Is Winston Justice the best pick for us at #8?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-u...=yhoo&type=lgns

USC's big winner

By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports

April 2, 2006

LOS ANGELES – Winston Justice thrust his 320 pounds into the air, tapped a mechanism measuring his vertical leap and walked away with a twinge of disappointment. The delighted NFL onlookers be damned, 39 inches apparently wasn't enough.

"I thought I got 40, but they wouldn't give it to me," Justice said. "I thought I went higher."

If elevation was the goal, the University of Southern California tackle can rest assured that he pushed his draft stock to new heights Sunday. Justice was the big winner in the Trojans' annual pro day, entering as a top 15 through 20 pick, but looking more like top 10 material after putting on an impressive athletic display.

Not only did the USC right tackle register the best vertical jump and bench press performances (38 repetitions) of any of the premiere offensive linemen available, but he also put up a better pro day performance than Virginia offensive tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who is widely considered the No. 1 tackle in the draft. While the display likely won't move Justice ahead of Ferguson on draft boards, it cements what few thought was possible in this draft.

Two elite tackles will be available on selection day.

"That 39-inch vertical jump is off the charts for a big man," Carolina Panthers head coach John Fox said. "He's a really good football player on tape, and that's the No. 1 thing we look at. But he certainly didn't hurt himself today. … He's athletic enough to move to left tackle, that's for sure. It's just a matter of him getting comfortable. But Winston is a smart guy. He can handle that."

"It was more than what we expected," Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher said. "But you know, you could see flashes of that on the field. He's worked hard to get to this point."

Justice pulled his right hamstring and calf in the last few strides of his 40-yard dash, but still managed to clock a time of nearly five-flat seconds on stopwatches. His 10-yard split of 1.78 seconds suggests Justice could have run in the 4.9-range had he not pulled up at the very end. Despite the injury, he went though all of the drills, posting better numbers than Ferguson in the cone drills (7.37 seconds against Ferguson's 7.61) and shuttle (4.43 versus 4.85).

Justice weighed 15 pounds heavier than Ferguson at his pro day and still blew away the highly acclaimed Virginia product in the bench press (38-26 in reps) and vertical (39-30 in inches). And while Ferguson has spent the bulk of his career at left tackle and is known for being more technically sound, it wouldn't be surprising to hear some scouts suggest Justice is a better prospect.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just remember that a pro day is not football. I'm sure you have heard GM's or scouts or coaches say "he's a player" before.

Guys like Zach Thomas, Antoine Winfield, AJ Hawk (many more)

I'm not saying that Winston Justice isn't worthy of a high pick, but this is just one piece of the puzzle!

I believe Winston Justice is the player Marv is targetting and I don't terribly mind that at all. The history of offensive tackles who are in shape and picked in the top 10 becoming quality players is pretty good. Justice actually has more upside than Ferguson because he's just as great of an athlete on a bigger frame. Justice's negatives are his off the field issues, including soliciting a prostitute, and also brandishing a pellet gun in front of a fellow student. His maturity is a question mark and that makes him a risk because you don't know how he will handle getting millions. That's why Ngata is a risk as well -- you don't know whether he'll stay in shape and work hard every play after he receives millions, given that he had a rep for taking plays off in college before he was rich.

The reason I think Marv is targetting Winston Justice is simple. He fits the context of the other offseason moves we've made. Craig Nall, for example--he's Marv's boy and I believe the one that Marv and Jauron are rooting for to win the QB job. Nall is a pure pocket passer without much mobility. We need a huge upgrade in our pass blocking if he's going to have success. Also, we signed Andre Davis, who is a pure deep threat. This is in addition to already having deep threats Lee Evans and Roscoe Parrish on our roster. Do you think our coaching staff is planning on a downfield passing game? Yeah, just a bit. Well, we ain't gonna have one unless the QB gets time to throw. Taken together, I believe these moves indicate that the Bills' top priority is improving our pass protection and overall offensive line play.

We're not going to get DaBrick, so... Winston Justice is our prime target. I don't buy that Marv will be scared off by Justice's off the field incidents. Remember, Marv got his butt kicked twice in the Super Bowl by a Dallas team full of poor-character guys. He, of all people, understands that you can win and win big with troubled talent. In the end, I doubt Justice will need to pay for sex after he becomes a millionaire, and I don't think the pellet gun incident will foreshadow violent crimes in his future.

I think he's our boy. A phenomenal athlete at offensive tackle who can dominate in both pass blocking and run blocking. I'd be excited if he's the pick.

Did Winston Justice play RT or LT in college? Let's remember, Mike Williams!!! Wasn't he the stud RT who went up the charts into the top 10 after a great pro-day? Forget it, Justice is not worth the 8th pick. I think either Mario Williams or Vernan Davis or trade down.

Mike Williams was a fat guy that many people predicted would fail in the NFL, including myself. Winston Justice is in shape, has more overall talent, and was coached by a great offensive line coach at USC. This really isn't the case of an OT shooting up the draft boards; Winston Justice has always been held in high regard. If anything, it is the opposite. He's a top 10 talent who has seen his stock underrated because of off the field issues. To answer your question, though, he played RT in college but has the athleticism, long arms, and feet to play LT.

Did Winston Justice play RT or LT in college?  Let's remember, Mike Williams!!!  Wasn't he the stud RT who went up the charts into the top 10 after a great pro-day?  Forget it, Justice is not worth the 8th pick.  I think either Mario Williams or Vernan Davis or trade down.

650637[/snapback]

Yeah, but he played RT with a lefty QB, blocking his back side. He was essentially a LT in a conventional lineup with a righty QB.

Yeah, but he played RT with a lefty QB, blocking his back side.  He was essentially a LT in a conventional lineup with a righty QB.

650654[/snapback]

Well, the technique will still be different when he transitions over to the left side and there definitely will be an adjustment period. However, when you have a great athlete like him, the transition should be manageable. He has the feet, arms, and frame to be a left tackle.

Well, the technique will still be different when he transitions over to the left side and there definitely will be an adjustment period.  However, when you have a great athlete like him, the transition should be manageable.  He has the feet, arms, and frame to be a left tackle.

650655[/snapback]

Yes that's true...definitely different footwork, etc. However, you are right about him being an athlete...Something tells me that if USC started a righty the past two seasons, Justice would have been in the LT spot. It was just that Leinart needed him at RT.

Well, the technique will still be different when he transitions over to the left side and there definitely will be an adjustment period.  However, when you have a great athlete like him, the transition should be manageable.  He has the feet, arms, and frame to be a left tackle.

650655[/snapback]

I think if we draft him this year, he'll learn the position behind Gandy a while.

Everyone here knows that I a a BRICK fan, but I have to say that the gap between BRICK and Justice is not as big as a lot of people have made it. I like Justice a lot and if he can make the switch over to LT, then I give him a good chance at success.

With that said, BRICK is still the best LT in this draft. However, if he is gone by 8, which I am sure he will be, Justice might be a good pick here. I like that pick a lot better than Ngata or Bunkley at this spot. Everett is coming back and will be a very good TE, so Davis, as much as I think is a game changer, is not the pick here either. Now, I do like Huff as well and I think that he may be a possibility simply because we are playing a Cover 2 Scheme now and you need that kind of talent in the SS position. So, here is how I am seeing it break down right now:

IF DA BRICK and Super Mario are gone at 8, I think our pick comes down to Justice or Huff.

I believe Winston Justice is the player Marv is targetting and I don't terribly mind that at all.  The history of offensive tackles who are in shape and picked in the top 10 becoming quality players is pretty good.  Justice actually has more upside than Ferguson because he's just as great of an athlete on a bigger frame.  Justice's negatives are his off the field issues, including soliciting a prostitute, and also brandishing a pellet gun in front of a fellow student.  His maturity is a question mark and that makes him a risk because you don't know how he will handle getting millions.  That's why Ngata is a risk as well -- you don't know whether he'll stay in shape and work hard every play after he receives millions, given that he had a rep for taking plays off in college before he was rich.

The reason I think Marv is targetting Winston Justice is simple.  He fits the context of the other offseason moves we've made.  Craig Nall, for example--he's Marv's boy and I believe the one that Marv and Jauron are rooting for to win the QB job.  Nall is a pure pocket passer without much mobility.  We need a huge upgrade in our pass blocking if he's going to have success.  Also, we signed  Andre Davis, who is a pure deep threat.  This is in addition to already having deep threats Lee Evans and Roscoe Parrish on our roster.  Do you think our coaching staff is planning on a downfield passing game?  Yeah, just a bit.  Well, we ain't gonna have one unless the QB gets time to throw.  Taken together, I believe these moves indicate that the Bills' top priority is improving our pass protection and overall offensive line play.

We're not going to get DaBrick, so... Winston Justice is our prime target.  I don't buy that Marv will be scared off by Justice's off the field incidents.  Remember, Marv got his butt kicked twice in the Super Bowl by a Dallas team full of poor-character guys.  He, of all people, understands that you can win and win big with troubled talent.  In the end, I doubt Justice will need to pay for sex after he becomes a millionaire, and I don't think the pellet gun incident will foreshadow violent crimes in his future.

I think he's our boy.  A phenomenal athlete at offensive tackle who can dominate in both pass blocking and run blocking.  I'd be excited if he's the pick.

650616[/snapback]

The thing I worry about is how someone handles themself when they have off the field issure BEFORE they go to the NFL where there every need is catered to and they have the privelage to earn more in a year than 90% of America. I hope that if we do draft him, that he uses some common sense and realizes he is the public eye. Talent is great but its also nice to have quality people of character on the team. Unfortunately, they aren't always the best athletes on the team!

yes. we need a stud LT. Hopefully Justice can  make the move from RT from LT.

650577[/snapback]

You're joking right, RTs can always be moved to LT. That isn't an issue we should concern ourselves with.

#8 may be a little high for him, but I would be happy taking Justice in the 1st round, especially if we can trade down a few spots & get another Day 1 pick. Again, I feel there are so many ways the Bills can go with this pick, I love it.

Another thing I like if the Bills take Justice in the 1st is that it probably means they won't be taking a future bust like Eric Winston in the 2nd. :doh:

#8 may be a little high for him, but I would be happy taking Justice in the 1st round, especially if we can trade down a few spots & get another Day 1 pick. Again, I feel there are so many ways the Bills can go with this pick, I love it.

Another thing I like if the Bills take Justice in the 1st is that it probably means they won't be taking a future bust like Eric Winston in the 2nd. :D

650724[/snapback]

So you want to bring Justice to the City of Buffalo, pilgrim? :doh:

Yeah, but he played RT with a lefty QB, blocking his back side.  He was essentially a LT in a conventional lineup with a righty QB.

650654[/snapback]

Not that I am comparing the two players in any way with respect to their football ability or technique, but I gotta say hearing that statement makes me a little nauseous with Mike Williams deja vu. :doh: