

sounds to me they want to keep the Illigal aliens quiet, since they need that cheap labor. and would close ALOT of companies and raise alot of prices if they got minimum wadge insted of there 2 dollars a hour. so they say... yeah you can have a drivers license and in state tuition "for the children", just dont try to get a work visa, or god forbid becom a US citizen and gain all the BASIC RIGHTS they deserve. they should be trying to get them to be here legaly, insted of fighting fo this BS. but maybe i got the definition of the word ILLIGAL wrong... who knows.

50508[/snapback]

How DARE you call them illegals? They're "undocumented workers" now, remember?

:devil::D

This is one reason I favor a national sales tax. Let 'em in, they'll still pay like the rest of us.

If they're not US citizens, visitors with the proper credentials, or lawfully admitted permanent residents, then WHO CARES?!!  Come on now:  laws that are unfair to illegal immigrants?!!  How stupid.

One question, though:  what IS the definition of "illigal"?

50514[/snapback]

it depends on what your definition of IS is. :devil:

can you believe people whining about the police busting ILLEGAL aliens who don't have drivers licenses or insurance? can you believe that there are people out there who think that some people should be exempt from these laws?

THIS is what happens when political correctness runs amok.

Please do not pick on my undocumented brethren. It is so very typical of your alleged blue collar East Coast attitude. What you fail to realize is that 90% of Oakland's population is comprised of undocumented immigrants, so the random testing of drivers will undoubtedly lead to finding more of my undocumented brethren in accordance with the "shooting fish in a barrel" theory.

Meanwhile...leave my people alone. Unless YOU want to go to California and pick strawberries.

(Oh, wait. I'm not Mexican. Nevermind.)

One of these illegals nearly killed my Mother in a traffic accident in July. He ran a red light and plowed into her. She'll probably have to get knee replacement and has several broken ribs as a result. The guy was driving his brother's truck, had no license, gave police false information, and I suspect was an illegal immigrant. How the police allowed him to leave the scene of the accident I'll never understand. The brother's insurance company is now trying to deny my Mom's claim because they claim the guy that hit her had stolen his brother's truck. What I would like to see is where is the police report reporting it stolen. I guess from now on if anyone gets in an accident with my vehicle I'll just say that they stole it.

KESQ ^ | 9/26/2004

i just hate to be discriminatory twords an ILLIGAL alien, but last time i checked, THERE BREAKING THE LAW. i know there not murderers or terrorists or drug dealers but its still illigal.  i wonder if a drug dealer could sue the police for all the drug stings since they ensnaring to many drug dealers.

50508[/snapback]

So let's see if I've got this straight:

A law enforcement organization has stopped a law enforcement practice because it's causing too much trouble for a demographic that's breaking the law?

:wub::wub::doh::doh::P

Sanity reigns:

http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,14...2432116,00.html

Of course, the typical appeasement-minded "but" appears at the bottom of the article where "being sensitive to the community" comes into play.

50643[/snapback]

Under the new guidelines, Oakland police will notify the public of the general area of the checkpoint, and set it up after the evening rush-hour commute. In addition, the roadblocks will be rotated throughout the city, Word said.

"To do more than that would defeat the purpose of the checkpoints," Word said. "But we also need to be sensitive to the community."

its just so stupid, its funny. its one of those things you read about as a joke, then realize that its not made up. and you get pissed.

I read this yesterday and it made my blood boil. Sorry, but they have no right to be driving here to begin with. My buddy got hit by and illegal immigrant a few years ago. Totally the other guys fault. My friend was lucky he wasn't killed. His car was totaled. Of course the other driver had no insurance, no money to pay for a new car. It's great that these roadblocks pick up on these people as an added bonus. But, that's California politics for you to rather Bay Area politics. I'd like to see how Mr. de la Fuente feels when some illegal immigrant from El Salvador with no license, no insurance etc. rams his Mercedes and seriously hurts a passenger in his car.

------------------------------

Go Bills

KESQ ^ | 9/26/2004

Common sense returns

http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,14...2432116,00.html

In my area the police are always doing the DUI thing - they snag a few violators and many more, uninsured, unlicensed drives and keep the cars -

I sometimes wonder what happens to the cars.

I also carry the maximum insurance I can - beacsue of the uninsured fools

The Mexican truck drivers we get at work are even scarier. They are driving 44' to 53' foot rigs and don't speak passable English - who is reading the signs to them ?

I wonder what our local law enforcement would do if we told them no more DUI checkpoints after bills games.

51779[/snapback]

I was just about to point that out! DUI checkpoints are not racially or culturally motivated! ;)