Wilson Met With Gov. Pataki Yesterday

Mark VI

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3694

While Ralph and everyone else knows the future of the Bills in WNY is questionable beyond the current CBA 6 year agreement or sooner ( his death ), I wonder what was actually said to Pataki yesterday ?

Ralph has a cheap yearly out on the stadium lease but LA or any other city isn't ready for a franchise. Plus Ralph wouldn't move and remain the owner.

He'd sell. Is he considering it at age 87 ?

The inheritance tax upon his death would be extreme but is also negotiable. Maybe he doesn't want it to come to that.

Could he be asking Pataki if he knows any $$ people in NY he could contact for a possible sale ? A buyer who would try and keep the team here ? I can't see this being a request for aid anymore. Doesn't add up.

Interesting meeting. I bet Tom Golisano already knows exactly what was discussed. Call it a hunch.

New stadium.

651971[/snapback]

Doubt it, however a new stadium on the Rochester side of Buffalo would be awesome. It would go a long way to getting more WNY folks to games.

I hope not. Few benefit, and many pay. It would be an ugly thing to perpetrate on the already-aggrived Bflo, Eire County, and NYS taxpayers.

651991[/snapback]

Agreed.

Bloomberg failed miserably with his Manhattan stadium idea. Our County is broke and the State won't give a penny.

It wasn't about a stadium, since ours is fine.

Ralph talked with George because he'd heard George was a fan of football.

Ralph's interested in George as a backup plan in case his bold move with Marv goes south.

From what I heard, George indicated he might be available once he leave office next year - if he doesn't get the League Comissioner's job.

:)

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2005/30/301765.html

the bills had a 21% profit rate in 2004, and i'm guessing it was higher last year. and yet again -- just like in 1998 -- wilson goes crying to the governor about how he "can't compete." no doubt, he'll get what he wants -- no statewide elected official wants to see the last NY state team leave the state on his or her watch. and forget criticism from the buffalo news -- the bills' departure would effectively mean that 1/5 of their staff would be cut. wilson signed a 15 year lease in 98, but it was filled with all sorts of outs for the bills. like clockwork and as many predicted, he's decided that now's the time to issue threats so that he can suck in more millions.

anyway, expect this soap opera to play out for the next two years, with all sorts of wailing and gnashing of teeth amongst bills fans. but state officials will ultimately give in and build ralph -- or his successor -- a spanking new stadium courtesy of NYS taxpayers.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2005/30/301765.html

the bills had a 21% profit rate in 2004, and i'm guessing it was higher last year. and yet again -- just like in 1998 -- wilson goes crying to the governor about how he "can't compete." no doubt, he'll get what he wants -- no statewide elected official wants to see the last NY state team leave the state on his or her watch. and forget criticism from the buffalo news -- the bills' departure would effectively mean that 1/5 of their staff would be cut.  wilson signed a 15 year lease in 98, but it was filled with all sorts of outs for the bills.  like clockwork and as many predicted, he's decided that now's the time to issue threats so that he can suck in more millions.

anyway, expect this soap opera to play out for the next two years, with all sorts of wailing and gnashing of teeth amongst bills fans. but state officials will ultimately give in and build ralph -- or his successor -- a spanking new stadium courtesy of NYS taxpayers.

652435[/snapback]

Would a new stadium solve the problem?

Would a new stadium solve the problem?

652453[/snapback]

if it can solve the problem for green bay and cleveland, it can solve it for the bills. green bay is a significantly smaller market, and cleveland isn't much bigger than buffalo. moreover, they went from being a team with cash flow problems when they played at municipal stadium (although these were exaggerated by modell) to a team with one of the best cash flows once they got the fancy new stadium. green bay got a very nice new stadium a few years ago as well. a really nice 75,000 seat stadium with a few hundred luxury boxes would solve all of the bills alleged financial ills.

I may be mistaken, but I'd imagine this exact same scenario plays out in every NFL city. I don't think any of the owners build the stadiums with their own money. So why should Ralph?

I may be mistaken, but I'd imagine this exact same scenario plays out in every NFL city.  I don't think any of the owners build the stadiums with their own money.  So why should Ralph?

652456[/snapback]

many of them have had to kick in their own money, especially in cities that tell them to go fly a kite when they come begging because they have other things going on. san francisco, NE, the skins, and the jets/giants are all good examples. the difference is that that there is no way that the nfl wants to leave these places, so the teams give in to a degree.

if it can solve the problem for green bay and cleveland, it can solve it for the bills. green bay is a significantly smaller market, and cleveland isn't much bigger than buffalo. moreover, they went from being a team with cash flow problems when they played at municipal stadium (although these were exaggerated by modell) to a team with one of the best cash flows once they got the fancy new stadium. green bay got a very nice new stadium a few years ago as well. a really nice 75,000 seat stadium with a few hundred luxury boxes would solve all of the bills alleged financial ills.

652455[/snapback]

Green Bay simply remodeled their exsisting stadium and added skyboxes.

And WHO do you think paid-for these stadiums?