DT Monsato Pope to Visit Monday

God, if we can sign the Pope maybe there is hope....plus it would do wonders for the whole Jewish/Catholic feud thing. Marv has to be one of the most respected members of the Jewish faith...an honorary rabbi or something.

Bunkley would be an ausome addition and I like him better then Ngata, but we won't be taking him.  Ngata will be the choice if we go with DT.  We need a big fat space eating DT, not a penetrating one.

635697[/snapback]

Ehh the big misconseption. BIG AND FAT= Run Stoping Not fat= Penetrating. Broderick Bunkley can do both and do both quit well. He's as strong as an ox, can hold point or penetrate gaps. A Penetrating dt does not just mean pass rushing. Penetrating gaps also blows away running lanes, and of course forces qbs to make quicker decisions. Bunkley and I'm no Mel Kiper would be a better fit for the style of defense the bills coaching staff wants to run. Perry Fewell needs his Tommie Harris. Bunkley looks like he'd fit that Bill.

Ehh  the big misconseption.  BIG AND FAT= Run Stoping  Not fat= Penetrating.  Broderick Bunkley can do both and do both quit well.  He's as strong as an ox, can hold point or penetrate gaps.  A Penetrating dt does not just mean pass rushing. Penetrating gaps also blows away running lanes, and of course forces qbs to make quicker decisions.    Bunkley and I'm no Mel Kiper would be a better fit for the style of defense the bills coaching staff wants to run.  Perry Fewell needs his Tommie Harris.  Bunkley looks like he'd fit that Bill.

635730[/snapback]

True - people need to read Kollar's quotes in the BB.com def coaches interview

Are you looking for some bulk inside to complete the guys you have?

BK: How our scheme is set up I don't think you need a guy that is 350 or 400 pounds to stop the run. In St. Louis we had a guy that was 280 pounds and they didn't run on him. You've got to play with leverage and you've got to run to the ball. It takes all 11 guys to stop the run. The defensive tackles get blamed for getting ripped but you've got linebackers behind them and you've got safeties behind them. It takes everybody to be in the right gaps, playing the correct technique and running to the football. If somebody does break out you want somebody there to track him down. But some teams feel opposite and want that guy there that is 350 or 375. We don't feel that way. We want our guys in good condition where they can play an entire game and run to the ball every snap.

def coaches interview

Who are these guys?

I consider myself a fairly well-read and knowledgeable fan, but I've never even heard of these guys. Most of thems ound like backups to backups. We're spending an awful lot of payroll on unproven guys. Let's hope at least one of them turns out. If not, We could be in for a pretty dreadful season.

Started in 04 when Trevor Pryce was hurt and the Bronco's were the fourth best run D in the NFL (94 yards per game)..then they went out and spent heavily on the D-line and Pope was inactive 14 of 16 games this year...Pope Monsanto the First

635678[/snapback]

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY HE WAS DE ACTIVATED AFTER A STRONG SHOWING IN '04.

Ehh the big misconseption. BIG AND FAT= Run Stoping Not fat= Penetrating. Broderick Bunkley can do both and do both quit well. He's as strong as an ox, can hold point or penetrate gaps. A Penetrating dt does not just mean pass rushing. Penetrating gaps also blows away running lanes, and of course forces qbs to make quicker decisions. Bunkley and I'm no Mel Kiper would be a better fit for the style of defense the bills coaching staff wants to run. Perry Fewell needs his Tommie Harris. Bunkley looks like he'd fit that Bill.

635730[/snapback]

[/quI

I couldn't agree with you more. I think Bunkley is the right choice for us, I am tired of these 350+ slobs who could only tackle a pizza. Bunkley could apply pressure either way. I am a Florida State fan and I watched him destroy double teams all year, he has a great center of gravity and is a beast in the weight room, see his 44 reps of 225lb. SICK. This is a guy we cannot pass on. to be 310 lbs of muscle is unreal.

Ehh  the big misconseption.  BIG AND FAT= Run Stoping  Not fat= Penetrating.  Broderick Bunkley can do both and do both quit well.  He's as strong as an ox, can hold point or penetrate gaps.  A Penetrating dt does not just mean pass rushing. Penetrating gaps also blows away running lanes, and of course forces qbs to make quicker decisions.    Bunkley and I'm no Mel Kiper would be a better fit for the style of defense the bills coaching staff wants to run.  Perry Fewell needs his Tommie Harris.  Bunkley looks like he'd fit that Bill.

635730[/snapback]

Exactly.

If we were picking 12th or so i'd prob put my house and car on the line that we'd take Bunkley....I'm just worried that being in the 8th spot the fashionable notion is that it's too high to take the 2nd rated tackle in the draft.....i don't subscribe to this idea as I'd also love to see Bunkley in red white and blue.

Who are these guys?

I consider myself a fairly well-read and knowledgeable fan....

635891[/snapback]

that was your first mistake... ;) JK JK...

"Synergy is the intangible effect of great teamwork, where the overall team becomes more than a sum of its parts. The old story of 1+1+1=14 can easily be applied to New England: average players and late-round picks buy into the team concept, and work to their ability in a selfless way that makes the whole team more successful, and more successful than any other team in the league right now.

