Rick Jeanneret is the best...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to know more about this passport thing????  When did this start?  Or did the writer take some editorial license?

669864[/snapback]

According to the State Dept., Dec 31, 2007 passports will be required for land travel between US and Canada. The agents right now are telling you now when you cross that you should have it.

Visas and Travel Documents

New Requirements for Travelers Between the United States and the Western Hemisphere: Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that, by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. This is a change from prior travel requirements. The goal is to strengthen border security and facilitate entry into the United States for U.S. citizens and legitimate foreign visitors. The U.S. passport is the document of choice because of the incorporated advanced security features.

Travelers to and from Canada will be required to have a U.S. passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. For land border crossings to Canada, other documents that we anticipate will be acceptable are NEXUS and FAST program cards. No other document is currently available that will be an acceptable substitute for a U.S. passport, NEXUS or FAST card. However, we are using new technologies to create other acceptable travel documents. We will make public additional travel document options as they become available.

The travel initiative requirements will be rolled out in phases. The proposed implementation timeline is as follows:

December 31, 2006 – Passport required for all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

December 31, 2007 – Passport required for all land border crossings, as well as air and sea travel.

Current Requirements for Entry Into Canada

Visas are not required for U.S. citizens entering Canada from the U.S. You will, however, need:

Proof of your U.S. citizenship such as your U.S. passport (For information on obtaining a U.S. passport, check with one of the regional passport agencies located throughout the U.S.) or certified copy of your birth certificate issued by the city, county or state in the U.S. where you were born. If you are a naturalized U.S. citizen and do not have a passport, you should travel with your naturalization certificate. A driver’s license, voter’s registration card or Social Security card is NOT valid proof of citizenship.

Photo identification, such as a current, valid driver’s license.

All U.S. citizens entering Canada from a third country must have a valid passport.

Alien permanent residents of the U.S. must present their Alien Registration Card, commonly called a “Green Card.”

If you are a dual U.S./Canadian citizen you should always present yourself as a Canadian citizen when entering Canada. However, U.S. citizens should use their U.S. passports when entering or leaving the United States

There are a lot of baseball radio teams right now where you have an older announcer alternating innings with a younger guy. 

There's no reason we can't split up the work to keep RJ around longer.

669842[/snapback]

this would be nice, but calling a hockey game is much harder then a baseball game...

this would be nice, but calling a hockey game is much harder then a baseball game...

669956[/snapback]

In terms of putting a strain on your voice, yes.

In terms of coming up with things to say between pitches, then no. Seriously, I don't know how some baseball guys come up with banter for 162 games (well, I know some don't and just say stupid crap but that's not really a solution).

• 3 weeks later...
In terms of putting a strain on your voice, yes.

In terms of coming up with things to say between pitches, then no.  Seriously, I don't know how some baseball guys come up with banter for 162 games (well, I know some don't and just say stupid crap but that's not really a solution).

670069[/snapback]

Today they just repeat something from one of the 10 thousand sponsors they have.

Hockey is tough to broadcast because you have so much going on, where as baseball it's pretty much one play. That's the biggest difference.

Today they just repeat something from one of the 10 thousand sponsors they have.

Hockey is tough to broadcast because you have so much going on, where as baseball it's pretty much one play.  That's the biggest difference.

691017[/snapback]

A number of years ago, the Red's radio broadcasters were forced to start the season saying things like this:" It's a Kroeger line drive to left field - so-and-so picks it up on one hop and fires it into second for a Glenway Chevrolet out".

They revolted, so it didn't last long...

I always said he is going to go while yelling "And the Sabres win the Stanley Cup!!!!!!!!" He'll have a major stoke or heart attack and keel over.

We can only hope it's this year and instead of keeling over he stays on a few more years and can repeat "And the Sabres win the Stanley Cup!!!!!!!!" a couple times :ph34r:

Hockey is tough to broadcast because you have so much going on, where as baseball it's pretty much one play.  That's the biggest difference.

691017[/snapback]

"On my trip to the ballyard this afternoon I stopped in for a Jimmy Dean sausage. Man that thing (Ball One) was great! Washed it down with an ice cold frosty Coca (Ball Two) Cola. Left the deli and got in my luxurious Lexus ES-300, man that thing is (foul off to the left side, one and two) roomy. Anyway, as I was driving listening to some commerical free music on my (Strike Two) XM Radio and thinking what a great day for a (pop up to the shortstop for out number two) ballgame. We're going to switch to the Giants game because Barry Bonds is up and nobody grabs his crotch quite like Barry." :ph34r:

RJ is the man. We grew up spoiled. Actually TV toned him down and made Jennerette better. Years ago some of the untelevised games were true works of fiction as anybody that went to the Aud with a transistor radio knew.  :ph34r:

669745[/snapback]

You got that right X-Man. When he was radio-only, he was EXCITING...but sometimes the calls had little to do with the game. Now he's still the most exciting play-by-play man on the planet, but he's on top of the action. A certain fair and balanced dog, says they (The Man) made RJ stop drinking a 12 pack during the game.

I listened to the first game of the series (7-6) on the internet and it was the most exciting game EVER. But any game RJ calls seems to be the most exciting game ever,

Lurker...thanks for the article.

Where does "Mama hide the cookies?"

:P  :doh:

I liked when Mike Robitaille would comment after a crushing hit that: "He's on top of the roof looking for his jock."

:P  ;)

691266[/snapback]

The greatest Roby-ism is still "Took him out to the woodshed."

My friends and I worked that into our everyday conversations back 5-6 years ago.

A number of years ago, the Red's radio broadcasters were forced to start the season saying things like this:" It's a Kroeger line drive to left field - so-and-so picks it up on one hop and fires it into second for a Glenway Chevrolet out".

They revolted, so it didn't last long...

691021[/snapback]

Marty Brennaman doing baseball = RJ doing hockey!