Dateline NBC's Muslim Trap

pdh1

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - NASCAR said it was "outrageous" that "Dateline NBC" targeted one of its race tracks last weekend for a possible segment on anti-Muslim sentiment in the United States.

NASCAR said NBC confirmed it was sending Muslim-looking men to a race, along with a camera crew to film fans' reactions. The NBC crew was "apparently on site in Martinsville, Va., walked around and no one bothered them," NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said Wednesday.

"It is outrageous that a news organization of NBC's stature would stoop to the level of going out to create news instead of reporting news," Poston said.

"Any legitimate journalist in America should be embarrassed by this stunt. The obvious intent by NBC was to evoke reaction, and we are confident our fans won't take the bait," he said.

NASCAR is in the final year of a broadcasting agreement with NBC Sports.

"'Dateline' is looking into this story," NBC said in a statement. "We were intrigued by the results of a recent Washington Post/ABC News poll and other articles regarding increasing anti-Muslim sentiments in the United States.

"It's very early on in our newsgathering process, but be assured we will be visiting a number of locations across the country and are confident that our reporting team is pursuing this story in a fair manner," it said.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - NASCAR said it was "outrageous" that "Dateline NBC" targeted one of its race tracks last weekend for a possible segment on anti-Muslim sentiment in the United States.

NASCAR said NBC confirmed it was sending Muslim-looking men to a race, along with a camera crew to film fans' reactions. The NBC crew was "apparently on site in Martinsville, Va., walked around and no one bothered them," NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said Wednesday.

"It is outrageous that a news organization of NBC's stature would stoop to the level of going out to create news instead of reporting news," Poston said.

"Any legitimate journalist in America should be embarrassed by this stunt. The obvious intent by NBC was to evoke reaction, and we are confident our fans won't take the bait," he said.

"'Dateline' is looking into this story," NBC said in a statement. "We were intrigued by the results of a recent Washington Post/ABC News poll and other articles regarding increasing anti-Muslim sentiments in the United States.

"It's very early on in our newsgathering process, but be assured we will be visiting a number of locations across the country and are confident that our reporting team is pursuing this story in a fair manner," it said.

654589[/snapback]

Gee...I wonder if they are going to get a reaction because there is a !@#$ing camera crew following these people around? :(

People see cameras and people react.

654589[/snapback]

And yet it isn't surprising at all.

Gee...I wonder if they are going to get a reaction because there is a !@#$ing camera crew following these people around:(

People see cameras and people react.

654625[/snapback]

I wonder what would happen if they had someone dress like a jewish rabbi and had him walk around a street market in Syria.

Isn't Dateline the one that rigged a truck to explode for their story on trucks with faulty gas tanks a few years back?

I can't really say that I put a whole lot of credence in any of their "reporting".

It's Zach's birthday today. Did you send him a card?

654643[/snapback]

Yeah, I'll send him a card. If by "send" you mean "shoot" and by "a card" you mean "in the head with a sniper rifle."

Where is the damn FU smilie??

:(

Isn't Dateline the one that rigged a truck to explode for their story on trucks with faulty gas tanks a few years back?

I can't really say that I put a whole lot of credence in any of their "reporting".

654939[/snapback]

Don't forget NBC News also had that girl in a kayak (in 3 inches of water) with two guys walking by as part of their Katrina "coverage."

654589[/snapback]

It's funny, the horrible white male American that supposedly discriminates and harrasses all people that are different than themselves treats the Muslims fine. I wonder if a Hacidic Jew walking into a mosque would be harrassed. How about and white southerner with a Toby Keith shirt walking into a NAACP meeting. Tell me again how the mainstream media isn't biased?!

It's funny, the horrible white male American that supposedly discriminates and harrasses all people that are different than themselves treats the Muslims fine.  I wonder if a Hacidic Jew walking into a mosque would be harrassed.  How about and white southerner with a Toby Keith shirt walking into a NAACP meeting.  Tell me again how the mainstream media isn't biased?!

655153[/snapback]

The mainstream media isn't biased. The mainstream media is advertising driven, and are more likely to put on stories that will titillate the audience rather than inform it. It's a truism in media, that the mainstream audience does not want to be informed.

As long as the audience clings to the stereotypes you clearly describe, these news stories will continue.

My concern is that these organizations still carry the high air of operating as "News" divisions of their networks, when they have a closer proximity to Bruno, Borat & Colbert.

Don't forget NBC News also had that girl in a kayak (in 3 inches of water) with two guys walking by as part of their Katrina "coverage."

654972[/snapback]

Actually, I think that was NBC's morning show, not their news department.

Seems like a minor point...but I believe they have completely different producers, so it's an important one.

654972[/snapback]

....the Peabody award people were duly impressed. :)

Actually, I think that was NBC's morning show, not their news department.

Seems like a minor point...but I believe they have completely different producers, so it's an important one.

655196[/snapback]

It's not a minor point - Today is part of NBC's "News" division, not "Entertainment."

The mainstream media isn't biased.  The mainstream media is advertising driven, and are more likely to put on stories that will titillate the audience rather than inform it.  It's a truism in media, that the mainstream audience does not want to be informed.

As long as the audience clings to the stereotypes you clearly describe, these news stories will continue.

My concern is that these organizations still carry the high air of operating as "News" divisions of their networks, when they have a closer proximity to Bruno, Borat & Colbert.

655189[/snapback]

Good point, but they are only willing to throw white male Americans under the bus in order to entertain. You will not see the same story with blacks, muslims, females, or other minorities as the target of a racism sting.

Good point, but they are only willing to throw white male Americans under the bus in order to entertain.  You will not see the same story with blacks, muslims, females, or other minorities as the target of a racism sting.

655290[/snapback]

American white, heterosexual, Christian males are the root cause of all evil in the universe and responsible for "everything bad" in the world today. Everyone else is 1,000% innocent and incapable of wrongdoing of any kind.

Didnt you get the memo?

American white, heterosexual, Christian males are the root cause of all evil in the universe and responsible for "everything bad" in the world today. Everyone else is 1,000% innocent and incapable of wrongdoing of any kind.

Didnt you get the memo?

655406[/snapback]

I bet we'd even have universal health care if we got rid of all the white males.