The Managing Partner

Jerry Colangelo was named GM of the Suns when he was 32 years old. He is an amazing guy and was personally responsible for the rebirth of the team and the downtown area of Phoenix. But he never really had any serious money.

In 1987, Colangelo got a group of investors together and bought The Suns for 44.5 million. He was always referred to as "the owner" although he was really what I think was labelled "The Managing Partner". What people didn't really know is that he didn't have that great of a share of the ownership, the investors just trusted him and gave him all the power. He made all of the basketball decisions and later was replaced as GM by his son, who eventually became GM of the year. But Jerry Colangelo was a great basketball man and visionary and ambassador and General Manager. He was not wealthy. And yet everyone thought he was the owner. He also did something similar with the Arizona Diamondbacks, as their "owner" and won a World Series.

So why doesn't Ralph just leave the team to his wife, find some guy that he trusts to no end, make that person the Managing Partner with a small marginal ownership, and basically total control over all football operations, insist in writing that the team does not leave Buffalo and let his wife and family enjoy the profits?

I am not sure if this is possible but I don't know why not, and would like someone to poke holes in it if they can. I don't know either way.

Jerry Colangelo was named GM of the Suns when he was 32 years old. He is an amazing guy and was personally responsible for the rebirth of the team and the downtown area of Phoenix. But he never really had any serious money.

In 1987, Colangelo got a group of investors together and bought The Suns for 44.5 million. He was always referred to as "the owner" although he was really what I think was labelled "The Managing Partner". What people didn't really know is that he didn't have that great of a share of the ownership, the investors just trusted him and gave him all the power. He made all of the basketball decisions and later was replaced as GM by his son, who eventually became GM of the year. But Jerry Colangelo was a great basketball man and visionary and ambassador and General Manager. He was not wealthy. And yet everyone thought he was the owner. He also did something similar with the Arizona Diamondbacks, as their "owner" and won a World Series.

So why doesn't Ralph just leave the team to his wife, find some guy that he trusts to no end, make that person the Managing Partner with a small marginal ownership, and basically total control over all football operations, insist in writing that the team does not leave Buffalo and let his wife and family enjoy the profits?

I am not sure if this is possible but I don't know why not, and would like someone to poke holes in it if they can. I don't know either way.

659383[/snapback]

the only football guy he trusts is Marv.

not exactly the young turk you are looking for.

He tried bringinh in the outside expert in Teflon tom- not likely to try that again anytime son

659383[/snapback]

This brings up a question. IF Ralph were to die, there would be no inheritance taxes. In fact, his wife would just take the team. There would be no nothing involved. I think we are all assuming that he needs to parcel out all his property when he leaves this plane. But don't the kids usually get the farm when Mom and Dad both exit?

And Mom in this case is in the shape of a 35 year old and will probably live at least another 30-40 years. She will probably outlive many if not most of us....

the only football guy he trusts is Marv.

not exactly the young turk you are looking for.

He tried bringinh in the outside expert in Teflon tom- not likely to try that again anytime son

659527[/snapback]

True, but it seemingly is the far lesser of two evils. He doesn't have to sell the team. His family gets to keep his wealth as well as make some millions a year off the team. He gets to keep his legacy in Buffalo. I didnt necessarily mean bring in a young turk either. The guy could be 60.

659383[/snapback]

That's what the Sixers did when they were bought out by Comcast. The brought in Pat Croce to serve as the 'owner', even though he didn't own the team.

659383[/snapback]

Sounds rational to me..--Or maybe Ralph could adopt some guy--make him gemeral manager and still get revenue sharing for the bills when he 'crosses over tto the othe side'.Adoption is the answer

659383[/snapback]

Wife inherits husbands major league sports franchise...sounds like a movie I saw once...only in the movie she tries to make the team so bad that she can move them to some glamorous warm-weather city, because she hated the dowdy rust-belt city they played in...of course I'm not suggesting anything.

PTR

Also Jerry Coangelo was squeezed out of the D'Backs by his partners. He wanted to keep pumping money into the franchise and ended up almost devaluing the stock of the orginal major shareholders. He did well in that market until it got too big for him. Sarver owning the Suns is a really good deal right now, they kept the Coangelos around under 3 year deals until the son left to run the Raptors recently & the old man was put in charge of USA basketball. His son did a heckuva job building the Suns, got lucky on a few trades + Amare sliding down to him. The only somewhat big problem was Bank One (now Chase Field) & America West (now USAirways Center) were built with public money but never put up for a vote. With the Coyotoes & Cardinals having to jump through all sorts of hoops to get their buildings planned & completed always made his dealings look shady.

