Lost 2.19 Discussion Thread

My soon-to-be sister-in-law's mother was here from the West Coast and we all went to dinner tonight, so I only caught the last 15 minutes. But, this is a teevee show, and I'd rather have something of a life that's not scheduled around Wednesdays at 9.... And no, don't have tivo, don't even have cable.

Came in at the point where Rose was at the healer Isaac (Was it just me, the accent, or do all Aussies look the same, but that wasn't the guy who turned Kate in, was it?). He said that there was something in the ground --- geological, magnetic, who knows --- there that could heal people. Didn't work for Rose. Do the link, the island has these things. And she knew that Locke had been in a wheelchair..... Question for people here --- how many of you would stay on the island if it meant you were healed? Is that why the Others stay? Is that why they

Michael is back. Says the Others are relatively unarmed and that they can be beaten. Cue on Sawyer to get the guns..... Question: Is this CrazyBizarroMichael who's brokered a deal to get Walt back, ala Rousseau?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My soon-to-be sister-in-law's mother was here from the West Coast and we all went to dinner tonight, so I only caught the last 15 minutes. But, this is a teevee show, and I'd rather have something of a life that's not scheduled around Wednesdays at 9.... And no, don't have tivo, don't even have cable.

Came in at the point where Rose was at the healer Isaac (Was it just me, the accent, or do all Aussies look the same, but that wasn't the guy who turned Kate in, was it?). He said that there was something in the ground --- geological, magnetic, who knows --- there that could heal people. Didn't work for Rose. Do the link, the island has these things. And she knew that Locke had been in a wheelchair..... Question for people here --- how many of you would stay on the island if it meant you were healed? Is that why the Others stay? Is that why they

Michael is back. Says the Others are relatively unarmed and that they can be beaten. Cue on Sawyer to get the guns..... Question: Is this CrazyBizarroMichael who's brokered a deal to get Walt back, ala Rousseau?

660605[/snapback]

You actually didn't miss much -- it was a slow (but good, not BEST Madcap :P ) episode.

Basically we learned about Rose and Bernard:

Backstory

They met and fell in love in less than 5 months. Before agreeing to marry him, she told him that she was sick and had a year to live. For their honeymoon they went to the Outback to see the healer...(you caught the rest).

Island Story:

Bernard was all about getting off the island in the beginning by building a giant sign to be seen from above. He organized people to do it, but Rose undercut him by saying he was giving people "false hope" (something we have heard Jack say to his dad in recent flashbacks). The whole "sign" idea fell apart when Bernard started to lose it by pushing people too hard.

Other Stories From the Ep:

Jack / Kate:

Jack told Gale he was going to go to the "line" and demand a trade for Walt. (He reiterated the "plan" that Henry told him and Locke which makes me believe, from a writing standpoint, they are setting us up and Michael is indeed a "plant" -- but more on that in a sec). Jack said he wants Walt back to which Gale replied: "They will never give up Walt".

Anna said she would go with Jack to the "line" but he wanted her to stay in the hatch with Gale and Locke. She told him ont to go alone, so he invited Kate to come with. While traveling to the line, Jack and Kate get stuck in a Roussou trap and have a sexual/flirty fight about how to get out. They do (quite easily) and on the walk Kate tells Jack about the "costumes" and what she found in the other hatch.

Locke:

Locke spent the episode trying to redraw the map he saw on the door but was unsuccessful. He also asked Henry (through the door of the vault since Anna wouldn't open it without the gun -- which she gave to Jack) if Henry "really pushed the button". Henry didn't respond, but just smiled. To which, Locke hobbled out of the hatch and spent the rest of the time on the beach sulking until Rose told him that she knew his leg would be healed soon...so Locke knows that Rose knows he was in a wheelchair.

Other tidbits:

-We found out for sure that Eko and Charlie are indeed building a church (no shock)

- We found out there is a "lava" field nearby (hence all the black rocks)

- We confirmed that the island does indeed "heal" people.

Other interesting bits to consider:

1) The relevance of the "black rocks". Thinking back throuhgout the show, the Black Rocks are a reoccuring element. From the rocks "Adam and Eve" had on their bodies when they first found the caves, to the backgammon games, to Claire's dreams, to the Ship (Roussou calling it the "black rock" when it's not the ship's name at all, it is just RESTING on a black rock), to the GIANT black rock Jack stood near at the "line", to the Lava field. The black rocks mean something...

