Bills selecting a RB early in Draft ?

Mark VI

Not endorsing the idea but behind McGahee we have tiny Shaud Williams and Lionel Gates, who can't block and showed up for mini camp having lost weight when he needed to bulk up.

We look very thin at a critical position. If Willis goes down, we need someone who could step in. I'm aware of our needs in the lines but don't act shocked if a RB is selected on Day 1.

Not endorsing the idea but behind McGahee we have tiny Shaud Williams and Lionel Gates, who can't block and showed up for mini camp having lost weight when he needed to bulk up. 

We look very thin at a critical position. If Willis goes down, we need someone who could step in. I'm aware of our needs in the lines but don't act shocked if a RB is selected on Day 1.

666702[/snapback]

Sadly, I wouldn't be shocked.

How about another Darrick Holmes in round 7? I still think that he would have had a decent career if he had some blocking, and perhaps a bit more upstairs.

How about another Darrick Holmes in round 7? I still think that he would have had a decent career if he had some blocking, and perhaps a bit more upstairs.

666745[/snapback]

I agree. I think there is alot of depth at RB in this draft, especially day 2 picks. Possibly Gerald Riggs Jr.???

I'm not suggesting the Bills would select a RB in Round 1... but then again nothing surprises me anymore.

I remember Rich and I saying DT Tommie Harris at the Bills Draft Party 2 years back, moments before we selected Lee Evans. I also remember picking my jaw off the ground as we selected McGahee 3 years ago.

This is precisely why I never lock on to any certain player anymore. You're setting yourself up for the big comedown.

Now I just check off several good players at each position and expect anything.

If they went with a RB early (though I can't see why they would just now), I'd love to see Brian Calhoun from Wisconsin. Good runner, doesn't do anything fancy - just runs downfield, has speed and toughness. He might need to be a bit bigger, but this guy would be a steal in round 2 or 3.

I imagine he'd be gone by then, but if he's still available in the 3rd round, I'd say pick him up right then & there.

You're setting yourself up for the big comedown.

666761[/snapback]

LOL, How right you are! The last 2 were particularly horrid.

I hope she does, but if Millie has anything better to do, I don't think she will watch the draft with me, and watch me turn purple and get sick when we draft this years' version of "Little Richard Parrish."

I can't say that I blame her. :flirt:

I agree. I think there is alot of depth at RB in this draft, especially day 2 picks. Possibly Gerald Riggs Jr.???

666747[/snapback]

He would be my pick as well and the Bills could probably land him in the 5th.

If they went with a RB early (though I can't see why they would just now), I'd love to see Brian Calhoun from Wisconsin. Good runner, doesn't do anything fancy - just runs downfield, has speed and toughness. He might need to be a bit bigger, but this guy would be a steal in round 2 or 3.

I imagine he'd be gone by then, but if he's still available in the 3rd round, I'd say pick him up right then & there.

666770[/snapback]

I like your thinking.......one more thing...the guy plays like Thurman Thomas. If Marv watched the games I did, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to us in rd 2. He really is the 2nd coming.

666702[/snapback]

Dumber things have happened, so I wouldn't be surprised at all.... but I would be disappointed, back-up RBs (& LBs & WRs) are a dime-a-dozen in this day and age. Far better IMO to address the more critical needs (DT, OG, SS) first & mop-up the other holes with Day 2 picks or late cuts if necessary. That's too bad about Lionel Gates.

4 years - 10 Million  :doh:

666826[/snapback]

I was wrong... :(

Bengals | Bengals re-sign Watson

Mon, 10 Apr 2006 13:26:18 -0700

Geoff Hobson, of Bengals.com, reports Cincinnati Bengals RB Kenny Watson signed a one-year contract believed to be worth $585,000 with a signing bonus of $40,000. He is expected to continue to contribute on third-down and special teams.

http://kffl.com/player/706/nfl

The fact that the guy catches, runs for a fat average, blocks, never lost a fumble, runs back KO's, comes back to help out a beleagured QB all add up to him to being a lousy adjunct to the Shaud Williams Juggernaut.

:flirt:

:P

I like your thinking.......one more thing...the guy plays like Thurman Thomas. If Marv watched the games I did, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to us in rd 2. He really is the 2nd coming.

666812[/snapback]

That's a good point - he's like Thurman in that he can catch the ball, adding to his value. I didn't see him enough to see how well he blocks and/or picks up the blitz, but I'd still take a chance on him.

I still think he'll be gone by mid-second round and the Bills need other help before they can consider Calhoun. Knowing our luck, he'll end up in Patsie land. :flirt:

666745[/snapback]

he would have been a legend, if not for Gary Plummer....

666702[/snapback]

Your concern is justified, but we can always get a solid backup in free agency - specifically the June 1st cuts. I'd much rather focus on the lines and safety in day 1 of the draft. Hopefully Marv will listen to me :flirt: