I need to create a will

A product called Will Maker was recently recommended to me (actually by a real estate attorney). However, the attorney at our office was dead against using this. I have read all of the reviews and they seem to be positive and it was also recommended by Clark Howard (financial guru type guy on the radio).

I was wondering if anyone had any experience using software to create a will and also if there are any attorneys out there that have an opinion one way or the other.

Oh - married, 2 kids, nothing very complex as far as assets, liabilities, etc. I would want everything to go to wife/kids.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I went through the same thing 4 years ago. I too thought "nothing very complex". It seemed VERY simple to me, since everything is simple when you are ignorant on the subject. I mean splitting an atom is just breaking it in two - correct?

Well, we went a lawyer who does this for a living in our neighborhood and I was floored about how complex my simple situation was. He asked crap I would have never thought of.

I have no expereince with that piece of software, but my experience with my lawyer told me that there is no way any piece of software is going to duplicate the experience and advice of actual legal counsel.

Just did this myself as well; will and trust. It really depends on what is at stake as well as the state in which you reside. If you have children, you have to address guardians and executors, both first and second options. Personally, I'm not living this life just to have my family rely on a will created by a software program that suddenly didn't have all the updates for my situation.

A product called Will Maker was recently recommended to me (actually by a real estate attorney).  However, the attorney at our office was dead against using this.  I have read all of the reviews and they seem to be positive and it was also recommended by Clark Howard (financial guru type guy on the radio).

I was wondering if anyone had any experience using software to create a will and also if there are any attorneys out there that have an opinion one way or the other.

Oh - married, 2 kids, nothing very complex as far as assets, liabilities, etc.  I would want everything to go to wife/kids.

663782[/snapback]

Have a will and living trust drawn up by a professional

Sure - it's off his computer software but he knows the relavent state laws and your heirs will thank you (tax wise) when that time comes

Don't forget the health care provisions :)

We had one done about three years ago - $650 in CA - when we just established our Roth IRA's - the trust made everything easier

Damn. Mine cost $950. You must get the presidential discount.

663862[/snapback]

It is all in the connections. :D

It was simple and straight forward. Just a few pages of questions regarding the living will. Otherwise, the will and power of attorney were very simple. Hell, he even felt guilty for charging me so much. Shocking, coming from a lawyer. :)

Has anyone here ever checked out these guys to get some simple legal documents drawn up? Supposedly your documents are prepared by, or at least under the supervision of, licensed attorneys.

(Disclaimer: the only on-line law-related service I've ever used was an on-line traffic school -- what a friggin' hilarious mockery of justice that was. :))

A product called Will Maker was recently recommended to me (actually by a real estate attorney).  However, the attorney at our office was dead against using this.  I have read all of the reviews and they seem to be positive and it was also recommended by Clark Howard (financial guru type guy on the radio).

Oh - married, 2 kids, nothing very complex as far as assets, liabilities, etc.  I would want everything to go to wife/kids.

663782[/snapback]

Get that s/w, or something equivalent. It's usually a low cost purchase.

It likely will not be suffiecient. But, for a cheap cost, you will likely learn many things the you might have not considred beforehand.

Your 2 kids/no complex asset scenario is a usual one. The idea is to gain knowledge over time.

I'm sure that over time and paying attention - and avoiding the get-rich-quick and the "finance your Home NOW!!" stuff - you will do just fine.

Best time to hash out family/monetary decisions...Sunday A.M. Feed the kids, shake your heads... :). And good luck!

Has anyone here ever checked out these guys to get some simple legal documents drawn up? Supposedly your documents are prepared by, or at least under the supervision of, licensed attorneys.

663887[/snapback]

Now there's a paradox if I ever saw one. :)

663782[/snapback]

My 2 cents. While you may say married, two kids, nothing complex, maybe not.

Lets say you and your wife die together in a car accident caused by a drunk driver. When life insurance plus 401ks, plus IRAs, plus home value etc, plus damages from a a lawsuit, plus monthly check from Social Security added together, your talking substansial cake. Now, you may have custody battle on your hands over who gets the kids. Cause where the kids go, the money follows. Will not even get into the tax aspect if your over the limit .

Also in that scenario, do you really want your kids to have the cash at 18? Or do want trusts set up to limit their access. We have structured access to the money structured in three payments at 25, 30, 35.

Also, lets just say you die next yr. Do you really want money you want designated for your kids to be available to the next bastard that your wife marries?

My wife and I are certainly no fat cats, but if we go together, there will be some money involved. I have seen some figures in this thread about $900 and $200, and that seems pretty cheap to me if various trusts need to be set up.

In the end, if you currently have no will or no DNRs( if thats what you desire) than the software bettern nothing. However, lots o questions and planning need to go into planning your ultimate demise