2) It's obvious the "others" want specific people. They had a list for the Tailies. They wanted Walt. And Jack made it a point to show that they didn't much want: Sawyer, Kate, Jack, Sayid or Locke because they had many opportunities to take them. So, if Michael is indeed a "plant" (as in, they release him and tell him if he brings them X amount of people -- he will get Walt), who will he choose? Hurley? Libby? Rose? Just food for thought.

1) The relevance of the "black rocks". Thinking back throuhgout the show, the Black Rocks are a reoccuring element. From the rocks "Adam and Eve" had on their bodies when they first found the caves, to the backgammon games, to Claire's dreams, to the Ship (Roussou calling it the "black rock" when it's not the ship's name at all, it is just RESTING on a black rock), to the GIANT black rock Jack stood near at the "line", to the Lava field. The black rocks mean something...

660632[/snapback]

Of course, the relevance of that could simply be that they're filming in Hawaii. :P

Of course, the relevance of that could simply be that they're filming in Hawaii.  :D

660639[/snapback]

:P

Absolutley could be. And I'm not saying they have a purpose (or are a larger part of the mystery of the island) -- but at the very least they have some sort of thematic value that I am not seeing...

...of course your theory could be 100 percent correct too. :P

So what do you think about Michael showing up again?  I'd watch him for the heel turn.

660649[/snapback]

Honestly, from a pure writing standpoint -- there was a reason Jack repeated EXACTLY what Henry told he and Locke a few episodes ago about arranging a trade.

Why? In my mind the writers did it to REMIND us about that plan. And what we are going to find out is that the "Others" planted Henry there to get them to try that plan. But instead of giving up Walt (which they said they never would), then they give them a trojan horse in Michael.

Like I said in my above post, I think there are other "special" people that the "others" want. Namely Aaron and possibley Hurley. So they get Michael to lead the "chosen ones" to fight the "under manned others" but it's a trap.

Just a hunch though.

One thing I'd like to add, but I can't recall exactly what was said. While out on their trek to 'the line', Kate said something to Jack about being 'not good & safe' or something. Made me think about how the others were only interested it 'good' people.

I know I don't post here very much but I love reading these Lost threads. You guys pick up a lot more than I do when I watch the show so it's cool to come here and read what you guys have to say about the show. Keep it up. :P

Okat, prolly really lame and old thinking, but i'm starting to get the theme of the island as the healing force. Almost all of the main characters are starting to or have started to heal their wounds.

Rose and Locke physical ailments, charlie kicked the drugs, Hurley wouldn't take the food last night, Micheal recconnected with walt, Jin and Sun pregnant and happy again,Eko building his church as "there are other ways to be saved" criminy, even sawyer was nice to vincent last night.

Now, i guess i need some help with Jack and Kate and how they have started the healing process.

Post more as I steal other ideas from other boards

Now, i guess i need some help with Jack and Kate and how they have started the healing process.

Post more as I steal other ideas from other boards

660749[/snapback]

Jack and Kate's healing process might be finding each other ie love. As Kate seemed stuck on the fact she killed the man that she loved so much (the miniature airplane) where conversly Jack saved the life of the woman he loved so much who left him for (pun not intended) an other (wouldn't it be ironic if it turns out to be Zeke?).

660749[/snapback]

Both getting over the debilitating guilt that they were responsible for their father / stepfather's deaths would be my guess. Same with Anna Lucia and maybe Sawyer. The island heals emotional as well as physical problems, apparently.

No worries, though I wouldn't be surprised with all things connected, that the one that Jack's wife left him for has some connection to the island.

660830[/snapback]

That topic came up in the discussion after the episode where Jack's wifey-poo leaves him.

It would be extrememly LAME for someone on the island to be that guy....

Do you think the scene of the car stuck in the snow happened in Buffalo?

Nice shot of Niagara Falls...

660960[/snapback]

I'd assume not because Rose seemed so taken with the Falls. I don't think if she lived in Buffalo that she'd still have that amazement, but who the hell knows?