Beer aficionado's give me some beer to try...

At competitions, you have water and crackers to help cleanse the palate, but you will experience "palate fatigue" on the higher-hopped beers.

660835[/snapback]

I haven't suffered from "palate fatigue" in years, and to be honest, it made her happy and was not near as terrible a problem as restless leg syndrome.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't suffered from "palate fatigue" in years, and to be honest, it made her happy and was not near as terrible a problem as restless leg syndrome.

660840[/snapback]

I have a Belgian guy in my palate fatigue support group, he's forever prattling on and on about the the tripels he used to be seen with and his days with some guy called Joseph Spelt.

There is another guy that tells us brushing his teeth makes his Hoegaarden taste funny. I can't stand him either, but in the end we are all there for each other, and that's what counts.

Bought a 12 pack of the Saranac Summer Beers, the Belgian Wheat beer was nice and so wasnt the Hefeweizen. Summer ale was ok and so wasnt the Mountain Ale. Havent tried the Kolsh? or the Pilsener. Let you know later.

Well, let's keep things Canadian and say, basically any beer by this brewery:

http://www.unibroue.com/english.cfm

These three are usually pretty easy to find, in my experience:

Maudite  http://www.unibroue.com/products/maudite.cfm

Trois Pistoles  http://www.unibroue.com/products/3pistoles.cfm

and Fin du Monde  http://www.unibroue.com/products/fin.cfm

I like Fin du Monde, but recommend you start with Maudite.

660108[/snapback]

i second this recommendation- Fin du Monde!!!!

Oh Lord.

Some friends in real life recommended Dog Fish, and I picked up a 4-pack of the 90-minute beer.

It tasted freaking nasty.

Time for a mexican coke to get the aftertaste out of my mouth.

661710[/snapback]

Those are the simcoe, amarillo, and warrior hops you are tasting. DFH 90 is definitely not a beer you should try to introduce yourself to craft beer. At the very least you should have tried a regular IPA first (like DFH 60) to see if you even enjoy those. Stylistically speaking, there are not many IIPA's better than DFH 90.

Those are the simcoe, amarillo, and warrior hops you are tasting.  DFH 90 is definitely not a beer you should try to introduce yourself to craft beer.  At the very least you should have tried a regular IPA first (like DFH 60) to see if you even enjoy those.  Stylistically speaking, there are not many IIPA's better than DFH 90.

661798[/snapback]

Ah, I'll give it a shot with the 60-minute then, thanks.

The reason why I went with the 90-minute is because thats what one of my coworkers said that was really good.

I tasted it and I was like good god thats nasty, haha.

Have any of you had Lake Placid Ubu? It was pretty good. The tap handle was a big dog bone. When I lived in Rochester, I lived across the street from JB Quimbys at Winton and Jefferson. They always had good beer on tap. Every month they would switch it up. They let you keep the Beer of the Month pint glass every Wednsday. I miss that place. Another beer I enjoy is Anchor Steam - Anchor Porter.

One beer that is horrible is Ithaca Nut Brown.

Those are the simcoe, amarillo, and warrior hops you are tasting.  DFH 90 is definitely not a beer you should try to introduce yourself to craft beer.  At the very least you should have tried a regular IPA first (like DFH 60) to see if you even enjoy those.  Stylistically speaking, there are not many IIPA's better than DFH 90.

661798[/snapback]

9% and 90 IBU...sounds about right to me. I'll have to check that out. I really like a big, bitter IPA.

I understand where the "90" in 90 minute comes from. What does the "minute" refer to?

9% and 90 IBU...sounds about right to me.  I'll have to check that out.  I really like a big, bitter IPA.

I understand where the "90" in 90 minute comes from.  What does the "minute" refer to?

662178[/snapback]

The 90 is actually for 90 minutes. They add hops every minute during a 90 minute wort boil, this results in a smooth bitterness and intense hop flavor / aroma. This is different in that usually beers are just hopped discretely at a few time points during the boil.

The 90 is actually for 90 minutes.  They add hops every minute during a 90 minute wort boil, this results in a smooth bitterness and intense hop flavor / aroma. This is different in that usually beers are just hopped discretely at a few time points during the boil.

662195[/snapback]

Thanks..that's interesting. So it's just coincidence that the 60 minute is 60 IBU and the 90 minute is 90 IBU.

Thanks..that's interesting.  So it's just coincidence that the 60 minute is 60 IBU and the 90 minute is 90 IBU.

662343[/snapback]

They may have intentionally done that. Only the brewers could answer that question. The length of the boil does not determine IBU's. Only the addition of hops and when they are added determines the IBU's.

I currently only really drink Blue Light...I will try to sample all beers up here and report back with my thoughts...

659974[/snapback]

Well since you like blue light, and the american version at that, I suggest warm urine in a bottle for you. No doubt your favorite drink.