why was Sam Adams cut if

he is the one gap type of defensive tackle that fits this defensive scheme the best?

many sources say the bills do not like Haloti Nagata because he is a two type hold the line guy while this defense needs one gap penetrators.

the mention Sam Adams as the prototype one gap penetrator and we just let him go :D

so either this is typical pre-draft babble or the bills just shot themsielves in the foot again.

Adams was a team problem because the Bills would not let him play one gap under meathead.

now they are installing a defense that fits him and they cut him so they can try to find another one.

i did not think he was that big of a cap hit.

JMO, but I'd have to think going AWOL after he was deactivated for the Carolina game didn't make a good impression. Perhaps Marv and Co. didn't want to deal with his disruptive influence (which has eventually shown up at most of his NFL stops).

That said, if used wisely he can still be an impact player, and the Bills' DL is worse without him. Marv was apparently willing to take that risk; we'll see whether or not that was a good decision. I have my doubts.

he is the one gap type of defensive tackle that fits this defensive scheme the best?

many sources say the bills do not like Haloti Nagata because he is a two type hold the line guy while this defense needs one gap penetrators.

the mention Sam Adams as the prototype one gap penetrator and we just let him go :D

so either this is typical pre-draft babble  or the bills just shot themsielves in the foot again.

Adams was a team problem because the Bills would not let him play one gap under meathead.

now they are installing a defense that fits him and they cut him so they can try to find another one.

649364[/snapback]

I am so tired of all the one gap, two gap stuff. All I know is that on the football field Sam Adams did not pick up the slack with Phat Pat gone.

Sam had problems with Meathead (I assume Mularkey) and others in the staff. I can'l totally blame Sam because many of the veterans had problems with Mularkey. Bottom line is that Sam is not a leader, he is a role player. Sometimes he is a very good role player. I won't miss Sam. It is time to draft our own players and play them.

Yeah, Lori is right, imo. The new regime wants to start fresh with as few poor personalities as possible. Personally, I think they should have kept Adams, since we won't be able to adequately replace him. Plus, if they're going to get rid of Adams for poor personality, why try to keep Moulds?

so either this is typical pre-draft babble  or the bills just shot themsielves in the foot again.

649364[/snapback]

he averaged like a tackle a game last year

he averaged like a tackle a game last year

649446[/snapback]

You think having a guard and center in his chest has anything to do with that. Oh and by the way, teams don't run at Sam Adams.

His job was, is and will be to take up blockers and free the middle linebacker up to make plays. It's why Fletcher has had good seasons. Watch as teams single up Tripplett and fire guards out at the linebackers to create holes and cut back lanes. Suddenly Fletcher is going to look real old and real slow when he can't fight through the lineman to get to the backs.

You think having a guard and center in his chest has anything to do with that. Oh and by the way, teams don't run at Sam Adams.

His job was, is and will be to take up blockers and free the middle linebacker up to make plays. It's why Fletcher has had good seasons. Watch as teams single up Tripplett and fire guards out at the linebackers to create holes and cut back lanes. Suddenly Fletcher is going to look real old and real slow when he can't fight through the lineman to get to the backs.

649453[/snapback]

Fletcher was making tackles before he played behind Adams and will continue to do so. Sam was not worth what he was getting paid

Good DT's still make tackles, Sam played awful last year...period

TD should've cut his fat ass in the middle of last season. After the Meathead situation, outside of a handful of plays, he was horrible the few times he made it on the field & he sucked before that. Sorry, but 2004 is over. If he had anything left in the tank, I don't think Marv would've dumped him, he could've cut Coy Wire, Fat Bennie and some other scrub & saved just about as much money.

All I know is that on the football field Sam Adams did not pick up the slack with Phat Pat gone. 

649434[/snapback]

Yeah, because Pat Williams was so good without Adams. :D

The Bills signed Adams because teams were running WILD on Pat Williams and Ron Edwards(and London Fletcher). Remember Ricky Williams putting up 400+ on the Bills in two games in 2002? Did Pat Williams suck? Funny how Williams seems to play better when he has had Ted Washington, Adams or Kevin Williams lined up next to him.

