Sorry for the redundancy, but this is my summary of the press conference.

Random comments as I scribbled them down:

RW joked that the Bills had more press conferences then games.

He looked good. His color was good, he was lucid and did not seem disoriented like he was in some recent broadcasts.

Ralph came to New York to be straight with Gov. Pataki, the Erie County Exec (name?) and everyone. He did not come here to ask for money.

He said the CBA had worked really well until some owners began building castles (new stadiums) in the large markets that generated lots of revenue that was not shared revenue. That gave them an unfair advantage with the ability to offer huge bonuses that are pro-rated and guaranteed. They have more ready cash to bargain with.

He said the high revenue clubs formed a voting block to keep revenue in their own team, bypassing the original intent of the revenue sharing agreement. So, all clubs may have and $80M salary cap, but not all have the extra cash for perks to attract players.

This makes the NFL an un-level playing field. He does not want to see the NFL become unbalanced, like baseball. He mentioned Steinbrenner by name and used the Yankees and Montreal as an example.

He said there were qualifications on the extension of the collective bargaining agreement that half of the teams STILL do not understand. This could result in 16 to 18 clubs being ineligible for revenue sharing. One example of a qualification was percentage of attendance at games.

He has no intention of selling the team. He said he is “taking it to the wall”. When Golisano was mentioned, he said they met once at a tennis match and he liked him. He said he appreciated his offer to help, but it was not needed right now.

He said his objection with the CBA was not making more money, but of survival. He said he will fight hard to stay in Buffalo and stay competitive.

Before the vote, about 15 teams felt the CBA was unfair but they folded to the larger franchises.

RW asked Pataki to speak to Tagliabue to put some political pressure to bear and make to be sure smaller markets do not get ruined. Pataki says he wants the Bills to stay in NY - after all they are the ONLY NFL team in NY.

RW is not trying to get a new stadium. He said WNY is a poor area and there is no justification for building a more costly stadium. We have a fine stadium already.

RW lamented that most of the old guard of owners is gone. The new owners do not have the same values. When the league has a meeting, instead of talking football, they talk money. The new owners are not concerned with fairness. He feels the high revenue clubs put a lot of pressure on Tagliabue. He hinted that in the past, as recently as the 1987, the owners would have walked away from the table and let the players go on strike before they would fold to the demands for 59% share of the revenue.

In answer to a question, he jokingly said he would sell the naming rights to RWS for 75 cents. Then he said that the money he would make in selling the name would barely be enough to sign a FA rookie.

That is more than enough for now!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm new to this board, but have been a bills fan forever. This JSP fellow is proving to be quite the know-it-all smart a$$.

My question for the great football know-it-all is, why with all the disdain and disgust you apparently have towards this organization, from management to owner to players don't you just wash your hands of the team all together?

I mean you really seem to hate everything about this team. Why don't you just leave the buffalo bills "fan base" and latch on to another team, one with charisma, a young owner, a great coach and top notch players.

and save yourself from this despicable franchise, please.

I'm new to this board, but have been a bills fan forever. This JSP fellow is proving to be quite the know-it-all smart a$$.

My question for the great football know-it-all is, why with all the disdain and disgust you apparently have towards this organization, from management to owner to players don't you just wash your hands of the team all together?

I mean you really seem to hate everything about this team. Why don't you just leave the buffalo bills "fan base" and latch on to another team, one with charisma, a young owner, a great coach and top notch players.

and save yourself from this despicable franchise, please.

655734[/snapback]

Thanks for your input. Let me file it with the input of all those who also disagree with me.

I've probably been a fan for as long if not longer than you.

Go back to shearing sheep or whatever it was you were doing before you wasted 10 seconds of my time with that post.

I think people are just generally curious why you have so much hostility towards the bills. Certainly someone with the name "joesixpack" should understand the value of loyalty to a team. Not blind loyalty mind you but, at least in my opinion, a fan can hate the moves a team makes all it wants, but they still love the team and hope it succeeds in whatever path it takes.

Mocking an old man is probably as low as it gets.

Again, thanks for the input.

Hopefully your mother will be making you meatloaf tonight. She says it's your favorite.

655769[/snapback]

I think people are just generally curious why you have so much hostility towards the bills.  Certainly someone with the name "joesixpack" should understand the value of loyalty to a team.  Not blind loyalty mind you but, at least in my opinion, a fan can hate the moves a team makes all it wants, but they still love the team and hope it succeeds in whatever path it takes.

Mocking an old man is probably as low as it gets.

655783[/snapback]

See, that's where a lot of people get it wrong. I love this TEAM. I'm passionite about them to a fault. But sometime over the past three seasons, it just dawned on me that they really seemed to be spinning their wheels.

I live in Eagle country, and let me tell you, seeing the success that once wretched team is enjoying always makes me ask: Why not Buffalo? So I started thinking about that, and it all came back to one person: Ralph. Like the previous owner of the Iggles, Ralph is fiddling while his franchise burns.

I really think if a Golisano or Jacobs ran this team, it would be a whole lot better off.

Your never going to get through to him. He hates everything about this team, but says he loves them

I don't see how anyone can say Marv and jauron have failed because as of yet, They have not even shown what they can do. Last time I checked the SB is rewarded for performance on the field not from who can sign the most big name FA or spend the most money on a coach and GM. Last time I checked, I really don't think TD was working for this team for peanuts, he was making a nice amount of money to be the GM, But Ralph is cheap. TD was the one who decided who was going to be the coach, and he chose one guy cause he interviewed well and the other cause he was a co-ordinator for TD's old team. But lets blame Ralph, he's cheap.

Yes the Bills have not had a good o-line for over 10 years, and have not been a great team for a while, but thats in the past. There are new people running the show so none of that matters, if in 2 years this team is still no where closer then they were then they can be deemed a failure. But no one has the patients anymore to be willing to see what they can do. Everything has to be instant gratification for them.

As for the QB situation, How many other teams have always had a great QB on their team? It takes time to find the right QB and Develop them into a great player, you know, more then 8 games. Sometime they pan out, other times they don't. What would have happened if Indy would have given up on Manning after only 8 games, or the Broncos gave up on Elway, we've seen what happened when Atlanta gave up Favre (but I'm sure they have never regretted the decission)

Everything to Buffalo fans always has to have a hidden meaning or a conspiracy. The refs/league are out to get us they don't want us to win, The GM is saying this player doesn't fit our system a smoke screen so others don't think we want him, Ralph is doing this now so he can fool tax payers and the county to pay to build him a new stadium and put more money into his pockets.

And as for peoples attitude of you don't share my opinion you must be a pats/jets/dolphins fan, No I don't think that just cause you don't agree with my opinion. I think that cause your attitude towards a team you supposedly "Love" does not show it. Fine your not optimistic about the team and are tired of them being inadequite, but your on a crusade that everything the Bills do is wrong. I bet if Sherman was hired you would be the first one here saying he sucks, why did GB fire him. If the Bills had signed bentley it would have been we overpayed for him, he must suck, why didn't NO re-sign him. If Ralph were to have voted yes on this agreement and someone else came out and saidf what Ralphs saying now it would have been Ralph is to old to understand whats going on.

If someone has an opinion different then mine, I atleast try to see it from their point of view first and then give them reson why I don't agree. All your answers are usually, Ralphs too old and Senile, He'll be dead soon, The Bills are cheap. Anyone supporting this team has Blinders on and are simply cheering for this team with Blind faith. I am atleast willing to say I will give this new GM and Coach and team more then just a couple weeks into FA before I say they are a failure and changes need to be made.

See, that's where a lot of people get it wrong. I love this TEAM. I'm passionite about them to a fault. But sometime over the past three seasons, it just dawned on me that they really seemed to be spinning their wheels.

I live in Eagle country, and let me tell you, seeing the success that once wretched team is enjoying always makes me ask: Why not Buffalo? So I started thinking about that, and it all came back to one person: Ralph. Like the previous owner of the Iggles, Ralph is fiddling while his franchise burns.

