(ot) Sad night in Montreal...

Greg de'Ville

...there came a point late in the game with the Marlins well in front (won 9-1) that fans started throwing baseballs, bottles, cans and other debris on the field. Umps called the teams off the field and had to threaten forfeit for them to stop.

Was sad also how that franchise went belly up and how MLB treated that team the past few years, making them play 20-some odd games a year in Puerto Rico. There were some good Expo teams (especially early 80s) and some fine ballplayers (like Pedro Martinez and Vlad Guerrero); unfortunately, they could never fiscally keep those core players together. A lot of talented players came and went, so there was never any sense of continuity.

Olympic Stadium, from what I heard, was a dump. Old Parc Jarry, it predecessor, had some character if not seating capacity--the Expos didn't win much early on but Le Grand Orange provided excitement.

Dunno if D.C. will embrace baseball after 33 years. Plans call for a $13 million renovation for RFK until a new stadium is built nearby along the Anacostia in 2007 or 2008. I thought Northern Virginia would land the Expos but it didn't pan out.

...there came a point late in the game with the Marlins well in front (won 9-1) that fans started throwing baseballs, bottles, cans and other debris on the field.  Umps called the teams off the field and had to threaten forfeit for them to stop.

Was sad also how that franchise went belly up and how MLB treated that team the past few years, making them play 20-some odd games a year in Puerto Rico.  There were some good Expo teams (especially early 80s) and some fine ballplayers (like Pedro Martinez and Vlad Guerrero); unfortunately, they could never fiscally keep those core players together.  A lot of talented players came and went, so there was never any sense of continuity.

Olympic Stadium, from what I heard, was a dump.  Old Parc Jarry, it predecessor, had some character if not seating capacity--the Expos didn't win much early on but Le Grand Orange provided excitement.

Dunno if D.C. will embrace baseball after 33 years.  Plans call for a $13 million renovation for RFK until a new stadium is built nearby along the Anacostia in 2007 or 2008.  I thought Northern Virginia would land the Expos but it didn't pan out.

50302[/snapback]

About time, they never should have had a team in the first place!

About time, they never should have had a team in the first place!

50333[/snapback]

Actually baseball very much belongs in Montreal (imo) the shame of mlb and various business interests sabotaged a franchise that as with many American teams needed a new stadium in a much more accessible part of Montreal to the people. Montreal has as rich a history in baseball as any North American city and arguably was part of changing the face of baseball forever when Branch Ricky owner of the Brooklyn Dodgers signed Jackie Robinson baseballs first black man and as a test move Jackie played for the Montreal Royals. Do take a look at the link below, it is a sad day in Montreal and for baseball a very unique and special place was lost. One only read and listen of the times spent in the city by Tommy Lasorda, Sparky Anderson, Jackie Robinson, Rusty Staub,( Le Grande orange) Gary Carter, a very corrupt and poor ownership is responsible for baseball leaving Montreal, the pictures of the last few years are examples of a populace tired of being cheated and lied to, not a populace not interested in baseball.

Its great the baseball is back in Washington, but baseball could have been a great success in Montreal also, it was sabotaged.

Jackie Robinson

This is a perfect example of how MLB has failed.  At least instead of folding, they were able to move to a new city.

50369[/snapback]

Not to argue but baseball needed not to have left Montreal it was a corrupt business interests that destroyed baseball as a viable entertainment option. Its sad because, soon baseball will be having a true world series where nations will be competing against each other fans are going to see more how the game is enjoyed in other nations in most unique and different ways than in North America, in many places the game is a passion a nine inning celebration of drums and singing and fan participation much different than what we normally see. Montreal because of its most unique culture should have played a large part in this, the ball park of Montreal were wonderful places to see a game full of singing anc cheering people when they were treated with respect and MLB encouraged it rather the facilitate a means to destroy it.

All two Expos "fans" were really upset. If a baseball teams leaves Montreal and there's no one there to see it, does anyone care? Expos have been a joke for the last 9 years and if they didn't win, they were not supported for the 25 years before that. Of course, MLB failed in Washington twice so what makes MLB think it will work the 3rd time?

All two Expos "fans" were really upset. If a baseball teams leaves Montreal and there's no one there to see it, does anyone care? Expos have been a joke for the last 9 years and if they didn't win, they were not supported for the 25 years before that. Of course, MLB failed in Washington twice so what makes MLB think it will work the 3rd time?

