Opinions on Bills taking a QB at all

BobbyC81

Despite what some people on this board think, I can't see the Bills taking one of the top 3 who might be available at pick #8. If they surpisingly did take one of them, that sure wouldn't show much confidence in the Losman/Holcomb/Nall threesome.

So, after Leinart, Cutler and Young are gone, and currently only 8 picks in this draft, it really doesn't make sense to draft a QB. They added Nall in free agency. Although he was a lower round pick by Green Bay, his expereince, even just in pre-season games and practice, is more valuable than what a rookie could bring. They also have Ochs in NFL Europe gaing valuable experience.

They need to fill their real needs in this draft. Only ways I see a QB being drafted is that they do make a draft day trade or two and get more picks and/or they go with the best available player in the later rounds.

That still could be considered a wasted pick. I'd rather take a flyer on a small school unknown at OL, TE, DE, DB, FB, etc. than use it on another QB.

Despite what some people on this board think, I can't see the Bills taking one of the top 3 who might be available at pick #8.

671229[/snapback]

Well, let's not minimize all the opportunities for criticism that the last 3 years' drafts have provided us.

Vince will keep the tradition alive! :P

Despite what some people on this board think, I can't see the Bills taking one of the top 3 who might be available at pick #8.  If they surpisingly did take one of them, that sure wouldn't show much confidence in the Losman/Holcomb/Nall threesome.

So, after Leinart, Cutler and Young are gone, and currently only 8 picks in this draft, it really doesn't make sense to draft a QB. They added Nall in free agency. Although he was a lower round pick by Green Bay, his expereince, even just in pre-season games and practice, is more valuable than what a rookie could bring.  They also have Ochs in NFL Europe gaing valuable experience.

They need to fill their real needs in this draft.  Only ways I see a QB being drafted is that they do make a draft day trade or two and get more picks and/or they go with the best available player in the later rounds.

That still could be considered a wasted pick. I'd rather take a flyer on a small school unknown at OL, TE, DE, DB, FB, etc. than use it on another QB.

671229[/snapback]

Taking a QB with the #8 would set back team building by a year or more,

On the face of it, they would be paying a #8 slotted contract to a player who will sit on the bench and learn or tries to recreate the rookie year results of Ben RoboQB wth huge holes in the Bills line-up and without the Steelers juggernaut around this youngster.

Even worse, drafting a QB forces the Bills to either cut Nall (which costs an accelerated bonus for a player we just signed, cut Holcomb (Which also costs us this year's prorated bonus for him at no production this year from Holcomb for us) or cut JP (which costs us the biggest accelerated bonus hit and would amount to us cutting an running instead of trying to develop this fellow we paid a bunch for.

It ain't gonna happen and if it does simply ignore the Bills until 07 at best if not 08.

just think about it, anyone who wants a QB, even if you think you know a diamond in the rough in the later rounds that you think we have nothing to lose to take a chance on, who are we going to cut so he can play? losman? holcomb? nall? the answer is no one, therefore it is a wasted pick

I think if they were to cut a QB it would end up being Holcomb cause he has the least upside for the future.

JP could be cut if he is horrible in the pre-season

And Nall could be cut if he is no where near as good of a QB as Marv and Dick thought

I can see the season starting with JP (or Nall if he blows them away) and KH being cut or traded (most likely cut) cause Buffalo would ratehr go with youth at QB and KH could be a backup somewhere else rather then 3rd here

I think if they were to cut a QB it would end up being Holcomb cause he has the least upside for the future.

no way, and leave our roster with 2 inexperienced QB's? i dont think so, we need a veteran presence.

no way again, you think we would cut a 1st round pick after he's only started 8 games? Especially with the new regime, they are going to want to see what hes got.

