Why doesn't Florida have strict building codes

Like banning mobile homes and RVs? That would be really, really tough to do.

And as far as putting power lines underground? Yeah, I thought the same thing. And then I remembered how close most of FL is to 0' altitude, and how close to the surface the water table must be. Now, I'm no engineer, but I imagine any underground construction would have to require some MASSIVE sump-pumps.....

Also they could put all of the power lines under ground so they dont get knocked out during hurricanes.

California has strict building codes to handle earthquakes, Florida should have building codes for hurricanes.

48660[/snapback]

Actually, post Andrew code houses withstood these storms with flying colors. Its a process, and its working. Good post.

Also they could put all of the power lines under ground so they dont get knocked out during hurricanes.

California has strict building codes to handle earthquakes, Florida should have building codes for hurricanes.

48660[/snapback]

They do. A lot of houses are grandfathered in, though. If you build new, the codes are pretty strict. But if you buy a 20-year old house...

They do.  A lot of houses are grandfathered in, though.  If you build new, the codes are pretty strict.  But if you buy a 20-year old house...

48686[/snapback]

True. The new home I bought is right at 24 years old. But alot of it depends on the builder. When mine was built it exceded code for back then. After inspection prior to buying it still exceded code. Sweet!

I believe most all newer nieghborhoods are done with underground wires, the problem with older areas with above ground wires is the enormous cost involved in burreing them and that cost will be passed on to the customer, which would not sit well what with the power bills already pretty high as is! Mine thankgoodness are buried and haven't lost power since Charley!

Tug of war among builders, real estate, insurers & regulators.

At the end of the day, consumer decides. Pay more for a house that's above code, or roll the dice that the wind & water won't get you.

The state is supposed to be working on it, making it a lot easier for developers to acquire property on which mobile home parks have been built so those parks can be removed and hurricane resistant housing built in it stead. It is a lengthy process, however. With 20% of the homes in Florida affected by this summer's hurricanes, I bet the process moves along alot more quickly for a while.

"Also they could put all of the power lines under ground so they dont get knocked out during hurricanes."

Placing power lines underground is unfeasible in older neighborhoods as the ground water is a constant problem

My sisters' 34 year old house stood through both hurricanes with nary a scratch -

hurricane shutters and a solid house DO matter.

Falling trees also create all kind of problems just like in Santa Anna winds or NE icestorms.

Florida should have building codes for hurricanes.

48660[/snapback]

And what do you propose to do with all the manufactured housing and trailers, which is what's damaged most often by these storms?

There are thousands upon thousands of retirees living in manufactured housing throughout the state of Florida, even in relatively affluent areas. These folks can't just trade up to "brick and mortar."

I read this is the first time since 1896 that one state has been hit by four major hurricanes in a single year. The cost of retrofitting existing infrastructure to withstand these types of storms would be hundreds of times greater than the monetary damage they create. As to the human damage, that's another story.

And what do you propose to do with all the manufactured housing and trailers, which is what's damaged most often by these storms? 

There are thousands upon thousands of retirees living in manufactured housing throughout the state of Florida, even in relatively affluent areas.  These folks can't just trade up to "brick and mortar." 

I read this is the first time since 1896 that one state has been hit by four major hurricanes in a single year.  The cost of retrofitting existing infrastructure to withstand these types of storms would be hundreds of times greater than the monetary damage they create.  As to the human damage, that's another story.

48865[/snapback]

Nature will take care of the existing structures by destroying them. It is more what will they be replaced with? If they are replaced by hurricane resistant homes and wires underground, then the next 'Charley' will merely be a rain storm.

Nature will take care of the existing structures by destroying them. It is more what will  they be replaced with? If they are replaced by hurricane resistant homes and wires underground, then the next 'Charley' will merely be a rain storm.

Merely be a rain storm?? I don't think so, Tim....... ;)

Probably for the same reason California ( or Kalee-fowah-nee-ah) has buildings that go boom in an earthquake.  Some of the buildings are old and pre-andrew.

49087[/snapback]

Most of the homes that are going to go boom have already done so and have either been torn down or retrofitted to handle the quakes. As building are destoryed in Florida you would think that hurricane resistant structures would replace them, more flood control measures built after each flood and power lines buried as they are blown over.

I know your going to say it's expensive, but so is replacing/repairing them every 5 years or so. At some point it should become cost justified.

But that is just my opinion. Dont start calling me names or get your panties in a wad because that is my opinion.

While we are on the subject, it looks like we are going to be getting shutters for our house. The combo of roll downs, accordians, and direct mount is going to set us back more than 10K.

The good news is that we will not have to wait in line for plywood at Home Depot or worry about our house blowing apart anymore.

Sadly, once the polar ice caps have melted, this discussion will be irrelevant. But hey, we have to be sure that those with investments in fossil fuel reserves are able to burn every drop remaining in their reserves before we can do something intelligent about global warming and the environment generally. :D

Nature will take care of the existing structures by destroying them. It is more what will  they be replaced with? If they are replaced by hurricane resistant homes and wires underground, then the next 'Charley' will merely be a rain storm.

49054[/snapback]

What you keep overlooking is the cost of building hurricain-resistant homes and infrastructure. Who's gonna' pay for this? Taxpayers, homeowners, little green men from mars?

The folks who live in manufactured housing do so because they're cheaper to build/buy and that's what they can afford. Florida politicians are never going to alienate the demographic group with the highest voter participation rate.

Or are you just proposing that all the fixed-income retirees in trailers/manufactured housing be priced out of the Florida market?

48660[/snapback]

It is nice to know thanks to code there is no damage from earthquakes in Ca. yeah right.