Beer aficionado's give me some beer to try...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just scored a case of Hop Whallop. There was only one batch of this made back in November and they quickly ran out. Well, I got some inside info that they had a few cases left and I was able to snag one of them. Nice.

I need to get down to DFH one of these days. I want to try the 90 and 120 minute brews. My favorite is without doubt, Iron Hill's Kryptonite. 129 IBU's and 9% abv. In talking to the brewmaster, he said he uses "all the C's" for bittering, with Cascade and Amarillo to dry hop. Unbelievable!!! No question, my favorite IPA/DIPA.

660037[/snapback]

I picked up a six pack of Hop Wallop a few months ago. It's good, but I didn't find it as well balanced as some other double IPA's. Hop Wallop is certainly a good name for it though since the hops aren't tamed by the malt all that much.

Unearthly has the grain bill, SG, color and hop schedule on the bottle. They use cascade, centennial, chinook as well, but also styrian golding through a hop back which I thought to be an odd choice. It's clocks in at 11% but the high alcohol is really well hidden. I'll have to track down some Kryptonite, I'm a big fan of amarillo hops in my homebrewed IPA's

I picked up a six pack of Hop Wallop a few months ago.  It's good, but I didn't find it as well balanced as some other double IPA's.  Hop Wallop is certainly a good name for it though since the hops aren't tamed by the malt all that much.

Unearthly has the grain bill, SG, color and hop schedule on the bottle.  They use cascade, centennial, chinook as well, but also styrian golding through a hop back which I thought to be an odd choice.  It's clocks in at 11% but the high alcohol is really well hidden.  I'll have to track down some Kryptonite, I'm a big fan of amarillo hops in my homebrewed IPA's

660187[/snapback]

Sorry, but you will not be able to get Kryptonite anymore. They had it on tap and cask. It is now gone. Let's hope that they decide to brew another batch.

As far as Hop Whallop's balance, I agree with you. Hop Devil has the same problem, but it is not as noticable since it is only about 65 IBU's. That is why I like Kryptonite. It has a huge malt backbone to support the 129 IBU's..

I've tried many of the popular micros - Victory, Great lakes, Bell's. Southern Tier, DogFish Head, etc. - But right now my favorite is Troegs - form Harrisburg PA - their Dreamweaver Wheat is fantastic, so is their NutBrown Ale. I have in the past leaned towards the IPA's, but these two offerings have made me change my mind a bit.

I am not a fan of the IPAs. I enjoy the stouts. Stouts take some time to get used to and are on the opposite end of light beer. The obvious choice is Guiness but I always enjoy a Young's Double Chocolate Stout or a Young's Oatmeal Stout.

I am not a fan of the IPAs.  I enjoy the stouts.  Stouts take some time to get used to and are on the opposite end of light beer.  The obvious choice is Guiness but I always enjoy a Young's Double Chocolate Stout or a Young's Oatmeal Stout.

660238[/snapback]

I agree. I dont care for IPAs myself but Oatmeal Stout is fantastic!

I am not a fan of the IPAs.  I enjoy the stouts.  Stouts take some time to get used to and are on the opposite end of light beer.  The obvious choice is Guiness but I always enjoy a Young's Double Chocolate Stout or a Young's Oatmeal Stout.

660238[/snapback]

Some of the beer snobs here may disagree, but the ONLY domestic stout I've ever had that's worth a damn is Rogue Shakespeare Stout:

http://www.rogue.com/brews.html#shakespeare

My vote goes to Yuengling.....oldest domestic brewery. I used to have my fridge packed with this stuff when I lived in Philly.....oh how I miss it so :rolleyes:

I currently only really drink Blue Light...I will try to sample all beers up here and report back with my thoughts...

659974[/snapback]

I'm a Blue Light Bottle Only drinker....mmmmmmmmm beeeer.

I think you should try one (or 24) of those...nice and cold!! OH MAN!

Some of the beer snobs here may disagree, but the ONLY domestic stout I've ever had that's worth a damn is Rogue Shakespeare Stout:

http://www.rogue.com/brews.html#shakespeare

660245[/snapback]

Victory Storm King.

Terrapin (Athens, GA) makes a coffe oatmeal, that at first seems too complex, but I really started to like it after I had it for a 2nd time.

I picked up a six pack of Hop Wallop a few months ago.  It's good, but I didn't find it as well balanced as some other double IPA's.  Hop Wallop is certainly a good name for it though since the hops aren't tamed by the malt all that much.

Unearthly has the grain bill, SG, color and hop schedule on the bottle.  They use cascade, centennial, chinook as well, but also styrian golding through a hop back which I thought to be an odd choice.  It's clocks in at 11% but the high alcohol is really well hidden.  I'll have to track down some Kryptonite, I'm a big fan of amarillo hops in my homebrewed IPA's

660187[/snapback]

You guys had me at hello.

I'm by no means a beer snob. I've tried a lot of different brews, but two of them stand out to me.

Paulaner - A German beer that I first got overseas and have lately been able to get in a bar near my home. To me a frosty mug of this is heaven.

Yeungling's - It's been mentioned already. I find it to be the best beer that is readily available and at an affordable price. More and more places around me are carrying it and whenever I go to a restaurant or bar that doesn't have it on tap I ask them why not.