50375[/snapback]

Montreal had very good attendance up until 1994 and the strike . Montreal had somewhat lower attendance mostly because of the import of hockeys Montreal Canadians who held front page much the earlier part of baseball season. The strike of 94 and then Jeffery Loria gutting the team, placing road blocks such that land deals were not able to be agreed upon for needed new stadium and it was in consort with Mlb and Loris who ended up as prize owner of Florida Marlins to this day these dealings in litigation. This situation was similar in nature of Buffalo Sabre fans very angry at a Regis and staying away from games, hardly are Buffalo fans not interested in hockey they were fed up being screwed The same held true in Montreal.

I get it not many care, but it is sad and it is wrong.

This is a very sad night for baseball. They leave Quebec where baseball was once a very popular sport , now losing ground everyday to football and soccer to go back to DC, an area where they have yet a team , so in terms of business baseball has basically lost a market. Tonight the people of Montréal is sad but they can be proud that they never accepted what too many citizens and taxpayers did in other towns: to pay with tax money for a private stadium. Even if a downtown stadium that may have saved the expos... This is gonna be a very long winter in Montréal with the NHL probably cancelling the whole season... at least the Alouettes are kicking butts! Professional baseball does not speak french anymore, Adieu base sur balles, coup de circuits et grands chelems!

MLB did everything in their power to make sure no one cared about the Expos.  They killed a good franchise.  Considering how Buffalo lost the NBA Braves, I would think people here would have some sympathy.

PTR

50380[/snapback]

Excellent point.

Consult me to talk about dealing with a lost franchise. :devil:

Mike

Au Revoir Les Expos.

I lived my pre-teens years in Montreal in the '70s when baseball was king during the summer. Warren Cromartie, Ellis Valentine, Andre 'Hawk' Dawson, Ron Leflore, Steve Rogers, Gary Carter. There were some very good teams back in the day.

Listening to Dave and Duke on the radio. Good times.

Back when I did watch baseball, Montreal was the team I rooted for. Man, did they have players: Tim Raines, Andre Dawson, Ron LeFlore, Andres Galaragga, Larry Walker, Moises Alou, Delino DeShields, Marquis Grissom, Pedro Martinez, and a lot more. When the strike hit in '94 with the Expos having the best record in MLB, I took that as my cue to give up MLB. Well, that and the crappy treatment the fans got by the players and management.

Think of the all-star team you could compile of former Expos who reached greater heights elsewhere.

C - Gary Carter

1B - Andres Galarraga

2B - Delino DeShields

SS - Orlando Cabrera

3B -

OF - Larry Walker

OF - Marquis Grissom

OF - Vladimir Guerrero

Bench - Moises Alou, Milton Bradley, Cliff Floyd, Rondell White, Mark Grudzielanek

SP - Pedro Martinez

SP - Randy Johnson

SP - Javier Vazquez

SP - Bartolo Colon

SP - Carl Pavano

RP - John Wetteland

RP - Ugueth Urbina

Can't really think of a third baseman offhand, but with that lineup (and pitching staff) does it matter? Remember, this isn't an all-time Expo team. This is a team of the Ones That Got Away. And many of them (by no means all) got away because the Expos just couldn't afford them.

Dunno if D.C. will embrace baseball after 33 years. 

50302[/snapback]

Let me assure you, as someone with his a$$ parked right in downtown, this city will embrace the Expos/Senators/Grays/Monuments/etc.

What they will embrace more, like the Wizards/Bullets and the Caps, however, are the road teams. This area is so transient, it took me 10 years to find someone actually from here...whatever...when the Cubs come, RFK will sound like Wrigley. When the Cards come, you'll think there's a Bud brewery nearby. When the Mets come, you'll think you're at Shi% Stadium, I mean Shea Stadium. God help us when the crass Philly fans hop on I-95 south...

Think of the all-star team you could compile of former Expos who reached greater heights elsewhere.

C - Gary Carter

1B - Andres Galarraga

2B - Delino DeShields

SS - Orlando Cabrera

3B -

OF - Larry Walker

OF - Marquis Grissom

OF - Vladimir Guerrero

Bench - Moises Alou, Milton Bradley, Cliff Floyd, Rondell White, Mark Grudzielanek

SP - Pedro Martinez

SP - Randy Johnson

SP - Javier Vazquez

SP - Bartolo Colon

SP - Carl Pavano

RP - John Wetteland

RP - Ugueth Urbina

Can't really think of a third baseman offhand, but with that lineup (and pitching staff) does it matter? Remember, this isn't an all-time Expo team. This is a team of the Ones That Got Away. And many of them (by no means all) got away because the Expos just couldn't afford them.

50546[/snapback]

[/quote The reason they could not afford them is no one went to the games!