Round 1 (#8): Selection: S Donte Whitner

SDS

I'm at a loss. I waited till i got home from work to listen to any news and this is what I get? Did anyone in the football watching planet besides levy have this guy in mind?

676067[/snapback]

Personally i don't think to many people besides Mayock had him slotted in the #8 spot. I think he could be a good pick up, but i'm not really sure if this is where i would've gone with the first round pick. That includes trading down, or the player that i would have drafted. If we had traded down, would the impact of drafting him be so hard felt, no. As a matter of fact i probably would've embraced the pick and the pick after. If we had traded down, we could have gotten McCargo for free.

Dont they know we need a freakin stud lineman. Drafts are all ??? anyways, but taking a Safety #1 is beyond puzzling to me.

Another joke come draft day.  :o

676251[/snapback]

There are only 9 picks left before the Bills 3rd round selection. Maybe they get Max Jean-Gilles?

pretty complete analysis of strengths thru nfl.com

Whitner is a junior who came out early for the NFL draft and is one of the better safeties available. Is a very good athlete with the natural explosiveness and playing speed to fly to the ball to make plays from sideline to sideline. Plays with the attacking, aggressive style that is hard to find, and it enables him to consistently play bigger than his size. Flies up in run support. On passes in front of him, will bend knees, get low and drive up into the ball carrier to make the hard hit. Is a versatile safety that has experience lining up in a variety of different alignments, which will offer his team the opportunity to move him around and use a variety of different defenses without having to substitute personnel. Overall, Whitner is probably going to slip lower in the draft than his production warrants, but it is due to his lack of size. He is going to be a good all-around starting safety in the NFL who consistently makes plays all over the field, against the run and the pass. Additionally, he will be a very good special teams player in the NFL.

Guest BackInDaDay
THE BILLS GOT A FOOTBALL PLAYER.

Don't know if we could've said that about Bunkley, Ngata, Cutler, Leinart, or anyone else at that spot except maybe Ernie Sims.

I'll say it again.  THIS KID IS A FOOTBALL PLAYER.  He'll be all over the field next year making plays, and he'll play above his ability, like he's always done.  Fug it.  I was pissed they took him at the 8 spot, but this team needs football players NOW.  I'll take this pick.

674913[/snapback]

That's what it's all about, Coach T. :lol:

Same thing goes for our other 2 juniors, especially the CB.

The fact of the matter is that i hope this kid works out and i am cheering for him all the way. Maybe it is just because i am in such a desperate state of mind that you could feed me dog sh*t and i would think it was steak. But i think if Marv thinks this kid will work out, more power to him and Whitner as well.

Is he going to be good or not? I don't know, i am neither a judge nor jury. Nor am i father time, as that is the only thing that will purely be able to tell the truth about all of our draft picks.

What kind of a moron thinks that the OWNER made the pick?  Unreal.

674631[/snapback]

What kind of morons think that NFL teams and scouts actually care how players are ranked by Kiper and other outlets for garnering commentary on this event. Don't you think the Bills brass knows what they are doing? I - for one, have confidence in the organization and won't second guess a solid pick. If they got "their guy" and it wasn't the value that most people would like to see - too bad. If he's another Coy Wire I will be disappointed, another Henry Jones - I will take it and give them a passing grade with flying colors.

Maybe it is just because i am in such a desperate state of mind that you could feed me dog sh*t and i would think it was steak.

677027[/snapback]

This is one of the funniest things I've read on these boards. You have more company than you may realize, though the others aren't necessarily as honest with themselves as you are.

oh why oh why did oakland take huff??????????????????? totally killed us

677179[/snapback]

What makes you think we would have taken Huff anyway? Huff hits like a tough CB(which is what he is drafted as).

Marv got his guy.

oh why oh why did oakland take huff??????????????????? totally killed us

677179[/snapback]

Good point. If Oakland took, say, Cutler, the Bills would have been faced with either Whitner or Huff. At that point, they could trade down, knowing that if Detroit did take a safety, it would likely have taken Huff.

Good point.  If Oakland took, say, Cutler, the Bills would have been faced with either Whitner or Huff.  At that point, they could trade down, knowing that if Detroit did take a safety, it would likely have taken Huff.

677582[/snapback]

The only problem with this was that Detriot was dialed into Ernie Sims.

Everyone keeps talking about the fact that he was picked too early. First of all, you have to have interest from another team in order to trade that pick away, and as it shook out, I don't think they did.

Based on that, it filled a hole with the best player available on their chart.

Everyone keeps talking about the fact that he was picked too early. First of all, you have to have interest from another team in order to trade that pick away, and as it shook out, I don't think they did.

Yeah, none of the teams below us had any real interest in Leinart or Cutler. :)

Yeah, none of the teams below us had any real interest in Leinart or Cutler.  :)

678408[/snapback]

Come on, man.... the fact that both of those QBs were available made it that much less pressing for anyone to trade down that far, because it was that much more likely that at least one would have been available later. Several commentators have said that, yet it does not appear to sink in.

Come on, man.... the fact that both of those QBs were available made it that much less pressing for anyone to trade down that far, because it was that much more likely that at least one would have been available later. Several commentators have said that, yet it does not appear to sink in.

678417[/snapback]

You are of course aware that Denver traded up to get Cutler? The picks they gave to St. Louis to move to #11, they would have been willing to give to us to move to #8. Plus there had to have been teams eager to move ahead of Arizona to take Leinart.