The Wing Bowl

no one said it wasnt a legal hit and Im not whining

the announcers and the guys during intermission both stated the replay was shown over and over and you could hear the fans cheering on TV as Umberger was laying on the ice

its hockey which is a secondary sport. I could care less if the Flyers suck or not, the discussion wasnt about that

670713[/snapback]

Do the words, "Broad Street Bullies" hold any significance for you?... ;)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had this discussion last year.

Since the Sabres are about to go up 3-0 in their playoff series, I thought I'd bring back this little chestnut that ESPN.com sent a writer to.

I think this article just about sums up everything that can be said about that lower-than-homo sapiens species known as the Philly Sports Fan.

In one word, ick.

Mike

670653[/snapback]

Two things:

1. I think that counting chickens (or playoff wins) before they hatch is the Mortal Sin of sports fandom, second only to excessive gloating, the kind of thing that gets Cowboy, Yankees, and Pats fans consigned to Bolgia 8. This is, alas, the sin that too many Sawks fans have committed since 2004, thus sacrificing the grace they had gained from suffering at the hands of Yanks fans.. But I digress. To quote one of the great philosophers of TSW, DO NOT PROD THE BEAR.

2. I am from WNY (Niagara Falls, to be precise), and now live in Philly, and I think the idea of anyone from Buffalo hatin' on Philly is wrong on many counts. The cities share many characteristics (not least of which is an enormous inferiority complex vis-a-vis the other big cities of the East), and should actually understand each other quite well. Classless goons are everywhere, but that should not tar an entire city.

Go Bills! Go Sabres!

CLEAN HIT. It doesn't matter how many times they showed it or how loud Sabres fans cheered. They were cheering the hit, not the fact that the douchebag from the Flyers was skating with his head down and got hurt.

The garbage the Flyers pulled in game two was much worse than Campbell's hit in Game One. There's a big difference between tough hockey and dirty hockey. Flyers are a dirty team. Sabres were lucky that nobody was hurt in Game Two from the numerous cheap shots.

Face it, the Flyers are way too slow and way too stupid to beat the Sabres. They may win a game or two if they can suddenly get faster and smarter. With Fat Bastard as their coach, I seriously doubt it.

The garbage the Flyers pulled in game two was much worse than Campbell's hit in Game One. There's a big difference between tough hockey and dirty hockey. Flyers are a dirty team. Sabres were lucky that nobody was hurt in Game Two from the numerous cheap shots.

670778[/snapback]

That clear headed thought has been absent from this thread. Campbell made a clean hit that players dream about. Philly came out with one thing on their minds in game 2, and it wasn't winning a hockey game. The final score indicates that they were successful.

I was at the game, Section 325, row 4 seat 8

I had a good view of the entire hit. It was clean, the rookie on the flyers had his head down and looked up at the last minute to see Cambell hit him open ice. We all cheerede the hit and then the fights breaking out after. THE REPLAY WAS SHOWN ONCE AFTER HE WAS TAKEN OFF THE ICE! The fans actually applauded him as the trainers helped him off the ice like most respectable fans do.

I was also at the next game, Section 301, row 8, seat 15 and I must say the Cryers had so many cheap shots in that game (suprisingly more then the first game) and for the first 2 periods seem to only care about retaliation.

But if you wanna believe the Flyers broadcasters over the fans in attendance, go ahead, I'll believe my own eyes over what someguys on TV want to tell me to think

you live in Ohio dude....enough said

Sabres fans cheered while R.J. Umberger was practically unconscious on the ice while the hit was replayed over and over again on the big screen in Game 1. A tasteless act by the replay people and the fans....if that happened in Philly you would still be hearing about it

670661[/snapback]

IT WAS PLAYED ONLY ONCE on the Jumbotron...that was AFTER he left the ice...

Get it right Flyboy

And it happened in Buffalo....AND WERE STILL HEARING ABOUT IT!! Wah!! You can't take a hard clean hit....

