Any Mark Kelso Memories?

ps. Was he the only person in the history of the NFL to wear the puffy helmet?

No. At about the same time period, an OL guy for the 9ers wore one, too. Perhaps others, but those are/were the only 2 I know of.

Sunday night Raiders game several years ago.  Mark Kelso hit some receiver so hard that his helmet fell apart.  Thinking it was the football, I was yelling... jump on the ball, jump on the ball!  That was funny!  :P

671257[/snapback]

FYI, the Great Gazoo retired after the '93 season, 13 years ago. We are getting old....

Sunday night Raiders game several years ago.  Mark Kelso hit some receiver so hard that his helmet fell apart.  Thinking it was the football, I was yelling... jump on the ball, jump on the ball!  That was funny!  :P

671257[/snapback]

OMG! Did he keep playing after that tragedy?!?!?!

Back when the Bills were making a habit to go to Super Bowls, I sent a football trading card to every guy on any of those 4 teams, who had a card, to get it autographed. I sent a short, polite note with each one, a self addressed stamped envelope for the player to return it, as well as an extra card, for the player to keep for themselves.

You know what? Every player returned their card, within a month or two (Marv Levy, a coach, returned his within 3 days, with a nice personalized note on cool Bills Super Bowl stationary), except for Bruce Smith (got that one a year later!), and some (Jim Kelly, James Lofton, Andre Reed) sent tons of other cool stuff back with their card.

There were only two players, out of about 40, who never returned the cards. One was Keith McKellar, and the other Mark Kelso. Ironically, McKellar signed with the Broncos after being released by the Bills, so I sent a card to him in Denver. I got that one back right away.

Mark Kelso however, after three attempts, never returned anything. Because of that, Mark Kelso is my all-time least favortie Buffalo Bill...he just doesn't care about his legions of fans! :lol: Just kidding of course...more likely, he never got any fan mail, and didn't realize he had to be on the lookout for any!

Post-script:

I actually purchased a card signed by Kelso (complete with bible verse, instead of the traditional jersey number), off of Ebay a few years ago, for 1.99! I should check that bible verse, and see if it references "worshipping false gods" or something.... :lol:

pps- I have obtained hundreds of Buffalo Bills autographed cards over the years via the mail (about 225 different players), and Mark Kelso is the only one who never returned a card! Imagine that! I sent one to Bryce Paup when he first signed with the Bills, and got it back 3 years later, when he signed with Jacksonville! On the card, he is wearing a Packers uniform! Maybe that Kelso card is still on the way! :P

I can not remember if it was the '89 or '90 season, but there was a game when the Bills played the Oilers in Houston.

The Oilers attempted a FG, which was blocked by the Bills and recovered by Kelso.

He then returned the ball 60 some-odd yards back for a touchdown.

I think the Bills won this game. Does anyone else remember this game?

I fondly remember what a defensive liability he was. Whether lined up 40 yards downfield, or was simply on the field, he put the Bills in a permanent man-down situation.

I also remember how he was run over by the KC trioka, Barry Foster, and a guy named O.J.

OK I'm going to get badly flamed for this, but:

Vastly overrated IMO. The guy always lined up 40 yards behind the line of scrimmage - maybe that was just part of the scheme, but I think it was partially due to his limitations. The other Raider game I remember was the 1993 freezing playoff game when Tim Brown took a ~60 yard pass and just left Kelso out of his jock (Paul McGuire said "Kelso had no chance to make the play" even though he was RIGHT THERE). Fortunately Kelly hooked up with Billy Brooks for a 2nd time to win the game.

Anyway, sorry to be an ass - I'm sure he's a great guy.

Back when the Bills were making a habit to go to Super Bowls, I sent a football trading card to every guy on any of those 4 teams, who had a card, to get it autographed.  I sent a short, polite note with each one, a self addressed stamped envelope for the player to return it, as well as an extra card, for the player to keep for themselves. 

671343[/snapback]

Just curious - did/do you send them c/o the Bills - or somehow do you get actual addresses for players?

Back when the Bills were making a habit to go to Super Bowls, I sent a football trading card to every guy on any of those 4 teams, who had a card, to get it autographed.  I sent a short, polite note with each one, a self addressed stamped envelope for the player to return it, as well as an extra card, for the player to keep for themselves. 

You know what?  Every player returned their card, within a month or two (Marv Levy, a coach, returned his within 3 days, with a nice personalized note on cool Bills Super Bowl stationary), except for Bruce Smith (got that one a year later!), and some (Jim Kelly, James Lofton, Andre Reed) sent tons of other cool stuff back with their card. 

There were only two players, out of about 40, who never returned the cards.  One was Keith McKellar, and the other Mark Kelso.  Ironically, McKellar signed with the Broncos after being released by the Bills, so I sent a card to him in Denver.  I got that one back right away. 

Mark Kelso however, after three attempts, never returned anything.  Because of that, Mark Kelso is my all-time least favortie Buffalo Bill...he just doesn't care about his legions of fans!  :P  Just kidding of course...more likely, he never got any fan mail, and didn't realize he had to be on the lookout for any!

