Larry Allen Released

You have to love a guy when the first line of his Scout's inc profile talks about his excellent bulk...

Possesses excellent bulk, engulfs undersized defenders at the point of attack and can wear defenders down over the course of a game. Shows adequate initial quickness and rarely takes false steps. Takes good angles to blocks and generally gets into good position. Plays with a wide base and rarely gives ground to bull rushers despite the fact bends at the waist rather than the knees. Has lost some quickness with age and has problems keeping upper echelon one-gap defenders out of the backfield. No longer has great range and isn't as effective pulling and trapping. Lacks ideal agility, doesn't always play under control in space and has some problems adjusting to the moving target at the second level. While shows good awareness in pass protection needs to do a better job of sliding off original block to pick up the linebacker when combo run blocking with center. Fails to extend arms at times, tends to wear down late in games and effort appears somewhat inconsistent.

By Dallas per NFL Network

638257[/snapback]

No, I want long term answers at OL, I'm tired of short term solutions which are shorter than expected as their not as good as expected. Let Larry go to Seattle to replace Hutch or a team that only needs him for a year or two not a team like ours that needs a guy for three maybe four years.

No, I want long term answers at OL, I'm tired of short term solutions which are shorter than expected as their not as good as expected. Let Larry go to Seattle to replace Hutch or a team that only needs him for a year or two not a team like ours that needs a guy for three maybe four years.

638278[/snapback]

I don't think anyone here insinuated he come to Buffalo.

Guest BackInDaDay
Oh yeah it isn't like we need a player of that caliber or anything.....

BRING HIM IN

638300[/snapback]

If younger, more able O linemen weren't considered good bang for the buck, why would Levy be interested in Allen? He's no bargain, either.

We will not be signing any big contract - big bonus FAs.

His main value would be mentoring the younger guys and filling in until those younger guys are ready to start. That's what happened in Dallas and now he is looking for a new place. I would not be surprised if he just retires though.

If younger, more able O linemen weren't considered good bang for the buck, why would Levy be interested in Allen?  He's no bargain, either. 

We will not be signing any big contract - big bonus FAs.

638308[/snapback]

I'm not sure why DAL released him. Money? They think he's washed up?

I'm not sure why DAL released him.  Money? They think he's washed up?

638969[/snapback]

Saved them about 3.5M if the reports I've heard here are accurate. He is also a shell of his former self (a big shell), and here they vividly remember how he was. Still prolly a decent pick-up for one year, maybe two. Don't expect him to come in an be a mentor though. His MO in Dallas is anything but that.

Saved them about 3.5M if the reports I've heard here are accurate.  He is also a shell of his former self (a big shell), and here they vividly remember how he was.  Still prolly a decent pick-up for one year, maybe two.  Don't expect him to come in an be a mentor though.  His MO in Dallas is anything but that.

639093[/snapback]

Thanks. I kinda put him into the catagory of "Act Now! This Offer Will Not Be Repeated!" stuff. :doh: