Bills sign Fowler...

ACor58

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, I applaud this signing since we need about 320339830 new offensive lineman. Even ones which werent the best with other teams are a good start. OUr guys have been garbage, but clearly that is not news to anyone around here.

I like this move, he is a solid player. It shall be interesting to see if he stays at C and competes w/ Preston or moves to G and competes w/ Snderson. OR my choice we should make an offer to Neil, already talked to the guy he deffinetly has good "charecter" qualities, and have Neil start and fowler and Preston at C

How can you say he isn't good enough to start?  He was very solid from the games i saw him in last year.  They went 7-2 when he started.

638389[/snapback]

His position coaches claimed he was playing better than Faine in '04 season....sounds like he could be inconsistent but a more natural center than Teague, and not as naive to things like stunts as Duke.

My Vcoach must be going slow tonight - I haven't gotten it yet....

Reading a bit around the web on him, Melvin seems to be a pretty good athlete, is not super powerful in run blocking but doesn't make many mistakes, is a bit light for a center, can be blown up from time to time, but can work well in space.

According to this page, he had no penalties in nine games started last year, and allowed two sacks.

All in all, I like this signing, if indeed it is true.

per V-Coach.

Started 9 games at center for Minnesota in 2005.

Sounds like more depth to me.

638368[/snapback]

What did the Vikes give up to acquire him last season?... ESPN archive says he was acquired in a Labor Day trade, no further details...

A 3rd round pick that another team thought enough to trade for... Subsequently starts nine games without a penalty... Probably signed for second/third tier free agent money at a position where Buffalo is weak...

I've heard worse...

Athletic Vikings center Fowler hits his stride against Detroit

Sid Hartman, Star Tribune

November 11, 2005

Melvin Fowler, the center the Vikings acquired from the Browns in a trade for offensive tackle Nat Dorsey, received high marks for his play in the team's victory over the Lions. He has solidified the team's line, which had been shaky early in the season.

"He was our highest grader in the offensive line," said offensive coordinator and line coach Steve Loney. "He got out and was pulling and blocking linebackers. I think he was a key element to our success. He's very athletic, and he's got great balance. He can get banged around and always stays on his feet. That certainly is probably his strongest point."

Fowler, who was a third-round pick by Cleveland in 2002 and started 14 of his 30 games there, replaced Cory Withrow at center three weeks ago.

"He's settling in," Loney said. "Protections, and all those things, that's the part that he will continue to grow in. He certainly is getting a feel for the offense."

Matt Birk, the Vikings' Pro Bowl center who is out for the season after hip surgery, described Fowler "as an exceptional athlete. He's doing a good job of picking up the offense and the nuances that go along with it.

"Every player has strengths. As far as athletically and pulling around, I don't know if I've ever seen a lineman as athletic as he is."

St. Paul Pioneer Press

January 3, 2006

The Vikings' offensive line had its share of problems. But several players' futures became clearer Monday. Although the Vikings hope Matt Birk can return to the lineup, they are interested in keeping Melvin Fowler, who started nine games this season. Fowler has other ideas.

Asked where he wants to play, Fowler said: "It doesn't matter where I go, as long as I have the opportunity to start. That's where I want to be." Asked about being a backup to Birk, Fowler said starting is a "priority."

I like what it says about moving in space, the past few years the bills havent had a single guy who could move in space it seemed, although Jason Peters showed some glimpses last year. Center is a good position for a guy with that skill set......with that being said I am a fan of this signing.

I still like to see another Guard and Tackle be brought in with the rest of our FA money...then focus on the draft.

638466[/snapback]

I agree, I just don't want us reaching to sign someone. I am more than willing to see what the draft containd and who becomes available after the June 1st cuts.