Also Jerry Coangelo was squeezed out of the D'Backs by his partners.  He wanted to keep pumping money into the franchise and ended up almost devaluing the stock of the orginal major shareholders.  He did well in that market until it got too big for him.  Sarver owning the Suns is a really good deal right now, they kept the Coangelos around under 3 year deals until the son left to run the Raptors recently & the old man was put in charge of USA basketball.  His son did a heckuva job building the Suns, got lucky on a few trades + Amare sliding down to him.  The only somewhat big problem was Bank One (now Chase Field) & America West (now USAirways Center) were built with public money but never put up for a vote.  With the Coyotoes & Cardinals having to jump through all sorts of hoops to get their buildings planned & completed always made his dealings look shady.

659798[/snapback]

Mostly true. I don't think you're giving Bryan Colangelo enough credit but that's arguable. Colangelo was ridiculous in how he handled the D'Backs, and bought a World Series and then ruined the team. But I simply think he was out of his element in baseball. He was also partly or mostly responsible for the WNBA team, which is hugely successful, as well as bringing the Coyotes to Phoenix. I always thought he was somewhat shady in his business dealings but he was and is an amazing success story in the area. I think Sarver is going to ruin the Suns.

He was the reason too much $$$ was wrapped up in Penny & Googs for too many years. + Uncle Spliffy, the whole Marbury thing. The Q. Richardson thing was bad too. Had a lot of coin over a lot of years only move him after one season. The lack of bench depth really hurt them down the stretch last year, compiled with Richardson & Marion completely disappearing during the playoffs. (Marion has shown up a little lately, thought he was only "the Matrix" against teams like Golden State or Seattle) He managed to pull out of the nose dive towards the end of his tenure. Getting 2 1st rounders & Diaw for Joe Johnson was clutch. Getting Raja Bell on the cheap was good as well. Filled some of the depth with good role players like Eddie House, James Jones, Tim Thomas & Brian Grant (when healthy) while letting other players like Barbosa develop. He has left the team in good shape draft wise & I think cap wise. Haven't heard a whole lot of who Sarver got to replace him. He seems pretty hands off for now.

659383[/snapback]

There's no inheritance tax for leaving the team to his wife, but once she passes away, the kids will be hit with a massive tax. Bearing in mind this solution could only work while Mary Wilson is alive, it's hard to know who Ralph would trust enough to take on the role of managing partner. Jim Kelly maybe, but he may be too caught up in his current activities to want the role of managing partner. I'd trust Frank Reich with my life, but he's too busy with his Christian ministry to have time for this.

Off the top of my head, the best choice I can think of is--of all people--Alex Van Pelt. He's a) busy, b) busy with football-related things, c) appears loyal to Buffalo, d) appears willing to abandon his present activities if something better came along, and e) I think he's got a good head on his shoulders. I'm not saying he's the best available candidate--he may not be--but I'd like to see those five things from whichever person does get chosen for this role.

Edit: you'd also want someone very trustworthy in this position. I think you could trust Van Pelt.

Mostly true. I don't think you're giving Bryan Colangelo enough credit but that's arguable. Colangelo was ridiculous in how he handled the D'Backs, and bought a World Series and then ruined the team. But I simply think he was out of his element in baseball. He was also partly or mostly responsible for the WNBA team, which is hugely successful, as well as bringing the Coyotes to Phoenix. I always thought he was somewhat shady in his business dealings but he was and is an amazing success story in the area. I think Sarver is going to ruin the Suns.

659811[/snapback]

Sounds like Huezanga and the Marlins, won a championship and cleaned house.

strike me for my pessimistic view of family dynamics in the Wilson family but I am under the impression that the kids are none to ready to let their new mommy inherit all of daddy's moola upon his death.

I suspect he has already established that upon his death his three girls get mucho inherito and that new momma is not in line to get anything close huge % (let alone 100%, aka Da Bilz).

If the current Mrs. Wilson does inherit the Bills, then other than her wanting to bail out, then one would think the Bills in Buffalo are relatively safe. But, like I said, I doubt that she inherits the Bills 100%...or even 50%.

my 2 cents ....

When Ralph dies, I'm going to look her up! Rich and pretty hot looking! And I think could out live her, so then when she dies, I could afford a younger and hotter model. And when she kills me, who cares!

And Mom in this case is in the shape of a 35 year old and will probably live at least another 30-40 years. She will probably outlive many if not most of us....

659555[/snapback]

Wife inherits husbands major league sports franchise...sounds like a movie I saw once...only in the movie she tries to make the team so bad that she can move them to some glamorous warm-weather city, because she hated the dowdy rust-belt city they played in...of course I'm not suggesting anything.

PTR

659650[/snapback]

"So I guess there's only one thing to do..."