Post-script:

I actually purchased a card signed by Kelso (complete with bible verse, instead of the traditional jersey number), off of Ebay a few years ago, for 1.99!  I should check that bible verse, and see if it references "worshipping false gods" or something.... :lol:

pps- I have obtained hundreds of Buffalo Bills autographed cards over the years via the mail (about 225 different players), and Mark Kelso is the only one who never returned a card!  Imagine that!  I sent one to Bryce Paup when he first signed with the Bills, and got it back 3 years later, when he signed with Jacksonville!  On the card, he is wearing a Packers uniform!  Maybe that Kelso card is still on the way! :D

671343[/snapback]

This type of thing would definitely put a player on my sh*t list.

Kudos to you though fine sir for thinking of such a great idea.

How much do you think the collection is worth now?

Anyone?

ps. Was he the only person in the history of the NFL to wear the puffy helmet?

671255[/snapback]

Good memory of Deion Sanders rookie year when we played the Falcons...Deion was allowed to play offense for the first time and went on a go route...Kelso arrived right when the ball did and he knocked Deion's feet over his head... Only time I ever remember him hitting anybody. He used to be a gentle tackler.

Also, always loved to watch Primetime when he got a pick to hear Berman say "Kelso, Kelso, Kelso" in that classic Berman way.

Just curious - did/do you send them c/o the Bills - or somehow do you get actual addresses for players?

671426[/snapback]

No, I just sent them to the players at 1 Bills Drive, c/o the Bills. Humourously, I told my tale to someone years ago, and they gave me an address to a school that Kelso was teaching at. I thought that might seem like harassment, or the very least, a little creepy, so I didn't send him anything there.

I still send cards off, and have had very good luck. Some guys, like Willis McGahee (you know the "superstars") take their time replying, and some of the superstar types might send you a stamped auto. The best time to send stuff is during training camp, or right at the end of the season. Get the rookies early, and they will respond with nice autos (not just squiggles), and quickly. Early on, they are thrilled to get fan mail!

Once a player reaches a certain status, it is much harder. Surprisingly Jim Kelly, Andre Reed and Thurman were all ultra generous, sending me back lots of stuff, autographed, that I did not ask for. Some of the stuff Kelly sent was stamped, but the card I sent him, I am fairly certain (small thumb print in the ink where he was holding it to sign) is the real deal...

Players are usually too busy with practices, film sessions, and trips to the ballet, to answer when the season is in full swing.

It is pretty fun, and really only costs you a few minutes, and two stamps....

When Jerry Butler still was the head of the Buffalo Bills Alumni relations, he was awesome about giving me addresses to older, retired players from the 60's, 70's and 80's. He never gave me home addresses, usually work addresses...or forwarded stuff from Orchard Park on my behalf. I managed to get an entire set of 1981 Topps Buffalo Bills cards (1980-81 Bills are my all-time favorites!) autographed with his help.

Unfortuanately, Butler was an early victim of the TD era (he went on to be a receiver coach for the Browns a couple seasons ago, under Butch Davis, not sure where he is now), and the Bills are not so accomodating in this area anymore.

It always made me sick to watch him make contact and get dragged five yards down the field before the opposing player was hit by someone else or stepped on Kelso's sternum and tripped. A few times this resulted in Kelso getting dragged in the endzone.

But he was one of those "good character guys" so who cares how he played.

This type of thing would definitely put a player on my sh*t list.

Kudos to you though fine sir for thinking of such a great idea. 

How much do you think the collection is worth now?

671436[/snapback]

It is pretty hard to say. To me it is priceless, but dollar wise, so many of these guys are "nobodys" to the average football fan (Flip Johnson, Scott Radicec, JD Williams and John Davis are "nobodys" who come to mind) so their signature would have little, if any value.

Guys like Kelly, Thomas, Lofton, Bruce and Reed carry some value, but all have signed so many items, complete with certificates of "authenticity" (a joke if you ask me!), mine, without the COA would carry less value. It is just kind of fun to collect them.

Last season, I had to pay about $7.00 on Ebay, for two very rare, short printed cards of George Wilson (who?) so I could send them to get autographed through the mail. Although the guy is likely roster fodder, his status as a rostered Buffalo Bill player, makes his signature as valuable to me, as Thurman....what can I say, I am a little obsessive compulsive...

Back in the 80's, and late 70's, when I still lived in Buffalo, and had season tickets, I used to hang out in the player parking lots and get autos, and would even get cards and programs autographed by the visiting team. As I got older, and was not a (not so) cute kid anymore, I felt kind of silly doing this type thing, so the mail thing seemed a lot less intrusive. If the player wants to sign, he can, if not, so be it...no pressure on him...I have collected some pretty great autographed cards over the years. I assume that most of the autos are real (why the fug would someone like Flip Johnson need to have a rubber stamp of his signature?), I know a few are not.

I got all of the QB class of '83 guys through the mail. I am fairly certain, although I have no proof, that all are authentic, except for Dan Marino, which is stamped... I swear he is the only Dolphin player, who never played for the Bills, in my collection....I have lots of QB's, Montana, Young, Bradshaw (got that one in person), Steve Grogan, Favre, Jaworski, Ken Anderson, Bernie Kosar etc etc....my favorite non-Bill auto card is of Lions QB Greg Landry. He was the ultimate journeymen QB, his 1978 card is my favorite card of all time. It is just a great action photo of him, covered head to toe in mud, off balance, Bears defenders at his feet, right after slinging the ball. Very cool picture...my favorite NFL image, next to the classic photo of YA Tittle on his knees, helmet off, covered in mud, head bleeding, dejected after (another) championship game failure...jubulant Browns players walking off the field in the backround...

Jeez, I sound like a geek, don't I?