I was at the game, Section 325, row 4 seat 8

I had a good view of the entire hit. It was clean, the rookie on the flyers had his head down and looked up at the last minute to see Cambell hit him open ice. We all cheerede the hit and then the fights breaking out after. THE REPLAY WAS SHOWN ONCE AFTER HE WAS TAKEN OFF THE ICE! The fans actually applauded him as the trainers helped him off the ice like most respectable fans do.

I was also at the next game, Section 301, row 8, seat 15 and I must say the Cryers had so many cheap shots in that game (suprisingly more then the first game) and for the first 2 periods seem to only care about retaliation.

But if you wanna believe the Flyers broadcasters over the fans in attendance, go ahead, I'll believe my own eyes over what someguys on TV want to tell me to think

670791[/snapback]

I don't believe you because you're not an tv talking head and it doesn't fit the perception I want to believe is correct. :P;)

What were the GPS coordinates of your seats?

....and the tard of the day is..........Max997! Good to see some new blood in contention for the title. I think we were all getting tired of awarding it to the same people each week.

This thread should be pinned.

I'm sure what REALLY frosts their nuts is that not only was it a SABRE who knocked a FLYER into next week (when the Flyers are supposed to be the big tough guys), but it was the Sabre blueliner you'd LEAST expect to make that kind of a hit. Guy looks like Napoleon Dynamite and he completely destroyed a Flyer. ;)

And as pointed out above, such whining from a city that cheered when Michael Irvin broke his neck -- not to mention a city that booed Mike Schmidt, Dr. J and Santa Claus -- has no business talking about class. To paraphrase Ken Hitchcock, Philly fans can !@#$ off and mind their own !@#$ing business...

We had this discussion last year.

Since the Sabres are about to go up 3-0 in their playoff series, I thought I'd bring back this little chestnut that ESPN.com sent a writer to.

I think this article just about sums up everything that can be said about that lower-than-homo sapiens species known as the Philly Sports Fan.

In one word, ick.

Mike

670653[/snapback]

Welcome to the Wing Bowl, an annual tradition that captures the worst of Philadelphia's sports reputation. If you think the Super Bowl is too understated, if pro wrestling is too high-brow, if Detroit's Devil's Night is too tame, this is the competition for you. Basically, the Wing Bowl is an excuse for Philly fans to drink excessively, crowd into the Wachovia Center, ogle large-breasted women and heckle and throw crap at contestants.

In other words, it's like the Flyers are playing again.

:P:lol::lol:

whether the replay was being shown by the arena or TV it doesnt change the fact the fans were cheering as it was being replayed as Umberger was on the ice. TV feeds can also be shut off during a game

my point was that fans are idiots everywhere, not just philly

670729[/snapback]

Uh, that'd be nice if it was correct. you claimed it was shown over and over again and that the fans were cheering while he was on the ice. That was already proven incorrect MULTIPLE times, Max.

If the above is correct (which it is) it doesn't even RATE on the scale of the cheering on of Michael Irvin's injury.

Two things:

1. DO NOT PROD THE BEAR.

2. I am from WNY (Niagara Falls, to be precise), and now live in Philly, and I think the idea of anyone from Buffalo hatin' on Philly is wrong on many counts.

Go Bills! Go Sabres!

670766[/snapback]

1. Okay, but since I have nothing to do with tonight's game and I don't think that Flyers players are reading this board, what I have to say doesn't make any difference. The players have to play, we all know that.

2. I'm not from Buffalo.

To quote Forrest Gump, that's all I have to say about that.

Mike

If the above is correct (which it is) it doesn't even RATE on the scale of the cheering on of Michael Irvin's injury.

670881[/snapback]

C'mon Joe...give Philly fans their credit when it is due.

Not only did they boo Irvin when he was carted off the field, a selection of Philly's finest showed up at the HOSPITAL to boo him afterwards. :P

City of Brotherly Love baby

....and the tard of the day is..........Max997! Good to see some new blood in contention for the title. I think we were all getting tired of awarding it to the same people each week.

670806[/snapback]

My trophy case is full. You go Max!