It astounds me the level of ignorance people here have with even THEIR OWN TEAM. Remember the blown lead at NE? Coincidentally, Adams was benched for the second half. Remember the blown lead at Miami? Adams benched again after taking a play off with an injury.

You'd think now that the Meathead fiasco is over, people might consider that Mularkey might have been cutting off his nose to spite his face, and his way of jerking Adams chain was playing time, because Adams had a ton of playing time incentives. The rest of the league did, and that's why Adams was voted as a Pro Bowl alternate.

Who wants to bet the Bengals defense gets A LOT better next season? :P

You'd think now that the Meathead fiasco is over, people might consider that Mularkey might have been cutting off his nose to spite his face,

649575[/snapback]

Same with Moulds, McGahee, and Clements.

While many players played like crap on their own and probably deserve to be called out, there isn't one person on this roster I wouldn't give a pass to if only basing their play on last year. Mularkey was absolute trash.

649364[/snapback]

I asked this same exact question earlier in the week in the thread that said we won't draft Ngata because of this one gap two gap stuff. Sam seems perfect for this setup.

an old, fat,slow and often injured and over paid iprima donna wth an attitude is not the way to anchor your defense

649451[/snapback]

The problem for us is the same one we had when folks accurately assessed Adams when he was first signed by the Bills that in essence he was a fat tub of goo.

Where many of these whining fans (we are fans so we are entitled to whine all we want to, the team just wants to be sure that the media which helps us whine so they call sell commercials just spells the names right) failed to look beyond a fairly accurate assessment of Adams play (he clearly was aging and on the backside of his career and had a proven rep for going on vacation for as many as half the plays in a game. was also recognizing , Adams had one of the fastest first steps in the game, an immense body, and great anticipation so OCs had to assign two blockers to him for a play headed his way and opposing players also needed to prepare for each play as though this would not be one where he took time off, because if he was actually playing they would get embarassed.

There were two keys to acquisition of Adams way back when:

1. He was a reasonably classified as a fat tub of goo, but even a fat tub of goo was a clear upgrade over the overmatched Edwards, an agin sub-Moran, or whatever else we had manning the DT post beside Phat Pat. He was a fat tub of goo but a clear upgrade in talent for us over what we had at his DT spot.

2. TD looked him in the eye and made a correct assessment that Sam Adams had finally grown up a bit and realized that he could no longer simply rely on his amazing first step as he did in the past, Adams proved not only to be an upgrade, but a great player for us who proved worthy of his Pro Bowl designation as numerous commentat noted that while the max you could expect from Sam was half a game before, we were getting 2/3 to 3/4 of a game out of him. Even better, TD got him to sign with us for less than what other teams were offering him.

The reason the Bills cut him was that they too made the decision that they could do better than "an old, fat,slow and often injured and over paid iprima donna wth an attitude" to build our DL running a cover 2 around.

However, do not make the mistake that simply because he is "an old, fat,slow and often injured and over paid iprima donna wth an attitude" that he would not be an upgrade over the folks like Edwards, Bannan, and Anderson who are on our roster.

The difficulty in cutting Adams who is a prototype player in terms of his real world production and size and capabilities, is that this left us with two holes to fill at DT with no reasonable prospects on roster to do this.

I think we cut him because his age and his unwillingness to think Bills first rather than me first as a player made him a good cut at a salary which had escalated with his good production (lousy in 05 like the rest of the D, but excellent as a Bill prior to last year's meltdown by the whole D).

I rise to agree with you in your assessment of Adams, but also to say that simply to leave the assessment at that point really makes for an inaccurate read on the Bills and what they are doing.

Adams actually played two positive roles for the Bills which would have made him a great player for us to have at DT in the cover 2. He is a penetrator and he is massive. Having cut him we really are setting up getting two players to fill these roles (Triplett is the penetrator and Ngata will be the massive stay at home run stopper who fortunately has the talent and speed to also penetrate from time to time).

