bang bang thump bump bang

So here I sit on the computer while 10 guys are up abve on my steep roof doing a complete tearoff and plywood is cut and nailed on with water barrier.  Lots of steep roof with cedar shakes and 2 layers of asphalt shingles  which makes for a lot of labor and 15,000 total bill. 

Good part is we are getting a 110mph 50 year shingle which is good. 

658029[/snapback]

A couple of questions. Plywood 1/2" 4 ply CDX? Ice shield brand name? (Grace is the best) Shingle name (Elk I hope). How many Squares is your roof? Dormers??

Is trash weight extra??

A couple of questions. Plywood 1/2" 4 ply CDX? Ice shield brand name? (Grace is the best) Shingle name (Elk I hope). How many Squares is your roof? Dormers??

Is trash weight extra??

659720[/snapback]

I have some questions too Hammer... Where does HelloNewman live?

Funny thing is that I noticed is he is getting a roof with a 110 mph rating (which seems important to him)... I would take they live down south with potential for hurricanes?

If he is living down there... Why the hell does he have a steep roof? I would at least hope that it is a hip roof style at VERY least.

If he is in a hurricane prone area, why have a roof that seems more suited for a Cape Cod winter?

Funny thing is that I noticed is he is getting a roof with a 110 mph rating (which seems important to him)... I would take they live down south with potential for hurricanes?

659724[/snapback]

And he's got Mexican labor.

And he's got Mexican labor.

659734[/snapback]

:D:P

They are everywhere now... Major corridor is through Iowa and the MidWest to Chicago... Just booming where I live... Even have a new fruiteria right in town now!

The onion and cabbage fields along IL-394 (near the IN border) is usually where I notice the migrants during the harvest... School buses line the fields...

I was just curious because a big peeve of mine is the building of houses that don't fit into the type of geographical area... IE: building homes with wood shingles in fire prone areas of the west, Cape Cod styles along the southern coast, or three story spreads in the middle of a prairie...

I have some questions too Hammer... Where does HelloNewman live?

If he is living down there... Why the hell does he have a steep roof?  I would at least hope that it is a hip roof style at VERY least.

If he is in a hurricane prone area, why have a roof that seems more suited for a Cape Cod winter?

659724[/snapback]

I wonder also where he lives. I don't know why he has a steep roof, but a good 50 year shingle (thicker so it has some nice depth) )would look cherry.

Mexican labor is everywhere.

Jesus Christ! That's exactly what I'll need done in a few years. Original shakes are still on the roof with two layers over top. Strip down, playwood, water barrier and shingles. Now I know how much I've got to start saving.

658221[/snapback]

Same here. Although I think I may have three layers total because the crazy B word who owned the house before me was an idiot.

I wonder also where he lives. I don't know why he has a steep roof, but a good 50 year shingle (thicker so it has some nice depth) )would look cherry.

Mexican labor is everywhere.

660597[/snapback]

to answer some of your questions......I live in Rochester, NY in an old 1973 sq ft house built in the 1890's with a very steep roof. The roof is done and it looks great...done in only 2 days with about 10 laborers/installers working on the house from sunup to sundown both days with only 1/2 hr rest and the occasional cigarette. I got 1/2 real plywood (not OSB) on the roof with ridge vents on the top. They even cleaned up 99.9% of my attic that had cedar shake splinters of varying sizes everywhere from the tearoff and they also cleaned up well before they left. Total bill for the entire job....14,900 which included a complete tear off of 2 layers of asphalt shingles with cedar shakes underneath, drip edge, 1/2 plywood, 6 feet wide of ice/water barrier layed down from the edge of roof on up, disposal and dumpster included, 50 yr architectural shingle, ridgevents, cleanup everywhere, all metal flashings replaced, and they even cleaned out the leaves in my gutters for free. I will give this to the hispanic laborers/installers.....they worked HARD with very little break and had lots of "yes sir" in them. I was impressed. The roofing brand is GAF

By the way...customer service was impressive....showed up on time...returned all calls within 5 minutes...gave me a 50 year instead of 30 year shingle for free if we gave them the job plus knocked 150.00 bucks off the job as an incentive. When I was done the foreman asked me to walk around with him one last time to make sure everything was to my satisfaction and if not he would take care of it immediately before they left the site.

here is the company if you are interested

Roofing Contractor

to answer some of your questions......I live in Rochester, NY in an old house built in the 1890's.  The roof is done and it looks good...done in only 2 days with about 10 laborers working on the house from sunup to sundown both days with only 1/2 hr rest and the occasional cigarette.  I got 1/2 plywood on the roof with ridge vents on the top. They even cleaned up 99.5% of my attic that had cedar shake splinters of varying sizes everywhere and they also cleaned up well too.  total bill for the entire job....14,900 which included a complete tear off of a steep roof, drip edge, 1/2 plywood, disposal and dumpster, 50 yr architectural shingle, ridgevents, cleanup everywhere, all metal flashings replaced, and they even cleaned out the leaved in my gutters for free.  I will give this to the hispanic laborers/installers.....they worked HARD with very little break and had lots of "yes sir" in them.  I was impressed. The roofing brand is GAF

here is the company if you are interested

Roofing Contractor

661577[/snapback]

I know nothing about the cost of these things, but that sounds like a good deal to me (depending on the size of the roof, of course).

Didn't Henry Fonda used to do TV commercials for GAF?

to answer some of your questions......I live in Rochester, NY in an old 1973 sq ft house built in the 1890's with a very steep roof. I got 1/2 real plywood , 6 feet wide of ice/water barrier layed down from the edge of roof on up, 50 yr architectural shingle, ridgevents, and they even cleaned out the leaves in my gutters for free. The roofing brand is GAF

By the way...customer service was impressive...gave me a 50 year instead of 30 year shingle for free When I was done the foreman asked me to walk around with him one last time to make sure everything was to my satisfaction and if not he would take care of it immediately before they left the site.

How many squares is your roof. Living area maybe 1973 sg ft but roof area is different. The steeper the roof the easier it is on the back!

1/2 real plywood but 3 ply or 4 ply there is a difference. Ridge vents good but what about Soffit Vents. Gable vents are not the same and yes you can install soffit vents on a Older home. Ice and Water Shield, 6' wide you meant high from edge of roof. Ice and water should be wraped over roof deck on to facia. I doubt that you got 6 feet high worth of Ice and Water Shield (Gaf brand half the cost of Grace) in that your have a over lap of 6 inches so you only have 5 1/2 feet high of Ice and water.

If your contract sez 6' ???? Than maybe a lawyer issue. Perhaps a free roof.

I liked that the foreman did a walk around and that they came into your house to clean.