Forget those position-by-position matchups that the media likes to do. It doesn’t apply to the Pats. They’d probably lose every single battle, but they win the war.

Our Packers, unfortunately, are becoming the anti-Patriots, and I don’t believe that’s a good thing. We see talent at nearly every position, and we constantly fret about how they are underachieving. Favre has taken heat. Green has taken heat. Hunt is in the oven with the setting on “high”. Sharper, Carroll. Even the players who are actually playing well are getting criticism, like Barnett and Harris and Driver. Oh, don’t forget the criticism of the coaches. Burning effigy of Mike Sherman, anyone? The Slowik effigy has finally burned out.

As the media and fans search to find a formula that explains our problems, it becomes painfully noticeable that two things are prevalent:

a) nearly everyone boils the problem down to one person or player on the team;

and

b) nearly every person or player on the team has had a finger pointed at them by somebody as being the problem.

Not good. The critics of the team have focused so much on their “pet problem”, without realizing that each my simply be a symptom of a greater problem.

Teamwork. Synergy. Playing together on the same page. Team first, me second. Goals. “Super Bowl or Bust”.

I am in full awareness that there are many people who are more qualified than me to evaluate players and their performances. Not being a scout and having limited statistical experience (though I did get an A in Stats in college), I know that many here have leads and information I can’t have access to."

For the full article....A new concept - the TEAM

that was your first mistake... ;)  JK JK...

"Synergy is the intangible effect of great teamwork, where the overall team becomes more than a sum of its parts. The old story of 1+1+1=14 can easily be applied to New England: average players and late-round picks buy into the team concept, and work to their ability in a selfless way that makes the whole team more successful, and more successful than any other team in the league right now.

Forget those position-by-position matchups that the media likes to do. It doesn’t apply to the Pats. They’d probably lose every single battle, but they win the war.

Our Packers, unfortunately, are becoming the anti-Patriots, and I don’t believe that’s a good thing. We see talent at nearly every position, and we constantly fret about how they are underachieving. Favre has taken heat. Green has taken heat. Hunt is in the oven with the setting on “high”. Sharper, Carroll. Even the players who are actually playing well are getting criticism, like Barnett and Harris and Driver. Oh, don’t forget the criticism of the coaches. Burning effigy of Mike Sherman, anyone? The Slowik effigy has finally burned out.

As the media and fans search to find a formula that explains our problems, it becomes painfully noticeable that two things are prevalent:

a) nearly everyone boils the problem down to one person or player on the team;

and

b) nearly every person or player on the team has had a finger pointed at them by somebody as being the problem.

Not good. The critics of the team have focused so much on their “pet problem”, without realizing that each my simply be a symptom of a greater problem.

Teamwork. Synergy. Playing together on the same page. Team first, me second. Goals. “Super Bowl or Bust”.

I am in full awareness that there are many people who are more qualified than me to evaluate players and their performances. Not being a scout and having limited statistical experience (though I did get an A in Stats in college), I know that many here have leads and information I can’t have access to."

For the full article....A new concept - the TEAM

636052[/snapback]

I just love how everyone in the league takes a look at the patriots and say that they just plug anyone and everyone in and it works.

The patriots have arguably the best QB in the AFC, one of the better OL, three of the best LBs (or at least they used to), a solid RB and two under-rated receivers (or at least they used to). They're not a team of talentLESS nobodies. They have real talent on their team, much more than Buffalo does. And that's the difference.

You can't just bring in nobodies for the sake of building a "team" with "character", you need to bring in guys with TALENT.

The bills used to have superstars at key positions. They used to have a top-notch OL. THEN they added role-players.

I'm sorry, but the guys Marv's brought in now with the exception of Tripplett are just that. Small-time role players.

I just love how everyone in the league takes a look at the patriots and say that they just plug anyone and everyone in and it works.

The patriots have arguably the best QB in the AFC, one of the better OL, three of the best LBs (or at least they used to), a solid RB and two under-rated receivers (or at least they used to). They're not a team of talentLESS nobodies. They have real talent on their team, much more than Buffalo does. And that's the difference.

You can't just bring in nobodies for the sake of building a "team" with "character", you need to bring in guys with TALENT.

The bills used to have superstars at key positions. They used to have a top-notch OL. THEN they added role-players.

I'm sorry, but the guys Marv's brought in now with the exception of Tripplett are just that. Small-time role players.

636060[/snapback]

Point being Joe, that these guys, when brought in...WERE NO NAMES.

Point being Joe, that these guys, when brought in...WERE NO NAMES.

636064[/snapback]

OK, let's operate under the misguided assumption you're correct. What are the odds that other teams will have the same success taking a boatload of shots in the dark, trying to find the next unheralded nobody?

Do you believe that the odds are better doing that than bringing in established talent?

Because last I checked, only one team's been successful with that blueprint in the NFl.

OK, let's operate under the misguided assumption you're correct. What are the odds that other teams will have the same success taking a boatload of shots in the dark, trying to find the next unheralded nobody?

Do you believe that the odds are better doing that than bringing in established talent?

Because last I checked, only one team's been successful with that blueprint in the NFl.

636083[/snapback]

so tell me Joe...how have the Redskins done the last few years bringing in all that "established talent"?