And Nall could be cut if he is no where near as good of a QB as Marv and Dick thought

i wouldnt care if nall was cut, personally i dont think he's as good as everyone thinks he is, at least i feel theres no reason to believe he is that good, he was a low round pick who has no experience, everyone's analysis of him is based off talk from people in practices and the few snaps hes taken. However, i think if he were to be cut it wouldnt be until after the year anyways, we gave him a lot of money and im not sure how that would effect the salary cap if we just cut him now so thats the only reason i can think that we wouldnt cut him. Also if we think he can develop into a good QB why would we cut him now? doesnt make sense.

I can see the season starting with JP (or Nall if he blows them away) and KH being cut or traded (most likely cut) cause Buffalo would ratehr go with youth at QB and KH could be a backup somewhere else rather then 3rd here

671275[/snapback]

The pool of vet back-up qb's is pretty slim. Hard to think that KH would be tossed out.

Nall...GB let him leave for a song. And with Rogers a question mark, and Mr. I Love Myself vacillating.

Sink or swim, JP is it.

I actually think a qb in the first round may not be a bad idea

The DTs taken in the first round in past years havent been all that good and I don't think the bills like losman as a qb.

If we don't take one I'de like to see brodie croyle or Whitehurst in the 3rd or 4th round

I don't think its a good idea even in the late rounds. One ...there should be lots of talent in this draft in the late rounds for positions of critical need. Two...I don't think there are any qb's after the top three that would compete for a starting job and they would take very important time away from the three guys we have who are (at best) huge question marks. I think picking any quarterback this year would be counterproductive. Next year will be another story.

I actually think a qb in the first round may not be a bad idea

The DTs taken in the first round in past years havent been all that good and I don't think the bills like losman as a qb.

If we don't take one I'de like to see brodie croyle or Whitehurst in the 3rd or 4th round

671295[/snapback]

im just going to pretend like i never read this :P

so which QB from our roster are you cutting to make room for this day 2 pick?

671302[/snapback]

Why, either Holcomb or Nall! :P

OR the draftee ends up on the developmental squad until moving up in Week 17 or so, then goes to Europe next spring. Like I said, zero expectations for any Day 2 picks: depth is nice, anything better would be great.

just think about it, anyone who wants a QB, even if you think you know a diamond in the rough in the later rounds that you think we have nothing to lose to take a chance on, who are we going to cut so he can play? losman? holcomb? nall? the answer is no one, therefore it is a wasted pick

671252[/snapback]

I have a hard time picturing one of these guys being third string for us. For the sake of no distractions, the Bills may draft a late round QB and trade the last place finisher of the three-way battle for starting QB.

No....QB would not even be on my draft board if I were Marv unless it were a slash-type player I expected to play elsewhere for me.

I see no purpose in drafting someone like Whitehurst in the mid rounds and definitely no QB on day 1.

This draft should be used to address our other needs and we go into the season with the two young QBs and KH as 3rd string.

We let this year play out and if these guys stink so be it we will probably have a very high pick next year and be in line for a Brady Quinn if we decide Nall and Losman will not be our future.

I wouldn't expect to see them draft any quarterbacks in this draft. They won't draft one high, because they have too many other positions to fill holes at. (If Young is somehow there at 8; hello trade offers, Marv is listening.) And I don't see them grabbing one in the late rounds because realistically the guy would be practice squad fodder with the Bills already having 2 relatively young inexperienced quarterbacks and a veteran to back them up. They can get the practice squad guy in "the 8th round" as I expect there to be a few guys with potential that don't get drafted.

Drafting a quarterback at some point in the '07 draft would make a lot more sense to me than grabbing one this weekend. As they will most likely know whether they like (or hate) Losman and/or Nall and I would not be surprised to see one of them gone, or if Marv and Dick like what they see out of both then I'd expect Kelly to be gone. Either way, they will probably know who their qb is heading into '07 and will know who the backup is. It makes more sense to bring in a young "qb of the future" to be the 3rd stringer at that time or at least battle with this year's practice squad guy for that title.