I really think if a Golisano or Jacobs ran this team, it would be a whole lot better off.

655797[/snapback]

I was lighting my farts the other day, and the same thought came to me. I decided if I was still around, I'd renew my Sunday Ticket and maybe go out a couple three times to the Sports Bar to watch a game and complain.

Post count for this thread. I dont think anyones beating a dead horse, you? :doh::P

Poster Posts

JoeSixPack 33

BillsGuyInMalta 16

Ramius 11

mead107 11

BB27 10

BillsFan Trapped in Pats Land 6

bills_fan_in_raleigh 5

BlueFire 4

Peter 3

zow2 2

Clements22 2

bigbillsfan12 2

JDG 2

JCBoston 2

billsfanmiami(oh) 2

drhockey 2

erynthered 2

Dan Gross 2

RayFinkle 2

BackInDaDay 1

Ghost of BiB 1

LSI Cadets 1

5 Wide 1

a player to be named later 1

Jauron733 1

Mark VI 1

chknwing334 1

apuszczalowski 1

taterhill 1

DPR4444 1

BUFFALOTONE 1

Rockpile 1

John from Hemet 1

655797[/snapback]

I think that perspective makes sense. Don't necessarily agree with all of it or necessarily your approach, but I see where you're coming from now. Go Bills!

I live in Eagle country,

655797[/snapback]

Oh, so sorry, so your a troll from the Eagles Boards then

655797[/snapback]

Yeah, cause Golisano just loves to throw around his money just to make the team successful

I'm very happy Golisano saved the Sabres from Bankrupcy, but he inherited a team that was on the rise, it wasn't anything he did that made them the way they are now.

He is a buisness man first, Team supporter second. If the team is not making a profit, he will do what he can to make sure it will. So is he going to be considered cheap when he puts a cap on the team spending lower then the salary cap just so the team will atleast break even? He's not an idiot with his money, self-made Millionaires/Billionaires don't usually throw around money at everything that will make them more popular, they are usually some of the cheapest people you will find.

Maybe you would prefer being a Redskins fan. They like signing the big names, have a young billionaire owner who signs the best coaches with the big price tags, and throws his money around as if it flowed like water.

Post count for this thread. I dont think anyones beating a dead horse, you? :doh:  :P

Poster Posts

JoeSixPack 33

BillsGuyInMalta 16

Ramius 11

mead107 11

BB27 10

BillsFan Trapped in Pats Land 6

bills_fan_in_raleigh 5

BlueFire 4

Peter 3

zow2 2

Clements22 2

bigbillsfan12 2

JDG 2

JCBoston 2

billsfanmiami(oh) 2

drhockey 2

erynthered 2

Dan Gross 2

RayFinkle 2

BackInDaDay 1

Ghost of BiB 1

LSI Cadets 1

5 Wide 1

a player to be named later 1

Jauron733 1

Mark VI 1

chknwing334 1

apuszczalowski 1

taterhill 1

DPR4444 1

BUFFALOTONE 1

Rockpile 1

John from Hemet 1

655815[/snapback]

I'm up to 2, but I'm discussing copper farts.

Oh, so sorry, so your a troll from the Eagles Boards then

Yeah, cause Golisano just loves to throw around his money just to make the team successful

I'm very happy Golisano saved the Sabres from Bankrupcy, but he inherited a team that was on the rise, it wasn't anything he did that made them the way they are now.

He is a buisness man first, Team supporter second. If the team is not making a profit, he will do what he can to make sure it will. So is he going to be considered cheap when he puts a cap on the team spending lower then the salary cap just so the team will atleast break even? He's not an idiot with his money, self-made Millionaires/Billionaires don't usually throw around money at everything that will make them more popular, they are usually some of the cheapest people you will find.

Maybe you would prefer being a Redskins fan. They like signing the big names, have a young billionaire owner who signs the best coaches with the big price tags, and throws his money around as if it flowed like water.

655821[/snapback]

Wow, where have I heard this before?