You are right that Adams is an old, fat,slow and often injured and over paid iprima donna wth an attitude. but we mostly need to be happy that Tripplett could be acquired and probably Ngata can be picked allowing us to replace Adams talents which even though well into decline were better than what we had when the season ended.

The problem for us is the same one we had when folks accurately assessed Adams when he was first signed by the Bills that in essence he was a fat tub of goo. 

Where many of these whining fans (we are fans so we are entitled to whine all we want to, the team just wants to be sure that the media which helps us whine so they call sell commercials just spells the names right) failed to look beyond a fairly accurate assessment of Adams play (he clearly was aging and on the backside of his career and had a proven rep for going on vacation for  as many as half the plays in a game.  was also recognizing , Adams had one of the fastest first steps in the game, an immense body, and great anticipation so OCs had to assign two blockers to him for a play headed his way and opposing players also needed to prepare for each play as though this would not be one where he took time off, because if he was actually playing they would get embarassed.

There were two keys to acquisition of Adams way back when:

1. He was a reasonably classified as a fat tub of goo, but even a fat tub of goo was a clear upgrade over the overmatched Edwards, an agin sub-Moran, or whatever else we had manning the DT post beside Phat Pat.  He was a fat tub of goo but a clear upgrade in talent for us over what we had at his DT spot.

2.  TD looked him in the eye and made a correct assessment that Sam Adams had finally grown up a bit and realized that he could no longer simply rely on his amazing first step as he did in the past,  Adams proved not only to be an upgrade, but a great player for us who proved worthy of his Pro Bowl designation as numerous commentat noted that while the max you could expect from Sam was half a game before, we were getting 2/3 to 3/4 of a game out of him. Even better, TD got him to sign with us for less than what other teams were offering him.

The reason the Bills cut him was that they too made the decision that they could do better than "an old, fat,slow and often injured and over paid iprima donna wth an attitude" to build our DL running a cover 2 around.

However, do not make the mistake that simply because he is "an old, fat,slow and often injured and over paid iprima donna wth an attitude" that he would not be an upgrade over the folks like Edwards, Bannan, and Anderson who are on our roster.

The difficulty in cutting Adams who is a prototype player in terms of his real world production and size and capabilities, is that this left us with two holes to fill at DT with no reasonable prospects on roster to do this.

I think we cut him because his age and his unwillingness to think Bills first rather than me first as a player made him a good cut at a salary which had escalated with his good production (lousy in 05 like the rest of the D, but excellent as a Bill prior to last year's meltdown by the whole D).

I rise to agree with you in your assessment of Adams, but also to say that simply to leave the assessment at that point really makes for an inaccurate read on the Bills and what they are doing.

Adams actually played two positive roles for the Bills which would have made him a great player for us to have at DT in the cover 2.  He is a penetrator and he is massive.  Having cut him we really are setting up getting two players to fill these roles (Triplett is the penetrator and Ngata will be the massive stay at home run stopper who fortunately has the talent and speed to also penetrate from time to time).

You are right that Adams is an old, fat,slow and often injured and over paid iprima donna wth an attitude. but we mostly need to be happy that Tripplett could be acquired and probably Ngata can be picked allowing us to replace Adams talents which even though well into decline were better than what we had when the season ended.

649620[/snapback]

whatever talent Adams had was wasted because he was always injured due to the excessive weight he insisted on lugging around.

It's even worse than you think -- Edwards (KC) and Bannan (Baltimore) are gone. Our current lineup at DT: Larry Tripplett, Tim Anderson, Lauvale Sape, Jason Jefferson, LaWaylon Brown, Faafetai Tupa'i.

whatever talent Adams had was wasted because he was always injured due to the excessive weight he insisted on lugging around.

649633[/snapback]

Remarkable, then, that he only missed three games - and one of those even though he claimed he was healthy enough to play - during his three seasons in Buffalo.